Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Guy on here had a potential idea and fix, I have confirmed it to be Unsuccessful.

Reaction score
A member I talked with the other day, I forget his SN off hand, but kudos goes to him for the idea, I just had the resources to execute it... Let me say it was a good idea and even a great result of the fix in general, but the flex-ability of plastics at this thickness required for the part just is not the fix We were hoping for. Figured I would post it where the rest of you could weigh in..

His Idea was to 3D print a new Leg spring lock Latch.... (I know right! Great Idea)
I have measured and 3D modeled one of almost exact dimensions, and It printed excellent as usual ;)
Installed just as excellent, the overall fit was right on the money that when I folded the arm up to catch the lock, I heard it click into place like the original. But this is where the excitement stops. When I folded the arm back in the down position the printed clip just bent and flexed in a bowing arch while still latched to the inner hook on the main body.
So to sum up, I loved the idea, I executed the idea w/ an excellent finish and fit. But in the end it just was not thick enough to get a solid hold on the arm assembly to support the needed weight.
In theory it did work and was even achievable in designing. But the slim fitting location just does not allow it to go any thicker.

Cad modeled in - A cheap free 2D modeling program my friend sent me
- And was imported into Solidworks for fine tuning the arcs and splines.
Sliced in - Simplify3D

Printed on - Ender 5Plus w/glass print bed and highly modified Print head.
With - Silk orange Pla+ filament W/ temps of 212C for hetend, and 70C for print bed.

Ok Boys let the death by a thousand cuts begin.

I took a video of the install and test, but it got to 80% uploaded and was unsuccessful

Attachments

• 20200327_232253.jpg
    20200327_232253.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20200327_231821.jpg
    20200327_231821.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200327_231550.jpg
    20200327_231550.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mike Irish
In normal operation the arms are held up by the propeller lift, although there may be slight down pressure during maneuvers and during 5 rotor mode. So the idea isn't totally out of the question. It would be interesting to do a test flight (w/o the camera) to see if it works in flight.

When I installed it Initially just made sure it slid into position ok, that was good so I raised it into the lock and even heard a slight click.. but when I just simply let go of the arm after the click, and no support whatsoever it just bowed into an arc as the weight of the arm fell. I will add that the screw was never installed... (Wait I'm having a moment)

Sorry guys test is not over... thanks Steve Carr For making me re think this!

If nobody tries, then new innovation can never flourish, perhaps in time a breakthrough will happen, good to have something to explore and talk about in these unprecedented times.

Reactions: Mechanic
I need someone to give me a measurement of the mount hole positioning from the pointed end up to the hole, If someone could be so kind.
I only have broken ones and need this measurement to be able to actually mount it tight to see if it holds up and smack it around a little bit :")

I need someone to give me a measurement of the mount hole positioning from the pointed end up to the hole, If someone could be so kind.
I only have broken ones and need this measurement to be able to actually mount it tight to see if it holds up and smack it around a little bit :")
Point out exactly where you need the measures ? picture below

Attachments

• DSC_0129.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 18
yeah John, I realized this after I logged out yesterday. Since there is no hole for the screw to mount it, Please tell me these don't just hold the clips in with just an edge under one side of the screw?

Last edited:
yeah John, I realized this after I logged out yesterday. Since there is no hole for the screw to mount it, Please tell me these don't just hold the clips in with just an edge under one side of the clip?
I could be wrong, but it seems the screw just applies pressure to the part that sticks up ? did you notice with the screw out you have to use a screwdriver to releave it for removal. They say a butter knife works, but I use a small screwdriver like they use on eye glasses ?

Ok, I have doubled the thickness, and added strengthening veins to add rigidity. Also added a thicker area around the actual latching area, and made the hole to mount it properly! lol
I added the slicer software screenshot so you can see the additions..As well as the CAD views.

IT WORKS! not too strong as it will break, But I put one in and tightened the screw, folded it up heard the click and begun kind of smacking it around a little bit. up down left right... added some props and spun her up. She works beautifully, but I'm not willing to test fly her with three of them in. I need to get two oem clips to lessen the risk.

Attachments

• Number 5.JPG
    Number 5.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Slice.JPG
    Slice.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 16
  • View 1.JPG
    View 1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 17
  • View 2.JPG
    View 2.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 15
Seems it works, there must be a reason why its this way Must be along the lines of a crash, like the props are made to break ?
Helps minimise the damage. Hopefully easing the strain on the wallet.

Helps minimise the damage. Hopefully easing the strain on the wallet.

Yes, Mrgs1 the whole Idea... I will post flight results as soon as I get at least two OEM clips. I'm not comfortable testing it out on three at the same time, and risk more damage.

Ok, It's on thingverse now, but says I need to wait 24hrs before it will post so no link to post yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval