Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520E Battery Resilience

Reaction score
Is anyone else noticing how hot the connector gets after flight. It gets even worse now that we are having actual summer temperatures. We has an instance where somehow that main board fried the two or three pins on the left side (looking into the battery compartment) of the internal connector which in turn started to melt the battery side connector. I only noticed this because one day all of the sudden the drone would not power on. I tried another battery and it worked fine so I flew. I then inspected the battery and the last 2-3 pins had melting of the black portion.

Vertigo Drones did awesome and we got everything repaired and replaced so we are back at it. Maybe just a PSA to check you battery-side connector before every flight. It was really hard to tell on some of them without a magnifying glass.

This is the same report as @terrence davidson had just a week or so ago. While there are more pins (4 each) for the positive and negative leads I’m not sure there is anymore current carrying capacity than with the Dean’s connectors used in the previous H series. Both you and Terrence have had the melting on the left (negative terminals).

Reactions: chascoadmin
This is the same report as @terrence davidson had just a week or so ago. While there are more pins (4 each) for the positive and negative leads I’m not sure there is anymore current carrying capacity than with the Dean’s connectors used in the previous H series. Both you and Terrence have had the melting on the left (negative terminals).
I must have missed that one. We talked to Yuneec and it was the board not the battery but when the board went it chose which batteries it wanted to take. @terrence davidson Who did you work with on your resolution? Do you know Joe at Vertigo?

yes I do know joe at vertigo drones. been to vertigo drones headquarters twice in Webster New York. lost 5 batteries. 2 of which warped the heads of them slightly. 4 oems and the new gifi 8000mha. so far I am going to be out for the cost the batteries lost. going to have to buy replacements. but drone as been repaired and should be getting it back today.

yes I do know joe at vertigo drones. been to vertigo drones headquarters twice in Webster New York. lost 5 batteries. 2 of which warped the heads of them slightly. 4 oems and the new gifi 8000mha. so far I am going to be out for the cost the batteries lost. going to have to buy replacements. but drone as been repaired and should be getting it back today.
I lost five as well. That came with the drone ran once and then would not charge. Kept giving me an error on the dy2. The other four were because of the short. All OEM batteries. In my experience batteries have always been and issue that we really have to watch out for. The first generation batteries always got puffy what I felt like was too soon. Even the gifi did but they lasted a little longer than the oem. I don't mind being a little bit of a guinea pig but after how well this thing works I sure miss it when it's gone.

for my first gen h520 I mainly used ultra x from tattu I am also using one venom made for h520 and one gifi h480 8080mha version. only ones went bad were yuneec oem h480 batteries. oldest that are still usable with out issue is from march 2017. tattu's give me easy 15 min to 20 min per flight. gifi h480 8080 gives me 27 min venom 27 min as well. 4 yuneec first gen 520 oem are fully functional no issues at 22 min.

I am planning on retiring from age only are ultra x that are made back in 2017. I have 8 ultra x tattu's made 2019 the last batch ever made going to miss those when they wear out for 50.00 per battery they where the best flight battery investment I made at the time. next best were venom h520 before they had a falling out with yuneec. Gifi h480 is holding on strong bit more costly for there high end there low end is the same rating as ultra x and little more higher but not much than ultra x per battery.

just got 6 new battery charging leads for h520e / h3 flight batteries to replace the temp solution of modification of yuneec oem h520e charger. I have a four port charger that does up to 4.4volts per cell for yuneec oem batteries. need to get another 4 port charger so I can support 6 flight batteries at the same time properly.

I have 15 OEM batteries and fly 5- 6 hour long missions that use them all in one day. Haven’t had any issues when flying back-to-back-to-back battery swaps. I notice the drone does get hot (and I’m in Florida), but no meltdowns yet. This makes me want to stop and check before each swap however, because my missions take the drone out of visual range and I don’t want to lose it at 5,000 feet out. With the E90 flying at 390 ft elevation, I get about 22 minutes each like reported above. I charge and balance them with a Venom 4-port charger. Works great.

I lost five as well. That came with the drone ran once and then would not charge. Kept giving me an error on the dy2. The other four were because of the short. All OEM batteries. In my experience batteries have always been and issue that we really have to watch out for. The first generation batteries always got puffy what I felt like was too soon. Even the gifi did but they lasted a little longer than the oem. I don't mind being a little bit of a guinea pig but after how well this thing works I sure miss it when it's gone.
Which camera were you using?

just got 6 new battery charging leads for h520e / h3 flight batteries to replace the temp solution of modification of yuneec oem h520e charger. I have a four port charger that does up to 4.4volts per cell for yuneec oem batteries. need to get another 4 port charger so I can support 6 flight batteries at the same time properly.
Hello, I have two batteries I would like to repair the leads on from early melt down.Where did you buy your leads from? Thanks!

Hello, I have two batteries I would like to repair the leads on from early melt down.Where did you buy your leads from? Thanks!
I think Terrence was referring to adapter cables (charging leads), and not the actual contacts on the batteries. If you have batteries that experienced the melting problem they should be replaced under warranty due to a problem with design of the system. You should have gotten a notice from Yuneec USA to send in the drone to have the internal frame replaced.

Upgrade was completed but the batteries had very little flight time on them so I thought the connectors could be replaced. They give me two new ones so right now I just use the old ones for setting up and on ground testing of the camera settings.

Does anyone have any interest in 6 lightly used H520E (RTK) batteries? They are all in good condition and have always been balanced after use. They have been sitting in the box since we got rid of the RTK two months ago. I have an H3 charger as well. I will take $100/ea and $5 off each additional one, or $525 for them all. Pictures available if needed. Thanks!

Cycles Logged - 27, 24, 23, 18, 9 and 4.

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval