Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Plus Firmware Glitch? Or Flyaway indicator?

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
Ever since I updated the Build 784 I have noticed a peculiar phenomenon on the ST16S display.

The little arrow in the center of the Attitude Indicator is sometimes off center, usually it is about half way to the outside edge, in no particular direction, but on this occasion it was completely outside the indicator's circle. Does this mean it is outside the circle of death? Okay, I know the the circle of death is different, but what the heck is going on???
This is something new and I worry it might be a warning indication that the Plus is planning a breakout and will attempt to fly away if I lift off! I can power off then right back on again and it will always re-position the arrow and everything is normal until the next time it happens -a few flights later.

Another thing -not necessarily related because the timing/place is inconsistent- I have noticed since the update is I'm getting more Geomagnetic Interference warnings than I ever got before, and in places I never had them before -places in the middle of a field with nothing metallic around. The warnings are random, not president if I hover in place after clearing the warning or return to the spot the warning occurred, and not always occurring in the same place. Calibrating the compass doesn't seem to satisfy the system and its frequent nagging. There are no problems or issues when in flight, it's always rock solid, so it is starting to become "The boy who cried wolf", yet it is a bit unnerving.

Anyone else experiencing these anomalies?
ScreenHunter_6205 Jan. 25 11.44.jpg

I have noticed since the update is I'm getting more Geomagnetic Interference warnings than I ever got before
I nearly always get that warning and I just clear it and fly. I've also gotten it frequently on the H and do the same. There is a lot of iron ore in the ground here and I just chalk it up to ground effect. If it happens when I'm over 20' then I would give it more credence.

Can you do a screenshot of the arrow when in flight? I'm also curious about this change.

I've seen the same warning on and off as well. I clear it and ignore it. As long as aI know I have a good compass calibration and solid GPS lock I am not too concerned about it. The arrow thing is interesting. I have not seen that on mine. I am on build 784 as well.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Can you do a screenshot of the arrow when in flight? I'm also curious about this change.
I will do that the next time it happens. I have always rebooted the Plus when I've seen that before, never tried taking off with it in that state, just in case it was a sign that something wasn't right.

So Steve, if it turns out to really be a "Fly Away Warning indicator" and it ends up flying off, are you going to replace it? I'm willing to try this for you but hey, you're the one putting me up this, so you're gonna pay if flies away!:confused:

It did not happen today, but I'll be ready to lift off the next time it does happen, ...unless you aren't going to replace it, then forget about it, test it yourself when it happens to you!:mad:

Reactions: Grumpy
It did not happen today, but I'll be ready to lift off the next time it does happen,
In your screenshot above it appears the controller has no sats found and therefore no distance display. That may be the reason the arrow is not in the proper position.

That could be. I powered them both up on the porch at the house, a 20' differential from the meadow below, where I took the screenshot -Note the displayed Altitude. The walk down the hill is thru the woods (The Gauntlet I told you about), I'm sure the ST16 lost the few sats it had on the way down the hill, but the Plus hung on to most of its. This is not the first time, just the worst time, and I snapped the shot within a short time. I'll start paying closer attention, and wait longer to see if things settle out the next time.

I will do that the next time it happens. I have always rebooted the Plus when I've seen that before, never tried taking off with it in that state, just in case it was a sign that something wasn't right.

So Steve, if it turns out to really be a "Fly Away Warning indicator" and it ends up flying off, are you going to replace it? I'm willing to try this for you but hey, you're the one putting me up this, so you're gonna pay if flies away!:confused:

It did not happen today, but I'll be ready to lift off the next time it does happen, ...unless you aren't going to replace it, then forget about it, test it yourself when it happens to you!:mad:

Steve, I think DCH has you confused with the Yes! Insurance with Yuneec. Either that or now we know how you afford to buy your aircraft. ;)

I get the geomagnetic warning all the time too. Never seen that arrow problem on mine. I do have an issue with my drone creeping up in altitude, and just noticed it today creeping down. I have completely wiped data and reinstalled 784 a few weeks ago and nothing changed. When I boot up the remote and drone, I let it sit for about 2 minutes before firing the motors. That has helped alot with the creeping issue.

Reactions: Ffrobbyrob
Steve, I think DCH has you confused with the Yes! Insurance with Yuneec. Either that or now we know how you afford to buy your aircraft. ;)
Ha....there are few people that can match my extensive experience in crashing perfectly good aircraft. My flight logs should be on display as the antithesis of pilot perfection. I do, however, excel at recovery and repair. It's a lofty pairing which good pilots will never achieve.

Ha....there are few people that can match my extensive experience in crashing perfectly good aircraft. My flight logs should be on display as the antithesis of pilot perfection. I do, however, excel at recovery and repair. It's a lofty pairing which good pilots will never achieve.
Spoken like a true master! :cool:

Oh what I wouldn't give for a copy of your flight logs! Oh, and especially the one where the tree performed the now famous hand catch er crown catch!!
...What do you mean which one?
Oh yeah, I guess I need to be way more specific, ...you know, the one that took out the C23 body. The darn camera was looking back so we couldn't see the best part!
Or maybe you have a similar one with the camera facing forward that you haven't told us about? Please, do share won't you?

I have seen similar anomalies @DCH I even posted about it back in the summer. I noticed on some occasions, that upon starting up, I would even see the 'Distance' figure as high as seven or eight digits, as in 18 million feet away! This, when it was only ten feet away! Notice in your picture, the distance figure is not even populated?

I suspect, that there are times when we start up and the aircraft is attaining satellites and its fix, some of the previous info is being updated while at the same time the display is effected. I began to watch closely as the boot process proceeded, eventually all the data would be correct and the little pipper would eventually get back to where it belongs.

What happens when you just let it continue to boot up?

I suspect, that there are times when we start up and the aircraft is attaining satellites and its fix, some of the previous info is being updated while at the same time the display is effected. I began to watch closely as the boot process proceeded, eventually all the data would be correct and the little pipper would eventually get back to where it belongs.
What happens when you just let it continue to boot up?
Hey! I was just trying to follow your lead when you used the little pipper to point to all the icons in your ST16S Video. I got it come out of the indicator circle just fine, and I used it to aid in my preflight, but the little bugger refused to go back the circle when I was finished!:oops:
Clearly you know how to manipulate this pipper all over the screen to explain the icons, and we see you put it right back in place when your done. So why won't you share this tip with us Ty?:confused:

Here's the Proof!

Pipper pointing:
pipper-pointing-jpg.13984

Pipper Return To Home:
Pipper RTH.jpg

Pipper Parked!
Pipper Parked.jpg

Attachments

• Pipper Pointing.jpg
    Pipper Pointing.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Ty Pilot
I had this happen to me today, but not that exaggerated. It stayed inside the circle. I snapped a screenshot of it.

Clearly you know how to manipulate this pipper all over the screen to explain the icons, and we see you put it right back in place when your done. So why won't you share this tip with us Ty?:confused:

:cool:
If you will notice, in the video, I also have those screens shots in 4K - thats because they are not screen shots. ;) I developed each of the elements of the ST-16s Display in Photoshop, at 4K, and then brought all the layers into After Effects and made the whole animation, exported as a PNG Sequence and then slapped a few of my evening sunsets in the background with some movement and Viola the - video is as you see it. You can also see that I fade up each of the elements as the narration proceeds and the pipper is right on que to explain each of the items. It would be impossible to do this with the actual ST-16 screen so I went ahead and did the extra work to make the sequence the way I wanted it

Here is the actual image of the pipper at full size as well as the attitude indicator (sans transparent background). All off these were created as close to possible as what you see on the screen of the ST-16 . You'll note that the pipper does not have the same three chiseled sides looks as the actual pipper that is parked in the circle but I do transition it as I fly it to the home point. I wanted to make the landing sort of an Easter egg.
Pippy.png
Attitude.png

Last edited:
Reactions: oliver and DCH
You'll note that the pipper does not have the same three chiseled sides looks as the actual pipper that is parked in the circle but I do transition it as I fly it to the home point. I wanted to make the landing sort of an Easter egg.
WoW! I really didn't think you would divulge your secret with so little pressure applied. I thought I was going to have to call the people I know, who know people who know people, who always get answers, but you caved right away. A wise choice, ...I understand their methods are not conventional!

Well this is a good opportunity to point uh pipper out the point (and point to the pipper) that you really put a lot of effort into your videos and they are extremely professional in every way. Always a pleasure to watch again and again.

I know I can hardly open my mouth or type a sentence without cracking a joke, but I'm as serious as cancer when I say this. Thanks for your outstanding offerings here.

I had this happen to me today, but not that exaggerated. It stayed inside the circle. I snapped a screenshot of it.
Please post it, I would like to study the display, especially the satellite counts.

Remember when clearing the flight log was a necessary step on 480 upgrades? Maybe that’s true for the Plus and after firmware updates we need to have that cleared out for fresh data? Then after first compass calibration let it sit in the open for a new table of contents for the satellites? That could help I think but I’m just guessing.

I can say I have not seen this issue but then again I don’t look down much when I’m flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextsi