Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS Lock - Compass calibration 920+

Reaction score
So I have my new fancy 920+, finally had a nice day outside. Took the drone out for its maiden voyage and I couldn't get it to allow me to calibrate the compass or to get a GPS lock. Any Ideas what might be wrong?

So I have my new fancy 920+, finally had a nice day outside. Took the drone out for its maiden voyage and I couldn't get it to allow me to calibrate the compass or to get a GPS lock. Any Ideas what might be wrong?
I'm not familiar with the 920 but if it's like most Yuneec products on first start up, you may have to just leave it sitting there for about 30 minutes to acquire the maximum number of satellites. Then calibrate the compass. I take it that the GPS is actually enabled?

Calibration isn't easy (more complicated than for typhoon H). You Need to start having the H920 exactly directed to the North, and proceed exactly according to the description in the Manual. it would be recommended to have assistance by a 2nd Person.

Finding GPS does usually take a while on first start up. This is due to the fact that the GPS module has to source all the information coming from the sattelites. After it received all necessary information they will be stored so connecting is way faster in the future.

Let it sit for a while until it found enough satellites. Usually it takes about 10-15 minutes on first start but it might take up to 30minutes. Make sure there is nothing blocking out the signal. So stay clear of buildings, trees, dense clouds, power lines and so on.

The same procedure will be necessary if it has not been in use for a long time (several months or even longer). When the module is older you might notice that it takes a long amount of time even after changing the battery. This indicates that the small battery inside the module ist dead. But I am pretty sure this is not the issue with yours. I did not encounter this problem myself even after several years.

Reactions: Steve Carr
If flying without a crew member to help, and you need to calibrate the compass on this beast, I made a custom calibration tri-pod for that purpose.....of course best to do it without props or camera attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2297-c.jpg
    IMG_2297-c.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
The Tripod is a great idea. I'll toss it out side for longer and see what happens. I had it pointed due north, let it sit for 10-15 mins and I went into settings to calibrate the compass. I can press the option, but never does anything.

• Wow
Reactions: Steve Carr
The Tripod is a great idea. I'll toss it out side for longer and see what happens. I had it pointed due north, let it sit for 10-15 mins and I went into settings to calibrate the compass. I can press the option, but never does anything.

Might want to read the instructions. The 920 does not have boom lights and communicates with audible beeps.

I designed the Compass Tripod in Solidworks last year, and still have the models. I will attach pdf files of the parts and assy, and a few more pics to view how to assemble it.
Photo 1 shows the orientation of the hinges with legs closed for portability, Photo 2 is the patented "High tech" leg retainer device with the legs collapsed for portability, Photo 3 is an underside view of the hinges and legs "open" as they are attached to the top piece.

Attachments

• Arm cradle.PDF
    33.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Tripod Assy.PDF
    41.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Top.PDF
    34.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Leg.PDF
    33 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 25