Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H 520 organge due to birds of prey?

Reaction score
Hi, many of us have had problems with big birds of pray attacking the drone. It could even result in a crasch and injured bird... Is it because of that the H520 is organge as this is the colour that animals see as a "warning I am dangerous"" If I maybe should put some organge colour on the top of the drone? :) This is not a joke...

Reactions: spongella
Interesting. About a year ago I had an Osprey go after one of my aircraft. Here in Florida this time of year we also have eagles and would hate to be attacked by one of them.

Talked with Yuneec CS a few days back and the purpose is for easier sight during commercial operations. They are also going to be making a fixed zoom camera for the H520 available alongside Cgo 3+ and CgoET FLir thermal options.

The orange color might very well also serve as a bird deterrent.

Hi, many of us have had problems with big birds of pray attacking the drone. It could even result in a crasch and injured bird... Is it because of that the H520 is organge as this is the colour that animals see as a "warning I am dangerous"" If I maybe should put some organge colour on the top of the drone? :) This is not a joke...
Red is the color that a lot of animals shy away from. Please read the info in the link provided.
Birds born to fear red : Nature News

I personally think it's just an operator visibility thing. I would have reservations about whether the color of something is going to affect what a bird of prey does for something entering its territory, but I like your thought process.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Ha ha good point Photo, am married to one and you are correct.

Getting back to the original post, has anyone painted their drone as I am considering that with the Typhoon H. Okay, granted it sounds nutty, but this would not be done with a paint brush and a gallon bucket of paint from Home Depot, more like a good quality spray paint.

Have looked for "skins" for the Typhoon H but appears there are none out there, perhaps someone knows more.

My drone mentor warned me not to do this, would add weight to the drone. Surely as I result could never re-sell it, maybe void the warranty, etc. But I was never one to listen. Thanks!

Any color that is "Anti-Camouflage" would make predators think twice about it, the poison dart frogs, and the monarch butterfly to start with. The alien shape and annoying noise still puts it in the crosshairs of nesting birds.

About May I have to really watch it around here, nesting Red Tail Hawks will attack anything that flies durring nesting time. Not sure they would care what color it is. About the only maneuver I have found that helps is a quick up and reverse in direction. Hope you get her down before they can turn for another attack.

Interesting about "red" and animals...it says, Don't mess with a redhead.. the same as for women..? :)
I have several cousins, uncles, and aunts that are REDHEADS. I avoid them like the plague. Random explosions of anger and cursing worthy of a sailors bar in the Philippines happen too frequently.
Sort of like two legged cruise missiles that hit random targets.

Reactions: spongella
Ha ha good point Photo, am married to one and you are correct.

Getting back to the original post, has anyone painted their drone as I am considering that with the Typhoon H. Okay, granted it sounds nutty, but this would not be done with a paint brush and a gallon bucket of paint from Home Depot, more like a good quality spray paint.

Have looked for "skins" for the Typhoon H but appears there are none out there, perhaps someone knows more.

My drone mentor warned me not to do this, would add weight to the drone. Surely as I result could never re-sell it, maybe void the warranty, etc. But I was never one to listen. Thanks!
I would look at Plasti Dip. It's a spray-on coating that is available in many colors (including some high-visibility ones), and it can be peeled off if you want to go back to the factory look or switch to a different color. Shouldn't add much weight if you layer several thin coats (the proper way to apply the product).

Hello never had any bird problems but sure made a great visual assistance just using some good old colored Duct tape, I haven't noticed any deal with extra weight so I'm sure a little paint may only cost you a few seconds flight time. Also put colored duct tape on the battery flap door which you can tell the back of the "H" at quite a distance. This might deter a bird of prey or at least help your visual assistant tell you when you might be under ATTACK lol

Attachments

• 20170304_145849 (2).jpg
    20170304_145849 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: Jester
I would look at Plasti Dip. It's a spray-on coating that is available in many colors (including some high-visibility ones), and it can be peeled off if you want to go back to the factory look or switch to a different color. Shouldn't add much weight if you layer several thin coats (the proper way to apply the product).

You should check with a vehicle wrap shop in your area, they could do a custom skin in any color or pattern.

Talked with Yuneec CS a few days back and the purpose is for easier sight during commercial operations. They are also going to be making a fixed zoom camera for the H520 available alongside Cgo 3+ and CgoET FLir thermal options.

The orange color might very well also serve as a bird deterrent.

"Zoom" is the word that interest me, if it works on the 520, it should work on the H. I wonder what will control the zoom?

If it's not matched to a gimbal designed to increase damping as zoom increases the transmitter certainly won't. It would vary the zoom but the image would become unusable.

While I had mine apart to install antenna I painted the bottom to see how well it would stay on. I will probably paint a spare cap at some point.
The top on mine has some mesh material over the vents and I want to take the time to remove it and replace it after painting to keep dead grass from entering. I want the top painted in case of losing it in the brush it would be more visible.

Primed with white and applied orange. Unit 1 I will use the other fluorescent color.
I'm not sure I could even weigh the paint. I did not see any other weight after weighing it is so small.

I have even painted some props. It's not rocket science and the controller adjusts for any variables. The visibility against a bright blue sky is greatly improved.
I have had several tip overs on landing or when other issues caused it to tip. I used dowels to make longer skids. Yea, they won't break off like the carbon, but so far that has caused more damage than it prevented. Just one opinion.

I experimented with trying to gain some ground clearance for the camera and possible recovery "of parts" lol if it crashed in water.

Even that radical added bulk plus two Lume Cubes did not seem to affect it flying slow and smooth for photography.

Attachments

• DH8_3446cr.JPG
    DH8_3446cr.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
  • DH8_3539-8x.JPG
    DH8_3539-8x.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: Jester
Several years ago I flew a fairly large orange delta wing RC glider olong the California coast. Sea gulls would try to land on it. Color didn't seem to matter

Here in Arkansas, there are several crows at times where I fly, they, seem to avoid mine before and after painting. I think it is the noise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder