Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

HD 120 fps... Horrible !!!

Reaction score
After testing 4K shooting (I am very satisfied with it), I decided to try the HD at 120 fps to produce nice slowmotion, but the result is simply horrible... Do I need a special software to edit that ?

The 120fps has a rubbish resolution.I think it's just upscaled 720p. No way is it 1080p. Use 1080p 60fps instead

Reactions: Eric
I wish there was some sort of test we could do to ensure the camera was working properly.

I'm trying to figure out if I send it up and hover and just record video of the same scene in the different modes if that would be useful info.

I wish there was some sort of test we could do to ensure the camera was working properly.

I'm trying to figure out if I send it up and hover and just record video of the same scene in the different modes if that would be useful info.
Whenever you wish to test your camera, there is no need to fly the drone. Just place it on a table outside. Point it at an object at least 30 to 50 feet away. i usually prefer moving objects, like people, animals or cars. Try out the video in different resolutions and settings as well as the picture taking. Then compare everything. Flying the drone is the worst way to compare settings (far from accurate).

Looks like the scaler in the camera isn't working correctly. so that tells us a few things, that the signal chain is not optimized, that firmware is probably not correctly written and that quality control isn't exactly up to snuff since that would have been seen early in the alpha stage of development

I've had others tell me the 1080p 60 was not the right setting for the conditions I was filming in. So, I'm not sure what to do.

But I don't think a consumer oriented drone should require a course in cinematography to get a useable image.

OK, tonight I will make a same sequence in all possible resolution/fps without flying.
I MUST be able to have a correct shooting at 120 fps (many sports for me), otherwise, I will have to call yuneec.

WHO HAS A CORRECT MOVIE AT 120 FPS ???

What memory card are you using? The write speeds can affect the ability of the camera to process high bandwidth rates like 60fps.

I've not used 120 fps yet... next flight I'll give it a try.

How is that? You have some strange ideas. part of what needs to be evaluated how well the gimbal is stabilizing and how that affects the image.

To properly test the camera you need to test in the environment that you will be using it. And seriously if you want to argue about this I have over 30 years experience shooting Movies and TV (and yes that includes testing gear lots of gear) and am currently the technical chairperson for one of the Socitey's.

You really have to stop saying you have over 30 years of experience shooting Movies and TV. You do realize it is the year 2016. Do you use that statement for everything? Hey, my burger is under cooked... you do realize I have 30 years experience shooting Movies and TV!!!!

So let me say on behalf of everyone... Your experience is noted and your comments/suggestions are appreciated, but it does not provide you the platform to shoot down others comments each time they don't align with what you believe and to then justify what you say by saying " I have over 30 years of experience...". This is forum, and everyone's comments & suggestions are welcome.

Finally, to add to my post which I didn't think I had to as it was obvious. The OP wants to test a setting against another setting. One does not fly a drone to do such a thing as lighting, angle, movement will all change and the results will be invalid. You keep the platform stable in a controlled environment to do comparison tests.

What memory card are you using? The write speeds can affect the ability of the camera to process high bandwidth rates like 60fps.

I've not used 120 fps yet... next flight I'll give it a try.

Sandisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1

No reasons to have problems with that then. I find some brands are better than others, but make a point of getting good cards for video.
Very first thing I did when I received my H was to take my proven sandisk out of an older drone and put it into the H and put the supplied disk from the H into the older drone. Doing that, then, assured me that I had the best card I owned into the H

Ok, I just did a test. I recorded 20sec of footage for each quality level. The settings were natural, auto white balance, and auto exposure. I stopped and started recording between each 20secs. The 9th file down is all jagged. The rest are ok artifact-wize but I think they're washed out. That could be the natural setting. I then played around with EV and white balance settings (didn't keep track there) and a little with shutter speed. I found that the image improved significantly with positive EV and I preferred it at the higher settings.

I'd upload footage but I'm on an old Mac with iMovie. So, if someone could suggest a way for me to combine the files without affecting (or effecting, I never know what one to use) the results I'll do it. I could upload a bunch of 20 second clips as well.

I'll make a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Ok, I just did a test. I recorded 20sec of footage for each quality level. The settings were natural, auto white balance, and auto exposure. I stopped and started recording between each 20secs. The 9th file down is all jagged. The rest are ok artifact-wize but I think they're washed out. That could be the natural setting. I then played around with EV and white balance settings (didn't keep track there) and a little with shutter speed. I found that the image improved significantly with positive EV and I preferred it at the higher settings.

I'd upload footage but I'm on an old Mac with iMovie. So, if someone could suggest a way for me to combine the files without affecting (or effecting, I never know what one to use) the results I'll do it. I could upload a bunch of 20 second clips as well.

I'll make a new thread so as not to hijack this one.
I'm not really sure what you could do other than making individual clips.

In iMovie the first clip in the series dictates the resolution and FPS for all clips to follow. This is because iMovie uses a global project settings feature. Other than creating many clips with different resolutions/FPS there is not much you can do in basic editing software. If you upload one compiled video of many clips to YouTube, then YouTube as well will make it into one global resolution/FPS movie.

Reactions: NoCoOutdoorGuys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval