Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Got it! Should I calibrate or just fly it?

Reaction score
My TH just arrived, but I can't fly until Saturday.

Based on all reported defects and glitches, are you all calibrating it (or she, as is so sexy) or just flying out of the box?

When I get mine next week, I WILL calibrate everything first. That poor H was bounced all over the place on her way to you.

How much did it cost you?
Seriously, don't you think you should calibrate the thing after a long transit around the world. Give it a fighting chance of staying in the air, and going where you want it to, when you want!
If you don't, and there's a problem, you'll have heaps of time to wish you'd taken the time to calibrate.

It took about 3 min to calibrate, I would suggest doing it, that way you are starting from ground zero.

It's actually very important to calibrate it. MANDATORY.... The unit was built on the opposite side of the planet (for us USA flyers) and the Compass/GPS was calibrated at the factory. Now in the USA you are not using the same GPS satellites and the Compass offset is different. Also high end Drones require calibration for temperature changes also. If flying in winter then flying to the desert. Some controllers allow you to retain multiple calibrations depending on flight location..... It's quick.... I would calibrate it.

It's actually very important to calibrate it. MANDATORY.... The unit was built on the opposite side of the planet (for us USA flyers) and the Compass/GPS was calibrated at the factory. Now in the USA you are not using the same GPS satellites and the Compass offset is different. Also high end Drones require calibration for temperature changes also. If flying in winter then flying to the desert. Some controllers allow you to retain multiple calibrations depending on flight location..... It's quick.... I would calibrate it.
The compass is magnetic. Remember if you travel say from California to Vegas, re calibrate your compass because the magnetic variation will be different.

A contrary opinion: I understand the TH's were test flown before shipping. If this is correct I didn't want to chance messing anything up with an errant calibration or insufficiently tested/incomplete firmware update. I charged the battery, read the manuals, and flew. I'm wary of all firmware updates on my full size aircraft (engine/avionics) and never update until it's been out at least a month and found to be benign. I thank all you who update immediately for blazing the trail. On the TH I have no issues flying out of the box except the internal clock is off. You're the PIC, do what you think is safest.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Earlier this week Yuneec customer support confirmed that the firmware for my TH, ST16, and camera were current anyways, no need for updates.

A contrary opinion: I understand the TH's were test flown before shipping. If this is correct I didn't want to chance messing anything up with an errant calibration or insufficiently tested/incomplete firmware update. I charged the battery, read the manuals, and flew. I'm wary of all firmware updates on my full size aircraft (engine/avionics) and never update until it's been out at least a month and found to be benign. I thank all you who update immediately for blazing the trail. On the TH I have no issues flying out of the box except the internal clock is off. You're the PIC, do what you think is safest.
Yuneec does not recommend, but commands importance to do a compass calibration out of the box, before flight, but suit yourself!

Mine arrived today. Took it to a beach. Attempted compass calibration twice and it failed twice so.... I just powered it up and flew as I knew it would default to factory calibration. I've been flying Phantoms for years and knew what to look for if compass calibration was off. Turns out it was perfect out of the box. Flew great, no issues.

Mine arrived today. Took it to a beach. Attempted compass calibration twice and it failed twice so.... I just powered it up and flew as I knew it would default to factory calibration. I've been flying Phantoms for years and knew what to look for if compass calibration was off. Turns out it was perfect out of the box. Flew great, no issues.

Not good. Any reason why it failed calibration??

I saw elsewhere today that you have to have to face North while doing the calibration or it may fail. Someone else was having the same issue and that fixed it.

Good news for once! Did the rain stop? Looked like rain on porch?

I saw elsewhere today that you have to have to face North while doing the calibration or it may fail. Someone else was having the same issue and that fixed it.
Also ensure you are nowhere near any metal objects, even underground reinforcement. Remove anything metallic from your person especially your cell phone.

Also ensure you are nowhere near any metal objects, even underground reinforcement. Remove anything metallic from your person especially your cell phone.
Yeah, just me, but I would never fly without a compass cal. especially coming from afar! and banged all around. I have flown without a cali before and no warning, and mid flight lost control in GPS and had to Atti my P home. That was the last time I gambled, Just me! Others can do as they please, but $1400 doesn't grow on any trees in my backyard !;)

Reactions: Jeffrey Solorio
Did you calibrate pointed toward true magnetic North?

Not good. Any reason why it failed calibration??
I have no idea. I was in a large field, had my cell phone turned off, I was facing the craft north. Spun it forward matching the lights with the arms. By the time I got to the last one I got a solid white light (fail).

I did a compass calibration on my Phantom right after with no issues.

Personally I have not seen such a complicated compass calibration from any manufacturer. I am not surprised the owners have failed calibration. I don't want to barge into this thread, this is just my observation. If I am wrong, please educate me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval