Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS signal - more satellites fixed by drone than controller

Reaction score
I have noticed this consistently. Also my phone GPS app reports the same as the controller. Anybody know why this is? I am guessing that maybe the drone picks up glonass but the androids don't

Satellites: the space is contiguous to capture the majority of satellites. No or little space to access the sky and more trees.
Magnetic interference, yes, especially in the place of the photo. If the compass has been calibrated in this environment, I fear the worst. Barded metal around the transmitter and the drone, how do you want to have no other message. I think that in the middle of a field, the message you will not have it any more, provided you do all the calibrations far from any source polluted metal and others.
The propagation wave of the antennas is a circular wave, it will hit a veranda, a ladder, a metal stove, your device does not receive a healthy wave and detects a disturbed environment.

Reactions: AH-1G
Don’t forget the human body, which effectively blocks GPS signals. Many forget that when holding the controller their body blocks satellite view from one side of a hemispherical view.
You nailed it.

Yes, he succeeded. Between his metal prostheses, his stellite denture armed with hooks, his pacemaker, he manages to block everything .....:)
Sorry, Pat, I could not resist.:rolleyes:

Satellites: the space is contiguous to capture the majority of satellites. No or little space to access the sky and more trees.
Magnetic interference, yes, especially in the place of the photo. If the compass has been calibrated in this environment, I fear the worst. Barded metal around the transmitter and the drone, how do you want to have no other message. I think that in the middle of a field, the message you will not have it any more, provided you do all the calibrations far from any source polluted metal and others.
The propagation wave of the antennas is a circular wave, it will hit a veranda, a ladder, a metal stove, your device does not receive a healthy wave and detects a disturbed environment.
View attachment 17148
You have clearly missed the point entirely.
I am well aware of the limitations of the location. Read my question. I am asking why I am getting different numbers of locked satellites on my phone, controller and drone.
You would expect them to have similar numbers of locks regardless of location.
Thanks for the attempt at an answer but please read the question properly next time :)
As for this:
Yes, he succeeded. Between his metal prostheses, his stellite denture armed with hooks, his pacemaker, he manages to block everything .....:)
Sorry, Pat, I could not resist.:rolleyes:
I think you need to grow up.

One or two satellites difference means nothing, double figures should be fine

Don’t forget the human body, which effectively blocks GPS signals. Many forget that when holding the controller their body blocks satellite view from one side of a hemispherical view.
Very well aware of that. That is why I had the drone and controller outside for ten minutes and then very quickly took a screen shot from a distance so sure that is not the issue. Also if I stand over the drone it does not lose any fixes

One or two satellites difference means nothing, double figures should be fine
Yep, it is almost double every time I try it
Edit I was talking about double the numbers of fixes on the drone not double figures. The ST16S rarely exceeds 9 when the drone is getting 15 or more. As previously mentioned I get the same from my mobile as the controller so was why I was guessing it could be an Android thing?

Reactions: OpaG
Well, really smart, think a little.
Your Station stays on the ground and does not need 50 satellites to know its position, three or four or ten are enough. Your drone is in the sky, it can move at a speed 200 times faster than your radio that will not move and it will need 10 to 20 satellites to keep its position and stability.
this is why the radio has an ultra-simple system for capturing satellites which is a stationary system while your drone has a more complete and multi-satellite system.
Your question, I understood it well and I thought you could guess it with a little intelligence thinking well.
now if you have doubts, you can send an email to Yuneec who can surely also confirm my words.
From time to time, one must be able to raise one's intelligence beyond what is possible.
If you manage to fly your radio as fast as the drone, let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaedrus

Humans are also great at blocking 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz signals as well.

Well, really smart, think a little.
Your Station stays on the ground and does not need 50 satellites to know its position, three or four or ten are enough. Your drone is in the sky, it can move at a speed 200 times faster than your radio that will not move and it will need 10 to 20 satellites to keep its position and stability.
this is why the radio has an ultra-simple system for capturing satellites which is a stationary system while your drone has a more complete and multi-satellite system.
Your question, I understood it well and I thought you could guess it with a little intelligence thinking well.
now if you have doubts, you can send an email to Yuneec who can surely also confirm my words.
From time to time, one must be able to raise one's intelligence beyond what is possible.
If you manage to fly your radio as fast as the drone, let me know.
OK why did you not say that in the first place smart arse? You have told me nothing that I do not know other than you are an arrogant idiot. I pointed out that you got it wrong. Take it.
Edit OK so what a way to answer a simple question. Go through this thread and ask yourself what is wrong with you.
Thanks for the answer anyway, really did not need the abuse and insults

Last edited:
Just remember the GPS module is in the lower section of the ST16 so it could be more susceptible to external influences, hence a lower satellite count. If there are no issues, and you have left to acquire and it flies without issues then just use it.

Just remember the GPS module is in the lower section of the ST16 so it could be more susceptible to external influences, hence a lower satellite count. If there are no issues, and you have left to acquire and it flies without issues then just use it.
OK thanks for your reply. It is an issue if return to home malfunctions because the location of the ST16 is indeterminate

Probably because the typhoon receives GPS, GLONASS, COMPASS (BeiDou) and SBAS systems while the ground station does not require all those GPS systems for positional acquisition.

It's really simple . In the top right hand at the top the st16 will tell you how many satellites are available and at the bottom left will tell you how many you actually have. If the bottom says you have 16 or more the GPS will connect. If it doesn't try a martini

OK thanks for your reply. It is an issue if return to home malfunctions because the location of the ST16 is indeterminate

RTH has nothing to do with the transmitter (controller) GPS. That is only used when doing follow me, etc. RTH uses the home location set when you started up the drone. If you did not see that message, then you do not have a RTH location.

You could tear the GPS out of the controller and it would have no affect on how anything about the drone worked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval