Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
EDIT: Solved by Windluv, do not slide the switch, double tap the "On" button. See lucky post #13 below.

Hi all, I do not know if there was this issue on either of my two H's before I swapped their GPS modules because I didn't try it. After swapping their GPS modules in an attempt to address a different issue with a single one, neither of them can disable GPS with the slider switch in the APK so I can fly atti. Swapping the modules back did nothing either. The video below will show what both H's are doing when it comes to sliding that switch, spoiler, it does absolutely nothing. The GPS lock remains and of course max speed is limited by the GPS lock.

Proper rebinding, calibrations and setup were all done correctly according to the updated video from the UK guy. Those processes have always gone well up to a point.

I called Yuneec early last week and was impressed how fast they returned the call and were willing to listen and advise, but the CS rep never heard of my issue, he consulted a tech while I was on hold about installing a new GPS module and that I needed to update the firmware to get her all working right and collecting new GPS info and this would solve the new issue of not being able to disengage GPS.
Well, it didn't and it seems the majority of the tries simply weren't updating since I had the latest already loaded. So I did the 1.28 autopilot dead bird recovery technique to make sure that an autopilot firmware update would take. That procedure went perfectly, had 1.28 flashed, and with Steve's assistance, had a 3.04_A to flash to the bird. This again went well.

Does anyone know why I can't slide my GPS switch off and have GPS lock disable? I reflashed st16 firmware also.

I have searched the bejesus out of the internets and I only found one comment to this here (post #253), but this user has not chimed into a conversation I opened with him for some insight as to what came of his issue.

Thank you. If I can figure out and fix this GPS lock even when it's switched off issue, my two H's should be good as new.

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly, you need a copy of the latest firmware? The Yuneec US web site still has not been corrected so they don't list the current firmware. However I can provide it if you need it.

So if I understand correctly, you need a copy of the latest firmware? The Yuneec US web site still has not been corrected so they don't list the current firmware. However I can provide it if you need it.

Yes sir, that would be great, thanks much. PM'd my email.

Did you turn ON the advanced option?
If not, none of the special feature are available.

Yes sir, thank you.

EDIT: Advance mode does not need to be On to disable GPS.

Last edited:
I did a successful update of the Autopilot to 1.35 from 1.28, cleared cache, recal'd, binded, adjusted settings, all that stuff I have down pat and now this bird does exactly what that user in post #253 I linked above did, now when I close the cal menu, it switches the slider back to On. (I do not have the jerky motions he is talking about, just the GPS lock and slider button issue) Either way, the GPS lock still doesn't disengage on either bird, they just have a minor difference in their refusal behavior.

I guess I'll call Yuneec again, but I feel I just keep hitting dead ends on anybody knowing what is wrong here and will just rinse and repeat their answers.

I suppose you have also tried turning off the GPS while it's still sitting on the ground with the motors off?

I have exactly the same issue with the GPS not turning off. Stock H, so I don't think it is anything with your mods. I haven't been to concerned as I don't fly with GPS off except to eliminate the loiter braking with close proximity LOS flying.

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
I experienced the opposite the other day.
I was experimenting with flying @ high speeds and turned GPS off. H became real rabbit, but GPS did not want to switch back on.

After landing and motors off I was able to switch back on again.

Cheers!

I suppose you have also tried turning off the GPS while it's still sitting on the ground with the motors off?

Actually yes, I've tried so many different ways...the button is just useless in every attempt made, it slides fine enough though :) I could accept having to land to turn on and/or off the GPS (but of course, that's not the way people in videos are able to do it), but it doesn't do it then either. There is simply no sign of anything when sliding that GPS switch, bird in the air or on the ground, no warnings, errors, beeps, nothing. GPS status remains "Ready" and I know it's capable of changing that status and disabling GPS, because it happens when you do an Accelerometer calibration. I would presume that when you turn off GPS, it will show the same red "Disabled" in it's status that it does with the Accelerometer cal, or does the status change to a green "Acquiring" like when it's searching for sats?

I'm starting to lean towards the "Channel Settings" menu and the GPS test menu, but this is some unknown and dangerous stuff to fiddle with, I would rather a tech at Yuneec say "Oh I know what's up, go here and change this setting, that will fix it", that would be nice. Might be showing my age here, but this seems like something that needs a good swift slap on the side of the TV for it to work ;)

I have exactly the same issue with the GPS not turning off. Stock H, so I don't think it is anything with your mods. I haven't been to concerned as I don't fly with GPS off except to eliminate the loiter braking with close proximity LOS flying.

Hi Windluv, you're the post #253 I was linking in the OP and noting in #7 here, the only other person I can find on the internets that has a breath of this issue. I guess you didn't get the notification of the PM conversation I started to see if anything came of your post. So does this mean you can turn off GPS now? "I don't fly with GPS off except to eliminate the loiter braking with close proximity LOS flying" or is that just what you do with your other copters and just accept this issue with your H. I can't accept this for 2 reasons, 1) I want to fly mine atti to get the speed and fun of it, 2) I want to sell the second one and I am the kind of person that can't sell a problem.
Any other info you have, like if you contacted Yuneec and what did they say, or anything else would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

If anyone can make a short vid of the ST16 screen to show exactly how the screen reacts and what displays when you disable GPS, I sure would appreciate.

Actually yes, I've tried so many different ways...the button is just useless in every attempt made, it slides fine enough though :) I could accept having to land to turn on and/or off the GPS (but of course, that's not the way people in videos are able to do it), but it doesn't do it then either. There is simply no sign of anything when sliding that GPS switch, bird in the air or on the ground, no warnings, errors, beeps, nothing. GPS status remains "Ready" and I know it's capable of changing that status and disabling GPS, because it happens when you do an Accelerometer calibration. I would presume that when you turn off GPS, it will show the same red "Disabled" in it's status that it does with the Accelerometer cal, or does the status change to a green "Acquiring" like when it's searching for sats?

I'm starting to lean towards the "Channel Settings" menu and the GPS test menu, but this is some unknown and dangerous stuff to fiddle with, I would rather a tech at Yuneec say "Oh I know what's up, go here and change this setting, that will fix it", that would be nice. Might be showing my age here, but this seems like something that needs a good swift slap on the side of the TV for it to work ;)

Hi Windluv, you're the post #253 I was linking in the OP and noting in #7 here, the only other person I can find on the internets that has a breath of this issue. I guess you didn't get the notification of the PM conversation I started to see if anything came of your post. So does this mean you can turn off GPS now? "I don't fly with GPS off except to eliminate the loiter braking with close proximity LOS flying" or is that just what you do with your other copters and just accept this issue with your H. I can't accept this for 2 reasons, 1) I want to fly mine atti to get the speed and fun of it, 2) I want to sell the second one and I am the kind of person that can't sell a problem.
Any other info you have, like if you contacted Yuneec and what did they say, or anything else would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

If anyone can make a short vid of the ST16 screen to show exactly how the screen reacts and what displays when you disable GPS, I sure would appreciate.
Hi,

Just retested, and I can't turn GPS off. I will try to call into tech support this week to report issue if they pick up the call; will let you know.

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
SOLVED: really lame issue. You must 'tap' the on/off slider. Do not slide the 'slider'. Seriously. Tap the 'on' hilited in the GPS option; it will transition to 'off' and a pop-over dialog will appear stating GPS is disabled. Been like a month trying to get it off.

SOLVED: really lame issue. You must 'tap' the on/off slider. Do not slide the 'slider'. Seriously. Tap the 'on' hilited in the GPS option; it will transition to 'off' and a pop-over dialog will appear stating GPS is disabled. Been like a month trying to get it off.

omg, first off, you are the man! Thank you for seeing this and letting me know.

second, of allllll the things I tried, never conceptualized a double tap. Yuneec never suggested it either and I'm going to re-read the manual to see if the double tap was stated and I missed it. Never seen a person disable on ST16 and was hoping for such enlightenment if someone made the video I requested.

I haven't flown here yet with this news, but was able to put her outside with motors off and sure enough, double tap and all the warnings and beeps I'd expect along with a red "Disabled", sheesh. Bitter/sweet right now, but it's all sweet coming, thanks again brother Windluv.

Steve, please feel free to slap a "Solved" in the title if you'd like, thanks.

At least the solution was easy.

I couldn't have asked for an easier answer.

I'll bet if you had gone to the hassle of shipping it back to Yuneec, they would have checked it and said everything is ok, but probably not mentioned the 'tapping' rather than sliding the button!

The answers we get here on the Forum are worth tons!! Great going!

The answers we get here on the Forum are worth tons!! Great going!

User community will always be > the corporate consumer climate. Thank you everyone! I am having a blast with a properly functioning H and now I'm reading about Ty Pilot's expo curve work and Craig's joy of confirmation in this thread, looking forward to customizing this H to be my baby; also read about adjusting the gimbal tilt speed, Advance mode and those settings are just fantastic for the user. Stuff you'll never find in an official manual I'm betting. Once I get all the fly settings to my bidding, I can get back to owning the cam settings and maximizing its use.

I'm liking this backstrap for the ST16 as well, it would even work with my X-Star Premium, but the XSP is in serious danger of being sold. Zero Gravity Remote Controller Harness System for Yuneec Typhoon H Remote Contro | eBay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval