Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS not locking up and gimbal issue

Reaction score
Apologies if these are total newbie question, this is my first big boy drone.

Have flown my YTH on three occasions now. On day 1 the LED indicator went solid purple, which I believe means it has GPS and is locked. If I enabled RTH it landed within a metre of where it took off.

Day 2 and 3 the LED indicator would flash purple rapidly, then a brief white and repeat. The controlled said GPS acquired with 11 satellites on both days. In flying it would hold position happily, however enable RTH and it would fly roughly back to me but would land anywhere up to 40m away.

Is this a sign that I need to do a compass calibration? Or something else?

Also if I do a pan using the gimbal it stutters, it won't do a smooth turn. Is this to be expected?

Have flown my YTH on three occasions now. On day 1 the LED indicator went solid purple, which I believe means it has GPS and is locked. If I enabled RTH it landed within a metre of where it took off.

Day 2 and 3 the LED indicator would flash purple rapidly, then a brief white and repeat. The controlled said GPS acquired with 11 satellites on both days. In flying it would hold position happily, however enable RTH and it would fly roughly back to me but would land anywhere up to 40m away.

Also if I do a pan using the gimbal it stutters, it won't do a smooth turn. Is this to be expected?

I'm gonna try and help you out here.
Flash Purple with brief white indicates GPS lock in Angle mode. All normal.

The thing that strikes me in your post is the 11 satellites. Seems a bit low to me if you have a low GPS mask, and makes me think you only had a lock on the GPS network and not GLONAS, but then, 11 could well be reasonable for your part of the world...just seems a bit low to me since I regularly get around 18 sats. Things to think about is what was the K index value for the time you were flying? It isn't a good thing to fly with a Kp more than 4 because that could impact on GPS and could possibly account for the RTH landing your aircraft 40m away.

I've just checked the K index for yesterday and I see that it was up at 5 at one stage.

Here is a resource that will help determine the K index
http://services.swpc.noaa.gov/images/planetary-k-index.gif?

Dunno about the gimbal stutter, I'll leave that to someone else.

Last edited:

I would do a compass calibration especially as it was 40m away from RTH position, not that it has any bearing on what I just said are you aware you can cancel RTH at any time during the flight by selecting angle mode and re-take control to land where you prefer.

Are you saying you can see jitter on the actual camera during flight or is this jitter showing on the ST16 screen it could be something as simple as the frame rate require altering in the camera settings, if the actual camera stutters itself whilst rotating it could be a fault, as my own is silky smooth rotating slowly if set too fast I can see a bit of jitter on the st16 screen.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Will try a compass calibration.

The jitter is on the recorded video, coming out off the micro SD card from the camera. The jitter is only seen when panning the camera. Here's a clip showing where its noticeable

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Will try a compass calibration.

The jitter is on the recorded video, coming out off the micro SD card from the camera. The jitter is only seen when panning the camera. Here's a clip showing where its noticeable

I dunno about anyone else but I'm having difficulty in seeing any jitter in your video...I've seen far worse. It's not the smoothest of videos but, given the lighting, isn't bad, IMHO

Last edited:
Same as above the only time I see some jitter above 1080P above that setting a lot of pc's and monitors don't play back smoothly also youtube downgrades as well, unless you have a computer & monitor capable of playing back 4K, you could possibly be on the limitations of your pc/monitor.

Perhaps I'm being a bit picky then. Just feels really noticeable to me, using a MacPro that I edit 4K video on daily. Thanks for looking though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval