Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal calibration

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have had some issues with my camera and just want to check if this is normal.

So if I do the gimbal calibration and it is finished the pan knob and switch will not work properly. For exampel I rotate the camera 180 degrees and then flick the pan switch up, it will not rotate back to facing front. If I restart the H after calibration every thing works fine again.

Can some one please test this. I don't know if it is a camera or firmware issue.

Jeroen do you mean that you don't have the issue at all after a restart or that it works until you do another calibration?

I have now decided to calibrate gimbal and then restart TH as standard gimbal calibration procedure. Makes sense with lots of computer diagnostics so why not this?. No problems when this is followed.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I have now decided to calibrate gimbal and then restart TH as standard gimbal calibration procedure. Makes sense with lots of computer diagnostics so why not this?. No problems when this is followed.

I shut down after compass and gimbal cali's - compass is rare like you say, take the camera off - and accel, well thats just a no brainer to do it, shut down put on the props and restart :) Road trip Friday hope to get some cool stuff but 4 hours round trip not sure Ill be doing the compass

Last edited:
I shut down after compass and gimbal cali's compass is rare like you say, take the camera off and accel, well thats just a no brainer do it, shut down put on the props and restart :) Roda trip Friday hope to get some cool stuff but 4 hours round trip not sure Ill be doing the compass
After my crazy fly away and even with the new set up post warranty claim, I'm going to compass calibrate anytime I'm in a new area if the conditions allow. For my own peace of mind if nothing else.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Restart and even a reset didn't work for me...camera remained tilted 45 degrees downward after ST16 calibration. Called Yuneec CS and still couldn't resolve. Had to send mine in.

After my crazy fly away and even with the new set up post warranty claim, I'm going to compass calibrate anytime I'm in a new area if the conditions allow. For my own peace of mind if nothing else.

It won't hurt to re-cal but if under a hundred miles or a bit more probably not necessary. If it remains within the same magnetic declination zone it's probably not needed, but safe always beats sorry. Just remove the gimbal before you do. What a compass cal would put a gimbal through, even with the lock installed, is brutal on those little accelerometers and actuators. When placed upside down the gimbal does bad things to itself. I would be surprised if a gimbal didn't have a leaning horizon after only a couple compass cals with the gimbal attached.

Jeroen do you mean that you don't have the issue at all after a restart or that it works until you do another calibration?

The problem was solved after a restart. But when I changed my battery for a new flight, the issue with the gimbal returened. So I restarted the H and the problem was gone.

I have not flown the H since. Not becouse I don't want to, but because I have had no time to fly.

So does yours have a issue even if you don't do the gimbal calibration? My H only has it after the cal, when I restart it it is fine.

Okay can someone please try this!! Move the tilt slider all the way up. Now flick the tilt mode switch back and forth between lower and middle possition. Does your camera move up and down?

Okay can someone please try this!! Move the tilt slider all the way up. Now flick the tilt mode switch back and forth between lower and middle possition. Does your camera move up and down?
Yes, of course (if I got right your question).
In the lower position the switch acts as a relative slider. In other words, camera position is not related to slider position, but the operator moves the camera up and down moving the slider off the center. It is proportional, so you can control how quick the camera tilts. The nicest part is that the gimbal is no more limited to horizontal, but it goes up.

Hi guys, I have had some issues with my camera and just want to check if this is normal.

So if I do the gimbal calibration and it is finished the pan knob and switch will not work properly. For exampel I rotate the camera 180 degrees and then flick the pan switch up, it will not rotate back to facing front. If I restart the H after calibration every thing works fine again.

Can some one please test this. I don't know if it is a camera or firmware issue.
Hi guys. I am new here, and i have the same issue on the camera calibration after FW upgrade.

I just live with it. I restart my H after calibration and all works well. If it is a fw issue I hope they fix it with the next upgrade.

Idk since I've owned my H for about 3 months now, even after I've done countless FW Updates, I haven't re-calibrated anything on my H & everything has always worked for me with no issues. But how Yuneec tells you to do re-calibration if you travel further than 100 miles away from your usually area that you fly I've net had to pay any attention to it as I've not traveled anywhere with my H until now that I brought it down with me to Arizona (live in Utah) so 1 state away, but I've successfully flown it about 6 times but we are staying at my Aunts home in Glendale which is where I first flew it but I have 2 other aunt's & my grandfather that live about 12 miles away, I brought it with me to their home 12 miles away & did 3 flight then brang it back to where I'm staying & during the first flight when after I'd come back to where I've been staying my H was acting odd for example acting as if it were in windy conditions when there was little to no wind at all & when I came into land it instead of landing as it always has ie come down basically straight vertically it kept moving from side to side in 6-10 foot increments as well as front to back (& NO I made sure that my object avoidance was fully turned off & my switch was in angle mode the entire time). So needless to say i'm now convinced that calibrating at least the compass if not all of it each time you travel away from your usual area more than 100 miles is a great idea.

Oh & on the part where after a calibration the H acts odd if you go straight from calibration to flying without first restarting it in between!! That Is Not an issue at all in my book, but rather user error, because if any of you think that is an issue & you own a computer of any kind which includes smart phones & tablets then I honestly do not think that you are fit & able to be in the controls of any kind of RC vehicle that has blades that revolve around at thousands of RPM because you should know that after installing or uninstalling anything from a computer etc. that a message pops up on the screen telling you it is necessary to restart or it does it for you, so really this all should be common sense & I'm not trying to bash on anyone or be demeaning at all but i just find it extreme hard for someone not to know these basic things especially because even if you don't own any kind of computer device, in the world we all live in today there is more than a 99% chance that you've been exposed to them hundreds of times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval