Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal spinning around on power up

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I had a bit of an issue with a palm tree, I inadvertently decided it needed a few palm fronds trimmed ;), which my TH didn't like very much and it came down a lot harder than it should have. :(

Broken landing strut, broken motor arm and broken gimbal. Strut and motor arm fixed, but the gimbal was a bit tougher.

Gimbal separated from the top mounting plate and slip ring wires pulled out. huh...that's not a great design. Anyway, contacted Yuneec and some 3rd party repair houses and instead of waiting the weeks to send it in and get fixed, I'm pretty mechanical so I bought the parts to do it myself.

Received a new slip ring motor, surprisingly it did not come with the white connector or the board with the contacts to attach to the mounting plate.

Found this video on how to install.

Typhoon H Slip Ring Yaw Motor Repair

Re-used the white connector and then soldered the leads to my existing contacts board. Re-assembled.

Now the issue....

On power up, the gimbal spins around in circles. It won't stop. I then dissembled and checked all my connections. Everything looks good.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Possible solution? I'm stumped and haven't been able to find anything to solve this problem online.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
ZenLife

Did you reuse the old motor or the put in the new motor?
Double check your solder and check pin out making sure you didn't switch a wire.

Hey Guys,

So I had a bit of an issue with a palm tree, I inadvertently decided it needed a few palm fronds trimmed ;), which my TH didn't like very much and it came down a lot harder than it should have. :(

Gimbal separated from the top mounting plate and slip ring wires pulled out. huh...that's not a great design.

There's nothing wrong with the gimbal design, I have 3 of them and after over a year of use the only one that has broken did so after impacting a tree. Was the broken gimbal a design failure or one induced by impact with an immovable object? I'll strongly suggest it was not a design issue. If we don't run into things we don't break things. They are built to fly, not crash.

Good luck with your repair endeavor though.

Did you reuse the old motor or the put in the new motor?
Double check your solder and check pin out making sure you didn't switch a wire.
I reused the old motor.

Checked the pin outs and solder points, will check again, but pretty confident they are correct.

There's nothing wrong with the gimbal design, I have 3 of them and after over a year of use the only one that has broken did so after impacting a tree. Was the broken gimbal a design failure or one induced by impact with an immovable object? I'll strongly suggest it was not a design issue. If we don't run into things we don't break things. They are built to fly, not crash.
Ha...Excellent point. I guess my poor design thought was that the failure point in the event of impact or a crash should be designed to be an easier repair, not a forced separation of leads from a solder point or getting them yanked out of the slip ring. A connector that disconnects on a pull would be a much easier repair, and this (to me) a better design.

But you are correct, if not for the tree and a hard landing, all would be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital