Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the Typhoon H Plus worth the upgrade?

I would like to reinforce everything Ty has stated. I bought 2 typhoon H's only to return them and buy 2 Typhoon H pluses. I do not regret it at all. The video on the C23 is amazing, especially when you throw on the correct ND filter and shoot for cinema style quality. You will not regret the upgrade. I highly suggest finding someone with an H plus and testing it out, it will convince you! Already convinced a friend of mine who flew P4's and Inspires to purchase one once he threw mine in the air with a 20mph sustain wind and the drone sat there stationary. As Fred pointed out as well, the drone is surprisingly quiet compared to the H.

The marketing for the Plus says it is larger. The specs show it as larger too. I wonder if this is the because all they have done is extend the length of the arms? Don't know.

Also, batteries are an issue. The picture they show of the stock battery is still a 5200 mAh battery. So I wonder how they are claiming 30+ minutes of flight time? .....

The Plus is 40mm larger in diameter than the original H. It is larger because more powerful motors were employed to allow the use of larger, more efficient propellers. Increasing propeller efficiency, typically done through the use of larger size, lower kV motors turning larger props, helps to increase flight time. It is also one means of increasing weight lift capability.

Advertised flight times are never accurate from any manufacturer. Times noted might well be the best time that was obtained in a perfect environment that may have been flown without the added weight of a camera and gimbal. We should note that conditions and the fitted equipment are never, ever referenced in flight time test results. We don’t KNOW what they did, or how they did it. The time obtained may have happened only once in a thousand flights, but for advertising that’s all they needed to make a true statement. For the user, flight time is whatever you end up with, determined by how they fly and the conditions they fly in. Those that are experienced see an advertised flight time and reduce it by at least 5 minutes, often more, using the reduced time for an initial estimate. Those that are naive believe everything they read.

We might view advertised flight times similar to the stories a guy tells a girl he’s trying to pick up at a bar at 2AM. He’ll say anything he thinks she wants to hear to get the deal done.

The Plus is 40mm larger in diameter than the original H. It is larger because more powerful motors were employed to allow the use of larger, more efficient propellers. Increasing propeller efficiency, typically done through the use of larger size, lower kV motors turning larger props, helps to increase flight time. It is also one means of increasing weight lift capability.

Advertised flight times are never accurate from any manufacturer. Times noted might well be the best time that was obtained in a perfect environment that may have been flown without the added weight of a camera and gimbal. We should note that conditions and the fitted equipment are never, ever referenced in flight time test results. We don’t KNOW what they did, or how they did it. The time obtained may have happened only once in a thousand flights, but for advertising that’s all they needed to make a true statement. For the user, flight time is whatever you end up with, determined by how they fly and the conditions they fly in. Those that are experienced see an advertised flight time and reduce it by at least 5 minutes, often more, using the reduced time for an initial estimate. Those that are naive believe everything they read.

We might view advertised flight times similar to the stories a guy tells a girl he’s trying to pick up at a bar at 2AM. He’ll say anything he thinks she wants to hear to get the deal done.

Exactly, "advertised" flight times was done in a controlled environment, likely with a battery that has been cycled to run at peak efficiency, in a warehouse with no wind, hovering 1 ft off the ground to increase ground effect and provide a more efficient use of lift while leaving it there with no stick input till the battery dies (most likely flying past the 25% battery threshold) till the battery pack is depleted.

You know... the usual flying every consumer doesn't do.

Reactions: DCH
If you contact Yuneec they can send you a form to request an unlock on the geofencing. You fill it out and send it in with a copy of your part 107 and they send you a firmware update that is tied directly to your drone's serial number. You install it and then use the GUI to go in and disable the geofencing.

This is the webpage. Not sure if this is new or not. But here it is for those that do not have it. In addition, Yuneec is far more conservative about NFZ than DJI. It is generally only CLass B and Class C airports, and only in the surface control zone. No extensions, DJI made up areas, etc.

This is the webpage. Not sure if this is new or not. But here it is for those that do not have it. In addition, Yuneec is far more conservative about NFZ than DJI. It is generally only CLass B and Class C airports, and only in the surface control zone. No extensions, DJI made up areas, etc.

good find, Phaedrus.

Yuneec is less difficult about the NFZs than DJI, that's for sure. In my case, I was flying about 2.2 miles from Alliance Airport in Fort Worth. When I got to a certain point, the drone would stop flying forward and a message would appear on screen to say I was entering a no fly zone. Unfortunately, after I went thru the process and installed the update, it did the same thing. I know others have made it work, however, so it's definitely worth pursuing.

Jeff
You are the main reason I bought my THPro. Your videos are great. I would also like to upgrade to the Plus but I have this gut feeling that I should move on and just fly my Evo and older Mavic Pro. Yuneec bothers me and the fact that they won’t respond to you, their biggest supporter, is nuts. I don’t mind spending the money to get the Plus but I have this feeling that Yuneec doesn’t care about their consumer drone customers and that they are leaning heavily toward commercial users.
Bill Dunnuck

Here is what was on their list for Texas. Not sure if this has been updated recently or not. The list I've seen only has 170 of the large US airports on it.

Attachments

• TX-NFZ.png
    TX-NFZ.png
    974.9 KB · Views: 12
Also, batteries are an issue. The picture they show of the stock battery is still a 5200 mAh battery. So I wonder how they are claiming 30+ minutes of flight time? Also, I have a small fleet of H, and not being able to use my other batteries is a big investment. SO maybe I need to look into an after market battery solution, like a battery cradle.
The Battery issue is not a deal breaker by any means. Both batteries will work in either aircraft, they are both 4C LiPo batteries. I have six batteries, 4 LiPo and 2 HV LiPo and I use them in a regular rotation no matter which aircraft I fly.

The Plus uses an HV LiPo that has a slightly higher full charge voltage 15.2 volts, whereas the standard H480 battery is 14.8V. This translates into 0.4 volts, not enough to make any difference in either aircraft, and only enough to make very little difference for the end user, a few minutes of flight time (roughly 3 minutes) is all I ever experience. The increased flight time of the Plus is more a function of the motor/prop upgrade than it is the increase of 0.4 volts of the HV LiPo.

The only real compatibility issue is the difference in the chargers. The balance pins are of a different design so each battery requires the charger Yuneec designed for it. If you are using an aftermarket balance charger you will need a different balance cable for the TH Plus batteries. Again, not a deal breaker.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi JBAndrew. I've done quite a bit of matching Q500 4K and TH video when I was transitioning from one platform to the next. I had no problem blending the two. I've worked with footage from DJI, Yuneec, Autel and Parrot drones, and my favorite to work with by far is the Yuneec. TH footage will be a little better, but I think the basic color values are pretty consistent between the two drones, to the point that I dont think the end user will be able to see the difference - especially if you're going to downsample it to 1080p or put it on Youtube anyway.

oops - my bad. I just saw you were asking about the TH plus.

Hello Sibelius, Thanks for your comments. I know for a fact the Typhoon Q500 4K camera and the Typhoon H cameras are extremely close as you described. I would say it is accurate most people would not be able to tell the difference. This would especially be so if both cameras were white balanced right before shooting in the same light, and if a bit of judicious color grading is applied in post.

I suspect the Typhoon H Plus footage should intercut fairly well with the Q500 4K if again the cameras are all white balanced at the same time, or at nearly the same time. They are both 4K, however, not all 4K cameras are created equal. I ask the question about intercutting because post-production color grading is a very time-consuming process. My biggest suspicion comes down to color richness and or saturation differences. Intercutting that will probably mean all the Q500 footage will have to be matched by "degrading" the Typhoon H Plus in post.

@sibelius

Jeff, I don't have a TH+ yet but I just want to thank you for your YouTube videos that got me going with my TH. You were a guiding light.

I will acquire a TH+ but I'm waiting on Yuneec to provide some features I have on my TH that haven't quite made it to the TH+ yet and to get the firmware sorted out a bit more. In the meantime I've got my two TH birds that keep me happy.

Heya!!! @sibelius
I enjoyed watching your videos, before I bought my TH Plus.. You rock!

Hi JBAndrew. I've done quite a bit of matching Q500 4K and TH video when I was transitioning from one platform to the next. I had no problem blending the two. I've worked with footage from DJI, Yuneec, Autel and Parrot drones, and my favorite to work with by far is the Yuneec. TH footage will be a little better, but I think the basic color values are pretty consistent between the two drones, to the point that I dont think the end user will be able to see the difference - especially if you're going to downsample it to 1080p or put it on Youtube anyway.

oops - my bad. I just saw you were asking about the TH plus.

Upon doing additional research, I located the answer to my own question within Yuneek's Typhoon H Plus product video. I attached it below. 41 seconds in there is a side-by-side comparison of 12 MP 4K footage (Q500) and 20 MP 4K footage (H Plus). The sharpness is fairly similar as I suspected it would be, though the H Plus clearly has the edge. Also as I suspected, the most obvious difference is in color richness greatly favoring the H Plus.

From a video production standpoint, color grading (in Adobe for example) should be able to match both the 12 MP and 20 MP 4K footage so it could be intercut. This would require some effort, but the cut and paste feature in Adobe would permit the color grading to be copied and pasted quickly once the settings are identified. This would then speed up the grading process. As a result, it seems to me investing in the H Plus as an additional UAV while also using older generation 12 MP 4K Yuneek birds would work fairly well.

Last edited:
Like a lot of folks, I had a few specific things I desired over the standard Typhoon H. The Plus, seemed to have nearly all the boxes checked so I got one early on. I have been a Yuneec owner for over two years as well as a member of this forum for that time so I knew the risk and what to expect. I was, and still am, using my Typhoon's for work - mainly real estate photography, and while the DNG's from the Typhoon are very good and can produce excellent pictures for a 12 mega pixel camera, when we turn in our work, there is a clear difference in terms of quality between our ground cameras (DSLRs) and the aerials. On top of this, I wanted to begin doing some videography and for that the CG03+ is rather lacking. I will also mention, having a lot of RC experience and coming from DJI, I found the flight characteristics of the 480 to be well; tolerable, I mean after all, I fly to a spot, hover, then aim the camera and snap the picture. But it was the camera that checked the boxes as I felt the flying could not get worse.

The C23, lived up to all the Hype and immediately justified the purchase in my opinion. The DNG's are stunning while in all fairness the JPGs are rather useless in comparison. If you're not doing professional stills, frames from video look slightly better than the JPGs. The video from the C23 is on another level, the color depth is far superior, the lens distortion; while still visible is far less than the CGO3+ and, the image if far cleaner and doesn't have that magenta cast in the mid tones that are the hallmark of the CG03+

The hidden bonus of the Plus was the flying. In none of Yuneec's literature or video's did they convey the massive difference in flying, the control is far superior in every respect. It is simply a refined version of the Typhoon H in terms of flying. I have hundreds of flights, and have logged close to 50 hours and can say in that time; I have not had one loss of video signal nor has the RC ever been disconnected except to say that when I flew though a densely forested area, the IPS kicked in as expected. The Plus will handle any wind the H will and then some, it is a far more powerful craft. All the flight modes are functional, albeit with some slight operational differences, most of which are a positive - once you learn them.

I would tell any current Typhoon H pilot to find a friend who has a Plus and ask if you could take it for a flight, but do so only when you have about 1800 bucks lying around because when you're done, you will be sold. I think the value of the Plus is well worth it, while there will be newer drones spit out every few months for years to come, the camera technology to advance past the level of something like the Plus or P4P is always going to be a higher end of equipment and therefore cost more. While we may see BVLOS operations in the near future, how many will need to run out and get certified for that and then need to buy a drone that can do it? So the flying parameters we currently operate under will be the same for years to come. The Plus can fly that mission day in and day out and the C23, can produce images that rival DSLRs. To me even with it's drawbacks - the Plus is at the top of the sub 2000.00 class.
Hi Ty Pilot - I enjoyed your YT episodes on the H plus and I think I subscribed to your channel this weekend!

You're really hitting on most all of my priorities in your comments. I need a drone that is stable, reliable, has video quality and handles the wind. As I told LinsonW, I think my needs are pretty simple. I don't need high flight speeds, a range that goes beyond a mile (I've never come close to flying that far), interchangeable lenses or any of that.

I'm very encouraged to hear everyone talk about the H being reliable - that's how I viewed the Q500 when I flew it, and I thought the H took a small step back from that.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts - I have an unrelated thought I wanted to share with you, which I'll do with a PM.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I would like to reinforce everything Ty has stated. I bought 2 typhoon H's only to return them and buy 2 Typhoon H pluses. I do not regret it at all. The video on the C23 is amazing, especially when you throw on the correct ND filter and shoot for cinema style quality. You will not regret the upgrade. I highly suggest finding someone with an H plus and testing it out, it will convince you! Already convinced a friend of mine who flew P4's and Inspires to purchase one once he threw mine in the air with a 20mph sustain wind and the drone sat there stationary. As Fred pointed out as well, the drone is surprisingly quiet compared to the H.

I'd love to try one out before I got one . . . I looked on the map and didn't see anyone in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, unfortunately. I belong to the North Texas Drone User Group but I've seen very few people who own a Yuneec. Lots of DJI and custom built drones, even a GoPro Karma one time. I guess if I got one and ultimately didn't like it, I could sell it - from what I've seen, they seem to hold their value very well.

This will surprise you, but I actually LIKE having some noise coming from the drone, for the same reason motorcycle owners like to have noisy bikes. I know I'm in the minority on that. I use the sound as an additional way to keep track of the drone as I'm flying it and if it were to get out of control, the sound may give a bystander a moment's more notice to get out of its way. Now if I were shooting weddings, parties, close to people, etc., I can see that the quiet operation would have real value. I flew the H yesterday and a guy walking by said, "Man, that thing is quiet!" so I can imagine how the plus is.

Reactions: KellyR
Jeff
You are the main reason I bought my THPro. Your videos are great. I would also like to upgrade to the Plus but I have this gut feeling that I should move on and just fly my Evo and older Mavic Pro. Yuneec bothers me and the fact that they won’t respond to you, their biggest supporter, is nuts. I don’t mind spending the money to get the Plus but I have this feeling that Yuneec doesn’t care about their consumer drone customers and that they are leaning heavily toward commercial users.
Bill Dunnuck

Every time I fly the Evo, I like it more and more. It has been incredibly reliable for me and I love its flight times. I haven't really tested it in higher winds - I need to do that - but I don't have the confidence it will work even as well as the P4P, and its video quality is good but I still like Yuneec video the best. So I fly the Evo for fun and to do YT episodes but I won't use it for commercial work.

Let me say this about Yuneec. Their Marketing department drives me nuts. On the other hand, I've dealt with their tech support / customer support contacts countless times and I've never had anything less than excellent experiences. I know others have had different reactions to their tech support calls, but mine have always been great. So I feel good about getting a Yuneec drone from the customer care perspective.

Glad you enjoyed the videos!

@sibelius

Jeff, I don't have a TH+ yet but I just want to thank you for your YouTube videos that got me going with my TH. You were a guiding light.

I will acquire a TH+ but I'm waiting on Yuneec to provide some features I have on my TH that haven't quite made it to the TH+ yet and to get the firmware sorted out a bit more. In the meantime I've got my two TH birds that keep me happy.

Thanks, Ron - you've been a great supporter to the channel - I've seen your comments on various videos and on this forum as well, and I really appreciate that.

So what is the H plus missing for you currently?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder