Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS SYSTEMS

Reaction score
At some point in rhe next 12 to 18 months the EASA expects to have the Galileo nav sats up and fully operational. I know that Galileo is compatible with GPS but... will the GPS systems (such as our drones and auto navs) automatically use this system, will our systems need to be adjusted (update) or will it only work with new nav systems especially designed to work with Galileo as well as GPS?

At some point in rhe next 12 to 18 months the EASA expects to have the Galileo nav sats up and fully operational. I know that Galileo is compatible with GPS but... will the GPS systems (such as our drones and auto navs) automatically use this system, will our systems need to be adjusted (update) or will it only work with new nav systems especially designed to work with Galileo as well as GPS?
Our Hs will only work with GPS and GLONAS as far as I know,but someone with far better knowledge than me may have a different view.

Incidentally, and loosely connected, It transpires that the U.K. may not have military precision access to Galileo even though the U.K. has invested large pots of money along with European partners into the development of the system. Brexit being the stumbling block. For this reason, the development of a U.K. system has been tabled for discussion so that the U.K.s military can access a military precision system independent of all the others. Of course, such a system will be expensive since the system will still require around 30 satellites, but certain people in authority think it may be a price worth paying for a sovereign system. Such a system will, of course, be some years away if it happens...watch this space as they say.

One good EMP takes them all. The first things that will be taken out in an all out war will be the satellites. Especially the nav and surveillance ones.

For this reason, the development of a U.K. system has been tabled for discussion so that the U.K.s military can access a military precision system independent of all the others. Of course, such a system will be expensive since the system will still require around 30 satellites, but certain people in authority think it may be a price worth paying for a sovereign system.

How retarded can one be.

:confused:

How retarded can one be.

:confused:

I tend to agree. The UK does not perform their own space launches and are dependent on allies in the EU or US to handle that for them, just as they rely on geo positioning systems already emplaced by those same allies.

Adding to development cost and complexity is creating new geo positioning equipment that has to be added to existing equipment to allow independent monitoring from pre-existing equipment. They also have to rely on their allies to defend their proprietary space based fixtures for them.

To develop a new, independent geo positioning system works out more as a means to shuffle money from a defense budget to preferred military contractors more than for creating and maintaining a new equipment standard. That tax payers lack the ability to recognize and prevent such graft and fiscal waste is astounding.

I'm not as educated on all the foreign satellite systems as you all are, but do have a small background of knowledge on them all. As far as the Typhoon using foreign satellites goes, (Or any other gps guided device) I believe that Yuneec takes all of that into consideration when they write the programs for units that they have been selling AROUND THE WORLD. What you are using now should work wherever you take it on the face of the earth. One system that I worked ("GEO-Link") with on a chemical spraying system was/is capable of utilizing all three of the satellite systems that are up there to date. Not individually, but collectively. It all comes down to the developers programming for the device.

Bear in mind, the positional accuracy of each system is only as tight for the civilian market as the controlling government allows them to be. Those using the correct encryption keys have much, much better accuracy than civilians do. The same applies to Google Earth imagery. Civilians only access degraded resolution imagery, often with certain features blocked, degraded, or scrubbed.

Please clarify your comment, Dr Delta. I may be misinterpreting it. Are you saying the proposed system is retarded or that I am retarded?

The idea of launching a 'sovereign' GPS system is a completely retarded idea.

If one spends that money on world hunger, disease and equal wealth things would brighten up more I think.

If one spends that money on world hunger, disease and equal wealth things would brighten up more I think.
I would agree with that.

I saw a news report the other day on BBC news about it. Apparently there is some sort of issue regarding the U.K.s access to the military precision element of the Galileo constellation. The report implied that the EU would not allow the U.K. to access the precision element of that system once the U.K. has completed its Brexit even though the U.K. contributed to its development. The report went on to say that certain players were discussing the development of a U.K. sovereign system to address this issue...the report suggested that the cost would be anything between one and several billion pounds.

It could be that this is some sort of ploy on the U.K.s part to move the Brexit negotiations in the U.K.s favour regarding military precision access to Galileo.

Personally, I find it a bit difficult to believe that the U.K. has this sort of money available for such a 'sovereign' system: we are still suffering from cut-backs to public services caused by the financial crisis of 2008/9. I doubt that the British tax payer would swallow the cost of such a sovereign system...but who knows?, the British tax payer has been taken for a ride before...several times in fact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my