Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 batteries in Typhoon H

Reaction score
Hi. I have searched a number of posts here which suggest that it is ok to use a H520 battery in a TH. However, I contacted Yuneec UK Technical to ask their view and they said that it's not advised due to the higher voltage of the H520 battery, which might damage the hardware. Is there a definitive answer to this query?

Yes, what you were told by Yuneec UK... The H batteries can be used in the H520/Plus, but not visa versa.

Yes, what you were told by Yuneec UK... The H batteries can be used in the H520/Plus, but not visa versa.
I read a thread here that DCH (Doctorfrankanphoon) was using both types in both models?

Last edited:
Do one really believe that 0.6V higher voltage will destroy Typhoon H hardware? Anyone?

I did and I will use HV LiPo for the typhoon H without hesitation. But evyone needs to decide by himself. If I would be Yuneec I would also say no just to be on the safe side. They have enough other problems...

br HE

Thanks for the input everyone. While it may or may not be ok, another thought is that my insurance may not cover me if there was an incident and I was using a non-approved battery in the TH. Think I'll order some 3rd party TH batteries.

In 2019 I was informed by a Yuneec engineer that the LiHV batteries used in the H+/H520 were acceptable to use in the H480 platform. For the entire pack you are looking at a voltage difference of +0.6VDC. He stated the electronics were able to handle that difference without problem. The biggest problem is that they are much more expensive and the longevity has proved to be shorter.

One of our members that has explorered the components in use on the H480 Mainboard might know what voltage regulator components are used and be able to find a spec sheet on them.

Do one really believe that 0.6V higher voltage will destroy Typhoon H hardware? Anyone?

I did and I will use HV LiPo for the typhoon H without hesitation. But evyone needs to decide by himself. If I would be Yuneec I would also say no just to be on the safe side. They have enough other problems...

br HE

If I was the manufacturer I’d say no to discourage people from buying product with lower profit margin.

To suggest a 0.6v higher voltage difference could be problematic is ludicrous. Yuneec has yet to use any component with that tight of a tolerance. Even the aircraft voltage monitoring system is off by 0.1 to 0.2v at the high side of the voltage range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuneec Skins
If I was the manufacturer I’d say no to discourage people from buying product with lower profit margin.

To suggest a 0.6v higher voltage difference could be problematic is lubricous. Yuneec has yet to use any component with that tight of a tolerance. Even the aircraft voltage monitoring system is off by 0.1 to 0.2v at the high side of the voltage range.
I already think Yuneec have done enough discouraging for a lifetime!

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
The extra voltage will not harm anything however there some things to keep in mind. First, due to the different voltages, the ‘low battery ‘ warnings will be off slightly. In a Plus, a 480 battery hits the first warning when it is still around 50 percent- well above its lowest point.

While I never flew a 480 with the Plus battery, I suspect that if one where to fly into the low battery warning, it may be well below a safe level, but again I do not know this for sure.

The second point is that if you do get Plus or 520 batteries you’ll need to get either a corresponding charger or find the now, non existent charge leads

The extra voltage will not harm anything however there some things to keep in mind. First, due to the different voltages, the ‘low battery ‘ warnings will be off slightly. In a Plus, a 480 battery hits the first warning when it is still around 50 percent- well above its lowest point.

While I never flew a 480 with the Plus battery, I suspect that if one where to fly into the low battery warning, it may be well below a safe level, but again I do not know this for sure.

The second point is that if you do get Plus or 520 batteries you’ll need to get either a corresponding charger or find the now, non existent charge leads
All good points Ty! Especially not flying to the low battery warning when using the LiHV batteries on the H480’s. My suggestion would be to consider 15.4V to be the start landing procedure most of us use at 14.8V with the LiPo packs, and the be on the ground voltage before 14.8V (3.7V per cell which is 0.15V per cell lower than their nominal voltage).

If you are in the Americas, finding charging adapters for the LiHV packs is problematic as Ty pointed out.

The voltage differences and keeping an eye on have been discussed before on other threads, it's not ideal but for some not prepared or feel comfortable about battery conversion, it's a possibility.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I have both Typhoon H and H520, but the Th batteries are performing poorly now. I was hoping I could share the H520 batteries between the drones as dual purpose batteries. Maybe not then.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I have both Typhoon H and H520, but the Th batteries are performing poorly now. I was hoping I could share the H520 batteries between the drones as dual purpose batteries. Maybe not then.
There still seems to be GiFi and power extra available on eBay and Amazon. There are 3D printed adapters which use standard batteries, only a slightly visual difference.

Do you have any suggestions on what battery is best to use as a replacement for the OEMs?
There still seems to be GiFi and power extra available on eBay and Amazon. There are 3D printed adapters which use standard batteries, only a slightly visual difference.

GiFi have probably taken over from Ultrax as the second best behind the original, some have had great results, others not, if you decide on one, thoughly test it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech