Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

good news about a runaway drone

Reaction score
well did the update about a week ago and wanted to try it out with out the gps (seen video how fast it would go) well to say the least the SOB got away from me and took off (me being a new pilot freaked out) so i plug in the st16 to find the last coordinates and went on the hunt for my H, well i found it about 1/2 mile away and to my surprise the typhoon h landed its self!!!! just for an overnight stay in a field, got her home fired her up and still flyes like it should!!! BIG SIGH OF RELIEF

Nice thing about having all the telemetry in one place that you can access over having only a part of it and needing to go to the manufacturer for the rest. Glad you found it.

You are indeed lucky.
Thinking back over the situation, is there any mistake you may have made?

You are indeed lucky.
Thinking back over the situation, is there any mistake you may have made?
ya living in a wooded area and being a newbie is not the smartest thing to doooo without gbs!! i am lucky very lucky and it would have been 100% pilot error

You were very lucky in that situation, I once had a fly away Q500 4K which had just been returned to me from customer service, when it flew away out of control whilst mine was not lucky enough to land itself it hit a tree way beyond line of sight, the only way I eventually found it was through the ST10 controller memory card whilst the Q was a complete write off, I sent the bits back to Yuneec along with a copy of the memory card taken from the ST10 and after one month they sent me a new replacement FOC, I guess this was after studying all the data on the memory card.

ya living in a wooded area and being a newbie is not the smartest thing to doooo without gbs!! i am lucky very lucky and it would have been 100% pilot error

A better landing in a wooden area than landing on someone house.

Last edited:
Nice thing about having all the telemetry in one place that you can access over having only a part of it and needing to go to the manufacturer for the rest. Glad you found it.

Being a newbie myself, how do you find the telemetry in the ST16?

With the new update, the St16 also records your flight, so you can watch the video and see where the H was last in the air.
I was recently filming wildlife in a marsh surrounded by trees. I temporarily lost my signal, the H drifted another 50ft or so and started RTH, when that happened it was under the edge of some tree branches, it knocked out a prop just as my signal returned, I received a 5 motor error and the H landed in the swamp. The video on the ST16 gave me the last location which was off by 50-75 feet due to the drifting. After wading about 2 hours through the 3ft swamp with another 12-15in of black muck on the bottom I was fortunate to find the H buried in the muck. It only had a broken landing gear and two broken rotors, but is was completely filled with the tar like muck.
I was flying approx. 900ft away when I lost the signal and I have flown previously out to 3200ft with the stock ant. I had recently updated the firmware and after the crash I read numerous people had signal reduction since the update. I called Yuneec, explained what happened and the stories of signal loss since the update. They immediatley emailed me a RA number and the bird was shipped to them the next day. They received it this past Monday and on Wednesday Yuneec notified me that a NEW H was being shipped to me on Thursday. They are not only sending just the bird, they are sending a completely new system, Original box with Remote Wand.
I hear complaints on Yuneec's customer service, however, since my purchase three months ago, I have always had quick and excellent service from them, and this last experience puts them over the top.
The only complaint I have is the signal loss with the update. The update did provide increased speed, St16 recording and playback, and other features. We will see what firmware is on the new system.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to point out the signal problem with the update as well as the customer support Yuneec provides.

Good to hear, it seems that legitimate failures on their end are covered under warranty. Hopefully you don't get a failure like that in such close range. I've been 2000' feet with no issues but there is always a clear line of sight between the st16 and the H.

Where you under a tree canopy or flying really low?

I temporarily lost my signal, the H drifted another 50ft or so and started RTH, when that happened it was under the edge of some tree branches, it knocked out a prop just as my signal returned, I received a 5 motor error and the H landed in the swamp. The video on the ST16 gave me the last location which was off by 50-75 feet due to the drifting.

That is incredible, John. Did you lose video or just the control signal or both? Shows that RTH can be a mixed blessing.

The Pro with RealSense turned on can avoid obstacles in RTH, BUT if the craft is low, under canopy as yours was, the RealSense can not help during that automatic vertical jump. Without control signal, the RS cannot even be turned on.

Yours is another example of Yuneec standing by its customers and doing the right thing, maybe even going the extra mile. Do you have the crud cleaned off you and your clothes, shoes, yet, lol?

Can this be done with the st10 for q500t

All the the data on the ST10+ is stored on the memory card in the the transmitter, I recovered a fly away crashed and lost Q500 4k, because I knew roughly the area where it went down, I just look at the video data that's recorded onto the ST10+ memory card along with the telemetry files should you require them, I found after viewing the ST 10+ memory card on my PC and looking at the last video image recorded on the card, I went back to that location and found it within two minutes, albeit it was beyond repair it was sent back along with the data memory card and after Yuneec who obviously looked at the data on the card sent me a new replacement back.

Good to hear, it seems that legitimate failures on their end are covered under warranty. Hopefully you don't get a failure like that in such close range. I've been 2000' feet with no issues but there is always a clear line of sight between the st16 and the H.

Where you under a tree canopy or flying really low?
When I lost the signal I was about 5-6 feet above the water. It was a small brush type tree off the shore line, not thick or heavy. I also have flown in this area previously with no problem. And have gone out as far as 3200 feet while testing range, also with no problems. The degraded signal began after the firmware update. My new H will be here Wednesday. I will do a lot of testing 100 yards or less prior to extending the distance. Will also be curious which firmware is on the new unit. // Thanks for the response.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval