Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 - Controller not connecting to vehicle

Reaction score
Hi,

I flew my H520 last Friday without any issues.

I tried to connect to the vehicle (with a laptop) this evening to download the logs and noticed would not connect. I tried to power down the vehicle by pressing the power button but got no response. Powers up fine with the power button.

I tried to connect with the controller but can only connect to the E50 camera. I can see video but cannot control the camera. No vehicle battery display.

I notice that the a couple of the dampers had split and leaked on to the vehicle. Perhaps this has caused damage to the board?

Any advice ?

Thanks,

Jez

I notice that the a couple of the dampers had split and leaked on to the vehicle. Perhaps this has caused damage to the board?
Don't worry they are filled with silicon oil which has a very low electrical conductivity. I'm positive you could even submerge the drone in this oil without noticing any effects.

Have you tried setting up a new model on you remote? Sometimes there is something strange going on and this might fix the issue.

Don't worry they are filled with silicon oil which has a very low electrical conductivity. I'm positive you could even submerge the drone in this oil without noticing any effects.

Have you tried setting up a new model on you remote? Sometimes there is something strange going on and this might fix the issue.
It's a H520.
So start up the controller, start up the H520,
Keep it upside down till the LEDs are blinking yellow.
Put it straight up on the table and it will bind it self.
The LEDs go automatically in normal mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DoomMeister
Thanks for your replies,

Yuneec got in touch and sent me an older version of autopilot to re-flash the H520 - which worked.

Thanks for your replies,

Yuneec got in touch and sent me an older version of autopilot to re-flash the H520 - which worked.
Can you please make a film how to re-flash the controler?
So all the members can see how it works.
And the software please.

As requested - I have zipped the file.

from Yuneec:

All you need to do is place the file into a formatted sd card in fat32 and place this into the camera.
When you switch the drone on everything should act as normal but after a few minutes hopefully you’ll see all the lights go out on the arms and then flash back on with a tone from the drone giving you an indication the reflash is complete.
If this is the case hopefully reconnect the drone to the ST16S again and perform the OTA updates to reinstall the newer auto pilot.

Attachments

• autopilot.zip
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 41
Can you please make a film how to re-flash the controler?
So all the members can see how it works.
And the software please.
The file re-flashes the drone, not the controller.
I'd have to wipe the drone again to do that unfortunately and I have a heavy workload due to being without a drone for a few days. I will do so as soon as I have the time.

It's a H520.
So start up the controller, start up the H520,
Keep it upside down till the LEDs are blinking yellow.
Put it straight up on the table and it will bind it self.
The LEDs go automatically in normal mode.
Interesting enough, after doing the January firmware update (think it is that) which failed near the end saying not able to connect to the server, I could not connect to the E90. It wouldn't show it as an option.

The camera would constantly blink purple with no pause, and the link area would spin for a bit, pause, and spin some more. Powered off the H520 and the controller, as well as pulled the H520 battery, gave it around 30 minutes, tried again, and no luck.

After flipping it over, waiting for everything to be yellow, and flipping it back, it was an option again in the link area.

I though turned it off, and back on, and it is back to blinking purple, and the controller not seeing it. Turned it off, and back on again, and this time it saw it, so selected it, it tried for a bit, and then failed saying timed out and vanished, and then came back. Tried again, and the same thing happened, but now it doesn't see it at all. When it is turned on, the camera light is red, then green for a second, then red again, solid purple for a bit, and then constant with no pause blinking purple.

Turned it off, and back on, and flipped it over, and now the main lights won't blink yellow. Pulled the battery, and turned off the controller, and gave it 10 minutes. Turned everything on, flipped it over and it started blinking yellow, flipped it back over, and it is still blinking yellow, and the link won't see the camera. The camera is still blinking purple while the main lights are yellow.

Rebooted the H520 again, and briefly it sees the E90, but if I try to select it, it eventually gives the connection time out, and the light on it is blinking constant purple.

It is rather unhappy after that last E90 firmware update attempt.

After flipping it over, waiting for everything to be yellow, and flipping it back, it was an option again in the link area.
Not sure why you are flipping it over and trying to get into the bind mode for an Update. Binding and Updated are two unrelated processes.
You do NOT have to be in bind mode to bind the camera, only to bind the drone.
And it is not necessary to bind the drone if it was bound prior to the update.
If it was NOT bound prior to the update, then binding should be completed as a separate process BEFORE attempting an update.

Not sure why you are flipping it over and trying to get into the bind mode for an Update. Binding and Updated are two unrelated processes.
You do NOT have to be in bind mode to bind the camera, only to bind the drone.
And it is not necessary to bind the drone if it was bound prior to the update.
If it was NOT bound prior to the update, then binding should be completed as a separate process BEFORE attempting an update.
It was more of a desperation thing, but it oddly did work the one time.

I though was just thinking about what all the state was when it did work, and outside of that, I also had the camera memory card out copying files from my last flight off of it. I took the card out, copied everything off just to make sure I wasn't missing anything, then formatted the drive, while it was plugged in to my computer, and put it back in the camera.

There was the downloaded bin files on it also from today when I ran the update.

Booted up everything, and now it is happy. It seems it was stuck in the middle of doing updates. Course doing all this drained my controller down to 23% so need to plug it in for 2 hours (exaggeration) till it is over 30%, and check to see where it is at.

Is this camera the original camera on the drone? I ask for a reason. The UpdatePilot has a quirk in it that is not obvious. UpdatePilot itself has to be bound to the camera that is being used for the update. It is completely different from binding the camera to the controller. You could have mounted a different camera (or drone) to your controller months ago and been flying with no issues. It still will not work with UpdatePilot until you bind the new equipment to UpdatePilot itself. See below for a very brief summary of the steps:

Attachments

• Binding H520 UpdatePilot to Camera.pdf
    485.7 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: DoomMeister
Is this camera the original camera on the drone? I ask for a reason. The UpdatePilot has a quirk in it that is not obvious. UpdatePilot itself has to be bound to the camera that is being used for the update. It is completely different from binding the camera to the controller. You could have mounted a different camera (or drone) to your controller months ago and been flying with no issues. It still will not work with UpdatePilot until you bind the new equipment to UpdatePilot itself. See below for a very brief summary of the steps:
I had done that early on, though it did take a bit to figure out how to get it to quit looking for the other camera. This issue came up after it had downloaded the camera firmware, and was installing it, and then apparently needed to talk to the server, and couldn't.

I was joking when I said I needed to wait 2 hours, but after 5.5 hours, it only had charged 40%. I hope they someday come out with a faster charging system for the controller.

This issue came up after it had downloaded the camera firmware, and was installing it, and then apparently needed to talk to the server, and couldn't.
Not sure why it was looking for the server if it already had the download. But if you want to do the update with no server involved, you can do an SD card upgrade. See Attachment 31 (E90/H520 SD Card Firmware Upgrade) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project if you want to give that a try.

You had also mentioned formatting the SD card in your PC. The card has to be formatted in FAT32 or exFAT. I've seen a couple mentions of problems when formatting on MAC machines, but all I have is a Windows 10 PC. I can't verify the suggested problem with MAC.

Last edited:
Not sure why it was looking for the server if it already had the download. But if you want to do the update with no server involved, you can do an SD card upgrade. See Attachment 31 (E90/H520 SD Card Firmware Upgrade) of the PDF document attached to Way To Fix Drones project if you want to give that a try.

You had also mentioned formatting the SD card in your PC. The card has to be formatted in FAT32 or exFAT. I've seen a couple mentions of problems when formatting on MAC machines, but all I have is a Windows 10 PC. I can't verify the suggested problem with MAC.
It is on a Windows 10 machine, and I formatted it as exFAT. I got the files, and have it hopefully doing the update right now. Will find out in about 10 minutes.

It gets done with installing the firmware, and then goes to sync mode again, and seems to want to talk to the server, probably to make sure it is up to date, or verify something, but during the update, when it links to the camera, it is disabling the WiFi, and not turning it back on when it is done updating the camera firmware, and if I turn it on manually, it closes the updater, which then starts the cycle, of needing to delete the update file off the SD card, and try again.

It has been blinking purple for a while, which I guess means it is programming. It also beeps after a couple minutes.

(edit) let it sit for 2 hours, and the camera never stopped blinking purple, so shut it down, removed the files so I can use it, and just won't worry about the update.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval