Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H PLUS Autopilot on the H520 ?????

@Tuna i'm going to say this, don't take it personally, but looking at what I see, I think the statement you're making is not based on anything real, even though you may be right.

Just to be clear, no one knows what Yuneec is going to do, except the Chinese headquarters. It has been shown time and time again that the delegations that Yuneec has contradict each other all the time. Unless you work for Yuneec I don't know where you get this information because not even his own workers know where the company is going. But even working for Yuneec it has been shown that it is not known either. We are already bored with delegations saying that there is going to be an update and that is not the case. That they are going to add features and they are not, and a long etc..

That they have created 2 different working groups to develop the software can only say that for whatever reasons they can not advance in the version based on PX4. With the intention of bringing another drone to market they have developed the version of the Typoon H and have implemented it in the Typoon H PLUS. This is really a completely valid assumption.

I will not fall into the trap of starting to list "amateur" and "professional' functions. In order to carry out certain tasks, it is necessary to use advanced functions, which are not currently available on the H520, even the most basic ones.

I also disagree that it is not necessary to make the H PLUS firmware compatible with the H520, much less that it's not necessary, quite the contrary. . This would allow us to have functions in the H520 to be able to do those tasks that we should have been able to do 9 months ago. When it is developed, if it ever does, the PX4-based frimware, will not be required the H PLUS firmware. In the meantime, it is necessary, indeed, it would be indispensable.

I don't understand why anyone doesn't want the H520 to have as many functions as possible :confused:

Your plan seems like the best one to me, continue to add functionality to expand the ability of the machine for the pilot.

It does seem reasonalbe for Yuneec to add functionality so the drones are more versatile, and one drone can do more types of work. I am beginning to wonder if they are just going to abandon the 520 in the long term and expand the H+ - but I just a total guess on my part. ( I thought I would see much more videos online, examples of the 520 in more places.) Unfortunately, some of the "amateur" features, are basic at this stage of development, and to not have them, is limiting. In having the H520, and the phantom 4 pro, I thought I would sell whichever one I thought would fit my work the best, but some of the work I do, the H520 cannot currently do. I had heard that they were "coming" but that was a long time ago.

Reactions: arruntus

And what are you basing this gem of information on? We have been promised added functions since launch and all we have got so far is features that were working removed and half arsed attempts at what has been added, also more bugs introduced when trying to fix others. I would love to know whether you have an insider at Yuneec that makes you so sure on this, but if you are basing it on hope alone then that makes your statement incorrect!

And what are you basing this gem of information on? We have been promised added functions since launch and all we have got so far is features that were working removed and half arsed attempts at what has been added, also more bugs introduced when trying to fix others. I would love to know whether you have an insider at Yuneec that makes you so sure on this, but if you are basing it on hope alone then that makes your statement incorrect!
Seen it.

Most of have seen a Beta version with lots of amazing things on it, I did my test flight on such a version, that was going to be released within weeks nearly 6 months ago, yet still we are all here waiting. If it exists then why are we all still waiting? If that is all you are basing it on then I fear you may set yourself up for disappointment.

Just to be clear, Yuneec did not see it as a requirement to make their consumer and commercial software compatible. They set out to use two different teams so as to be able to offer two different products - one 'industry standard' and compatible with apps like Pix4D, and one that offered what they perceive to be consumer features (curved cable cam etc.).

It's not an accident, and unless their business priorities change, they have no reason to encourage compatibility between the different platforms.

and they got it wrong, there still seem to be internal argument in Yuneec, so if the sensible people win we will get the features they promised day one, but if the gobshites that made the wrong decisions in the first place win then the H520 will remain as testament to incompetence

Just so you all know Kev mentioned me earlier in the post about linking 520 to H+ autopilot st16s. I tried it this evening and autopilot does not see the E90 or the 520. Android system picks up the camera and you can view the camera on st16s via autopilot but that’s it no connection other than that. So that blows any idea out the water.
Yuneec have now stopped that after the beta was released in the public release

@Tuna i'm going to say this, don't take it personally, but looking at what I see, I think the statement you're making is not based on anything real, even though you may be right.

No offence taken. I spoke directly with Yuneec at the time that the H520 project was being started, and we discussed a number of options. As this was under a non-disclosure agreement, I cannot say much more - and in that respect I am taking care to only say things that are publicly known about the company.

That they have created 2 different working groups to develop the software can only say that for whatever reasons they can not advance in the version based on PX4. With the intention of bringing another drone to market they have developed the version of the Typoon H and have implemented it in the Typoon H PLUS. This is really a completely valid assumption.

It's valid, but you are making the assumption that the development work for the H Plus was started after the H520 was complete. That's not the case. The H520 and H Plus were planned together.

I also disagree that it is not necessary to make the H PLUS firmware compatible with the H520, much less that it's not necessary, quite the contrary. . This would allow us to have functions in the H520 to be able to do those tasks that we should have been able to do 9 months ago. When it is developed, if it ever does, the PX4-based frimware, will not be required the H PLUS firmware. In the meantime, it is necessary, indeed, it would be indispensable.

I don't understand why anyone doesn't want the H520 to have as many functions as possible :confused:

Please note that I'm not saying that what Yuneec chose to do was a good decision or bad. Whatever their plans might have been, things change as projects develop and products reach the market. I can't comment on their current plans for the different machines, as they have not told me. It is not clear to me whether they have changed their strategy for software development as a result of their experience with the new machines.

Like most people on here, I believe it would help the company to more directly involve the community and third party developers to deliver the widest, most flexible set of features for their platform. In the early days of the drone industry, there was a technological race to develop even basic flight control - and as a result, secrecy was seen as beneficial, if not essential for survival. Now that drones are maturing and flight platforms are very capable, there is less differentiation and it seems logical to encourage an ecosystem to grow around a platform. That requires a different strategy. Without knowing where the company intends to go, or it's immediate goals, this is all just guesswork though. You can't run a company from the outside :D

To their credit, Yuneec have survived some very difficult times in the drone industry that have left other companies broken. My main hope for them is that they continue to produce machines that excite both consumer and commercial pilots. Personally, I hope that means they produce the sort of machines I want to fly, but they are not here for my benefit :) Commercially, I am not dependent on Yuneec for my business so have no reason to demand they follow a particular strategy.

Just so you all know Kev mentioned me earlier in the post about linking 520 to H+ autopilot st16s. I tried it this evening and autopilot does not see the E90 or the 520. Android system picks up the camera and you can view the camera on st16s via autopilot but that’s it no connection other than that. So that blows any idea out the water.
Yuneec have now stopped that after the beta was released in the public release
Sorry guys it is not meant to be, everything worked in the beta version of Flightmode 2, The H+ App, but it doesn't in the release version. Peggy and I tried every combination possible last night on his H520 and the best we could get was a picture, as Peggy mentioned, on the ST16s but no control at all. Although it would have been nice, in reality even if it had worked, the firmware on the H520 is different to the H+ and it could have been dangerous to fly it. Fingers crossed, we might eventually get some of the features of the H+, it has been suggested, possibly, maybe, coming soonish!!!

Just made this video to help people find the hidden menu to calibrate the Gyro and Accelerometer on the H Plus seeing as its not documented anywhere.

How to find the secret hidden menu on the Typhoon H Plus controller to access the Gyro and Accelerometer Sensors

I see things more as a “carrot on a stick” situation. The primary goal of Yuneec was to sell product, nothing more, nothing less. As they want to sell more product, promises of firmware and function improvements helps sell more product. It’s easy to make excuses for delayed improvements that will never be made. If you bought a 520 it may be better to accept you got had, find ways to effectively utilize what it has as it is, and maintain a slim hope it will be improved.

The only question I have right now is whether or not they will do things the same way with the Plus. We should remember the Chinese hobby business mantra is to get as much as you can as fast as you can and worry about product issues later, if at all. For some of them it’s more profitable to release and sell a new model with corrections for issues in previous models than it is to provide free corrective updates.

A large problem we face with drones is not those found in firm and software; it’s our own gullibility.

I see things more as a “carrot on a stick” situation. The primary goal of Yuneec was to sell product, nothing more, nothing less. As they want to sell more product, promises of firmware and function improvements helps sell more product. It’s easy to make excuses for delayed improvements that will never be made. If you bought a 520 it may be better to accept you got had, find ways to effectively utilize what it has as it is, and maintain a slim hope it will be improved.

The only question I have right now is whether or not they will do things the same way with the Plus. We should remember the Chinese hobby business mantra is to get as much as you can as fast as you can and worry about product issues later, if at all. For some of them it’s more profitable to release and sell a new model with corrections for issues in previous models than it is to provide free corrective updates.

A large problem we face with drones is not those found in firm and software; it’s our own gullibility.

I am afraid you may be correct, dont think that was their intent, but it may just be that the rollout and development took to long, and now their are more capable machines, I was hoping for a more competitive package in the H520, but I am honestly wondering if Yuneec is just better off, adding the commercial mapping features to the H+ since it does not seem the H520 ever really took off (pardon the pun). This would give them one machine at a reasonable price point.

It doesn't do any company any good to lie to their customers. Especially customers who have paid a large sum of money on a product that their business will depend upon. Even short term sales improvements will rapidly be overtaken by returns, complaints and a lost reputation. I don't think anyone in Yuneec has set out to lie to customers.

On the other hand (and we saw it with the original Typhoon), there are customers who jump in, sight unseen and assume a drone will behave exactly as they imagine in their heads. These are complex machines, you really can't make that assumption. Read the reviews, watch the videos, test it out in person. If your business is going to depend on your drone - do due diligence and walk away if the machine doesn't suit you. With electronic devices, the only features you can rely on are the ones it has on the day you purchase it. Where things are not quite as you require you have to do the math - either reject it, or figure out how you're going to work around the problem.

As it is, I think the H520 is still a highly competitive platform - certainly the H Plus is being well received with very similar specs. It's up to Yuneec to make sure that the firmware and support makes it a platform that commercial users can buy with confidence. The next few months (with promised updates) will make it clearer whether it is or not.

Reactions: 10-8
Thank you Thon,
"Yuneec has predicted that there is a clear difference between business and consumer models"
rather not bad
Professional drone, more expensive with the least functions available.
Consumer Drone, all functions for half the price.
Does Yuneec take Pro users for cash cows or idiots?
I'm not sure if Yuneec does that but if you've ever read some of the DjI Inspire threads and the fact that it only recently can fly without horrible drift they must feel that way about their "pros" who use Inspire. From their crystal sky controller and their battery chargers and other top tier priced items with poor reliability and performance features they've got quite a group of rich morons salivating for more.

Reactions: Panomapic and 10-8
I'm not sure if Yuneec does that but if you've ever read some of the DjI Inspire threads and the fact that it only recently can fly without horrible drift they must feel that way about their "pros" who use Inspire. From their crystal sky controller and their battery chargers and other top tier priced items with poor reliability and performance features they've got quite a group of rich morons salivating for more.

Having owned both platforms, I wish I could combine the freedom and stability of the H520, with the software availability and utility of the DJI products. I basically found the H520 too limited in what the software would allow. I see it as the most cost effective way to get a more stable drone, but too limited in tasks it can perform for most of the work I am doing. Not sure what the future holds, was hoping for an honest contender and some real competition for DJI in this space, now I think it seems likely they will have to abandon the H520 and focus on a commercial product that offers more features or more options. But this is a total guess on my part.

What other manufacturers may or may not do is their problem. Our problem is that the manufacturer of the aircraft we bought is doing a very bad job. Yuneec can not sell a product with one feature and 10 months later still not give them. Something as basic as changing the station's mode is now off.

To have an aircraft with 20 functionalities and that fails things could say that it is normal, but to have an aircraft with 0 functionalities and that also fails is a joke. To justify one manufacturer doing it wrong for the sake of another is very sad, I say it with affection but that is the truth.

What other manufacturers may or may not do is their problem. Our problem is that the manufacturer of the aircraft we bought is doing a very bad job. Yuneec can not sell a product with one feature and 10 months later still not give them. Something as basic as changing the station's mode is now off.

To have an aircraft with 20 functionalities and that fails things could say that it is normal, but to have an aircraft with 0 functionalities and that also fails is a joke. To justify one manufacturer doing it wrong for the sake of another is very sad, I say it with affection but that is the truth.
Would you be referring to the poor souls who purchased the 520's? On the one hand I've got sympathy for them but on the other hand there were so many red flags besides price which indicated to me I would not be purchasing one. Perhaps the biggest glowing red flag was the almost total lack of worthwhile sample footage that indicated to me it was something I could generate revenue from. I was not too excited about highway patrol usage to shoot accident scenes or someone shooting building inspections. I could have done that with a much cheaper drone which had more versatility. I recall vividly people expressing concern at the time of release about the lack of information and examples of creative uses. However don't make the mistake of thinking I'm a clairvoyant. It's just that I saw this same sort of thing with the Align Hex which was supposed to be able to deliver smooth video with a Canon 5D attached to it. No smooth footage existed showing it worked but I bought one anyway and will regret that stupidity the rest of my life.

Would you be referring to the poor souls who purchased the 520's? On the one hand I've got sympathy for them but on the other hand there were so many red flags besides price which indicated to me I would not be purchasing one. Perhaps the biggest glowing red flag was the almost total lack of worthwhile sample footage that indicated to me it was something I could generate revenue from. I was not too excited about highway patrol usage to shoot accident scenes or someone shooting building inspections. I could have done that with a much cheaper drone which had more versatility. I recall vividly people expressing concern at the time of release about the lack of information and examples of creative uses. However don't make the mistake of thinking I'm a clairvoyant. It's just that I saw this same sort of thing with the Align Hex which was supposed to be able to deliver smooth video with a Canon 5D attached to it. No smooth footage existed showing it worked but I bought one anyway and will regret that stupidity the rest of my life.

I'm one of those poor souls who bought the 520's and you're right. One could have expected a little delay before the improvement but not 10 months with no progress or so small that it makes one laugh.

I am also sorry I bought it and many other people are selling it very cheaply and wanting to get rid of it.

It's too long for anyone's patience. Even if they were to release an update tomorrow that would give you everything you need, what they said you were going to have (which is not going to happen) would still be a very bad buy. They do not know to what extent they have lost confidence in many buyers and potential buyers. The funny thing is that there are still people who try to justify it, what happens is that at this point it is even offensive.

You learn from everything in this life, with Yuneec I have learned my lesson :cool:

I'm one of those poor souls who bought the 520's and you're right. One could have expected a little delay before the improvement but not 10 months with no progress or so small that it makes one laugh.

I am also sorry I bought it and many other people are selling it very cheaply and wanting to get rid of it.

It's too long for anyone's patience. Even if they were to release an update tomorrow that would give you everything you need, what they said you were going to have (which is not going to happen) would still be a very bad buy. They do not know to what extent they have lost confidence in many buyers and potential buyers. The funny thing is that there are still people who try to justify it, what happens is that at this point it is even offensive.

You learn from everything in this life, with Yuneec I have learned my lesson :cool:
This industry is one of the most unethical I've ever dealt with. Unkept promises and non existent "features" plague the entire industry coupled with the completely unscrupulous practices of the dominant leader in the industry against all other companies who have the audacity to try and move the technology along. It's definitely not something the faint at heart should become involved with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech