Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H PLUS Autopilot on the H520 ?????

Would you be referring to the poor souls who purchased the 520's? On the one hand I've got sympathy for them but on the other hand there were so many red flags besides price which indicated to me I would not be purchasing one. Perhaps the biggest glowing red flag was the almost total lack of worthwhile sample footage that indicated to me it was something I could generate revenue from. I was not too excited about highway patrol usage to shoot accident scenes or someone shooting building inspections. I could have done that with a much cheaper drone which had more versatility. I recall vividly people expressing concern at the time of release about the lack of information and examples of creative uses. However don't make the mistake of thinking I'm a clairvoyant. It's just that I saw this same sort of thing with the Align Hex which was supposed to be able to deliver smooth video with a Canon 5D attached to it. No smooth footage existed showing it worked but I bought one anyway and will regret that stupidity the rest of my life.

I got mine in the winter, and assumed that would see more utilization as we got into better weather, but I see the lack utilization noticeable, too little too late. It does seem like Yuneec has underestimated what they would have to deliver to compete in this market.

These guys are too talented to be at the center of responsibility for the current operational parameters of this project!
swiss-yuneec-1024x571.jpg

So what is the proper answer?
Is open source firmware technology so far behind DJI that comparable functionality will never catch up?
Assuming comparable flight controllers and sensors are designed into both DJI and H520 then it falls onto the software team to make it work, is this an accurate assessment?
Or should Yuneec initiate a flight controller and sensor package upgrade to the Pixhawk4 FMUv5?
It is quite possible that even though Yuneec Research has proximity to the Auterion team that they, Auterion, are now shifting their development focus onto automated cars and trucks which will leave the automated drone development stalled at the H520 level?
Yuneec Research – Advanced Technology Labs AG

Yes it is available for download. Open source refers to community development and control through cooperative involvement. As to license cost of used in a commercial product, not sure. But my impression is the code is available for you to build a system on. Research these issues on dronecode.org and pixhawk.org for all hardware and software modules needed to build your own open source technology based flying machine.

I hope that helps answer your questions and points you in the right direction. It is the same technology used in the H520.

Yes it is available for download. Open source refers to community development and control through cooperative involvement. As to license cost of used in a commercial product, not sure. But my impression is the code is available for you to build a system on. Research these issues on dronecode.org and pixhawk.org for all hardware and software modules needed to build your own open source technology based flying machine.

I hope that helps answer your questions and points you in the right direction. It is the same technology used in the H520.

Yes, PX4 firmware is open source but the firmware on the H520 doesn't. It's a little confusing as they say. Another thing is that it has provided libraries for independent programmers to add functionality or create new programs. But the important thing is, the core is not open source, if I'm not mistaken. It's proprietary code.

@Tuna will know for sure he's been doing more research on the subject. On the Dronecode website come the partners who are part of the project and know little about open source ;)

I appreciate the interest as I would like to know if I could by a couple of crashed M600 airframes put together a good airframe and then use the power distribution system, all thrust components and install the latest Pixhawk flight controller + GPS and use all the dronecode firmware components including MAVlink, QGroundcontrol etc to build a hex copter? Essentially replace the flight controller and comm link from DJI with the Pixhawk + MAVlink technology. I know of others who report doing just that with Tarot airframes and propulsion components.

I appreciate the interest as I would like to know if I could by a couple of crashed M600 airframes put together a good airframe and then use the power distribution system, all thrust components and install the latest Pixhawk flight controller + GPS and use all the dronecode firmware components including MAVlink, QGroundcontrol etc to build a hex copter? Essentially replace the flight controller and comm link from DJI with the Pixhawk + MAVlink technology. I know of others who report doing just that with Tarot airframes and propulsion components.

You can do it without any problem, it would be a matter of cutting and welding cables but I do not recommend using Droncode, use Ardupilot and in this case Arducopter (for a multirotor). Pixhawk and Arcucopter form a duo with a lot of power that could revive at least one of the M600s you have :D

You can do it without any problem, it would be a matter of cutting and welding cables but I do not recommend using Droncode, use Ardupilot and in this case Arducopter (for a multirotor). Pixhawk and Arcucopter form a duo with a lot of power that could revive at least one of the M600s you have :D

For clarity, I do not as of yet own a M600 airframe. However just thinking out loud to stimulate those of us with better software integration skills than I have to consider putting together a refurbish program for all the damaged drone parts that the insurance industry is accumulating. Some of us would appreciate all the aeronautical engineering and electrical distribution design put together in the DJI aircraft. Presumably access to salvage condition airframes is increasing in volume. Therefore why not exchange FC silicon and open source software?

Now you have brought up another very valid consideration - Ardupilot vs. Pixhawk firmware. Pretty much apples to apples tradeoff but it certainly gives me more to investigate. My personal limitation with respect to performing this integration would be lack of software expertise.

So just a game plan in theory for me at this point. But I am certain there are many forum members who are quite capable of doing so. It might be an idea who's time has come? I have no idea what costs would be to acquire crashed airframe components nor how available the access would be. Maybe a new thread or forum gets established for Frankenstein DJI Drones? Recycling and sustainability seem to be very fashionable concepts these days so let us extrapolate this to drones.

For clarity, I do not as of yet own a M600 airframe. However just thinking out loud to stimulate those of us with better software integration skills than I have to consider putting together a refurbish program for all the damaged drone parts that the insurance industry is accumulating. Some of us would appreciate all the aeronautical engineering and electrical distribution design put together in the DJI aircraft. Presumably access to salvage condition airframes is increasing in volume. Therefore why not exchange FC silicon and open source software?

Now you have brought up another very valid consideration - Ardupilot vs. Pixhawk firmware. Pretty much apples to apples tradeoff but it certainly gives me more to investigate. My personal limitation with respect to performing this integration would be lack of software expertise.

So just a game plan in theory for me at this point. But I am certain there are many forum members who are quite capable of doing so. It might be an idea who's time has come? I have no idea what costs would be to acquire crashed airframe components nor how available the access would be. Maybe a new thread or forum gets established for Frankenstein DJI Drones? Recycling and sustainability seem to be very fashionable concepts these days so let us extrapolate this to drones.

DJI (like the M600) or Tarot frames have been used for a long time to make custom drones. They are bought by the piece and then assembled. Then it's a matter of putting in a Pixhawk and a good firmware, in this case, certainly Ardupilot (like everything else in my modest opinion).

I mount my own birds (with the exception of the H520 which is the only one I have bought and we can see the results it is giving us) and fix them if necessary. All based on open source and with a large community behind it that solves problems in days (not months). It's definitely worth it.

Your encouragement is spot on and based on your experience very welcomed. I have looked into the Ardupilot technology and have seen a few different examples and I am moving in that direction. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece