Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

one of those days and my first Confrontation but a great picture

Get your self one of those fake police badges and flash it at the ones coming to question you about your flight. Tell them they will need to appear in court for the case you are working on. You will see them run for the hills as they want no part of the legal system :)

Funny, but please make sure people know this post is in jest......impersonating a Peace Officer is a very serious offense.

Reactions: Docdor
Funny, but please make sure people know this post is in jest......impersonating a Peace Officer is a very serious offense.
Ya OK it is in jest, really did not think people of our age really needed to be reminded of that but for the sake of safety its a joke people.

I mean:

Reactions: thetrecker and PatR
It only takes one, and in the years I’ve been participating in the various brand forums here there have been many that would do it.

I know man, I hear ya....but you never know who is just dropping by because a Google search picked up the thread. I don’t think any of the registered regulars would be so foolish.

Only happened once for me, the guy walked half a mile to me to claim I flew over his house, I told him he can view my footage, he stank of alcohol, "Why don't you fly in the middle of nowhere" I told him "We are, nothing except your house in completely opposite direction" started to get closer and more aggressive, I told him I'm legal, he then left, claiming he was a pilot and knew the rules after about ten minutes walked away.

I was flying at my local spot a park very large wide open area. Someone called the police, The officer drive right up on the grass to check me out. I asked if there were any problems he said no and reported someone called, but since there are ordinances for flying he said just don't fly over anyone's head........................................... lots of dog walkers there. He was nice about it and left. When is the public going to tune in and get the proper education? Some have no clue!

Reactions: thetrecker
We will always have people complaining, they feel it's thier duty as disgruntled citizens.?

Reactions: thetrecker
The vast majority of the public has never seen a video or photo they actually attribute to a drone. They don’t even recognize where drone imagery is being used in movie, TV, and commercial ad programming when they see it.

Their fears and anger is fueled only by what they see and hear on the evening news. It’s sad to say the majority if the public is ignorant in a great many areas, easily fooled, susceptible to even the mist simple forms of advertising, and want to be led down any path that makes them think they are safer or don’t have to work as hard. Put that all together and it might appear the general public is largely lazy and stupid.

Are you guys suggesting that as a recreational pilot, I should wear a safety vest and maybe even a hard hat to look more "official"? How would I handle the inevitable questions about "what's going on here?" "I'm collecting archival video" (for my own use...). There's probably no law against impersonating a contractor.
So far, the only confrontations I've had in nearly 3 years with my TH (while wearing plain cloths) were curiosity and interest. Oh, except this one fella who approached me about my flying near his B&B. He was initially worried that his guests would feel I was invading their privacy. When I showed him the view from the drone, he dropped his concern and left.

Are you guys suggesting that as a recreational pilot, I should wear a safety vest and maybe even a hard hat to look more "official"? How would I handle the inevitable questions about "what's going on here?" "I'm collecting archival video" (for my own use...). There's probably no law against impersonating a contractor.
So far, the only confrontations I've had in nearly 3 years with my TH (while wearing plain cloths) were curiosity and interest. Oh, except this one fella who approached me about my flying near his B&B. He was initially worried that his guests would feel I was invading their privacy. When I showed him the view from the drone, he dropped his concern and left.

For me, my work involves being mostly in neighborhoods in the middle of the day to take Real Estate Photos. To do this I am often walking around the houses I shoot and between neighboring houses. Many of these lots are not big and you can have homes twelve feet apart so the way I see it is: Dressing in a manner that not only looks professional but also clearly not trying to hide by wearing a bright yellow safety vest sort of eases peoples mind should the look out their window and see a stranger near their house.

In addition I always make sure the Realtor or home owners at least tries to notify neighbors of our date and time of shooting. So far in two years I have only had one incident and it was minor. When I am flying for fun or at the field shooting video I don't wear it.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
For me, my work involves being mostly in neighborhoods in the middle of the day to take Real Estate Photos. To do this I am often walking around the houses I shoot and between neighboring houses. Many of these lots are not big and you can have homes twelve feet apart so the way I see it is: Dressing in a manner that not only looks professional but also clearly not trying to hide by wearing a bright yellow safety vest sort of eases peoples mind should the look out their window and see a stranger near their house.

In addition I always make sure the Realtor or home owners at least tries to notify neighbors of our date and time of shooting. So far in two years I have only had one incident and it was minor. When I am flying for fun or at the field shooting video I don't wear it.

What @Ty Pilot says actually makes a lot of sense.

Look like we know what we are doing.
Look like we are confident in our activities.
Look like we are on the up and up.
Look like we care about those around us.
Look professional, regardless if flying for fun or profit.
Look like we take our privileges seriously.

Jeff

P.S. not implying Ty is the only one making sense. Just a “real life” scenario hitting home.

It's about using common sense and understanding / being aware of your surroundings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval