Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Home Arrow on ST16 screen

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm the only one whose Home Arrow on my ST16+ screen is not really pointing home? Mine is a minimum of 45 degrees off, most of the time even 90+ degrees - and always in the same direction to the left when placing the drone away from me.
I have calibrated everything but it does not fix this issue. Is it possible that the compass moved inside the drone? Or is everybody having this issue.
Werner

Last edited:
I have noticed a similar behavior on an ST10. The problem in that case was the GPS in the Controller was misinterpreting the location of the controller. It was not exactly the same as your description, but you might want to check the controller date and time to ensure they are correct, and set to update automatically. Again, a SIMILAR example, but NOT exactly the same as yours. In the ST10 case, the pointer moved around randomly.

For the green arrow to work, both the H *and* the ST-16 need to have accurate GPS acquired the H needs to have correct compass information and the ST-16 needs to be a reasonable distance away from the H (5 meters or more should probably do it). If you're standing near or under the H, then the green arrow will struggle. If the green arrow is pointing at some fixed location that *isn't* the ST-16, then the problem lies in the controller's GPS lock.

When you're flying, your finding the arrow is 'stable but wrong' - i.e. consistently pointing at the wrong location for long periods of time, or 'inconsistent' - i.e. jumping around and pointing all over the place? The first would suggest the ST-16 is having problems sending it's location, the second would suggest the compass is sending incorrect information.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one whose Home Arrow on my ST16+ screen is not really pointing home? Mine is a minim of 45 degrees off, most of the time even 90+ degrees - and always in the same direction to the left.
I have calibrated everything but it does not fix this issue. Is it possible that the compass moved inside the drone? Or is everybody having this issue.
Werner
The only way for the compass to move or be in the wrong position for the H480 is for the GPS board to be loose or mounted in the wrong orientation.

The other information from @WTFDproject and @Mrgs1 are valid and should be checked. You may want to open the ST-16 and check the antenna and its wiring for the GPS as well as the connectors for the GPS board in the controller.

Hmmm.......I must be misunderstanding what is being suggested here. The Green Arrow on the ST16 shows the direction to move the right stick to fly the H or Q back to the controller. The arrow does not point at the controller. The arrow moves as you rotate the H. When the arrow is pointed straight up, the H is pointed toward the controller. So moving the right stick up will fly the H back to home.

What ^^ he said.
The green arrow indicates the direction you move the right stick to bring the aircraft to your location. Arrow pointing straight down...move right stick straight down. Arrow pointing to the left...move right stick to the left.

In summary: move the right stick in the same direction as the arrow points to bring her home. The arrow is not indicating your position in itself, rather an indication as to what direction you should be moving your stick to bring the aircraft to your position..

Last edited:
It's not clear whether it was performing correctly before, and OP has tried to rectify with calibration? If that's the case then we need clarification. He has been a member since 2016 so I assume he's fully aware of the H functions.

Well in my case the arrow is off regardless in what direction the drone is facing. But just to have an example: If the drone is facing straight away from me - this is the way I always take off - the arrow is suppose to point 180 degrees to come home - push the stick straight down to come home. My arrow however is pointing between 220 and 280 degrees.

Well in my case the arrow is off regardless in what direction the drone is facing. But just to have an example: If the drone is facing straight away from me - this is the way I always take off - the arrow is suppose to point 180 degrees to come home - push the stick straight down to come home. My arrow however is pointing between 220 and 280 degrees.

Not certain if you mean while the drone is still on the ground. If you then take off, and fly about 100ft straight away with the drone still facing in the same direction, does the green arrow continue to point at the wrong angle?

So are you saying, you lift off and the green arrow is pointing correctly, you fly directly straight in front of you, and the arrow then doesn't correctly point back the direction the joystick should go to bring it back to you?

I have found the Arrow to be accurate only when the aircraft is at a good distance away. It's function is to help you determine the orientation of the aircraft. When the aircraft is close you don't need the arrow to determine orientation. You can see which way it's pointed.

If you doubt the accuracy, simply point the aircraft due North and fly a distance in that direction. Then check the telemetry for the heading that was recorded.

I have found the Arrow to be accurate only when the aircraft is at a good distance away. It's function is to help you determine the orientation of the aircraft. When the aircraft is close you don't need the arrow to determine orientation. You can see which way it's pointed.

If you doubt the accuracy, simply point the aircraft due North and fly a distance in that direction. Then check the telemetry for the heading that was recorded.
Usually plenty of features on the ground to get you back in an emergency, I've consulted the arrow only a few times.best to regard it as just to assist you in your flying decisions.

Ok thank you. I did take off yes when checking the arrow. I did not fly more than 5 meters away however. Have to check out with further distance when I get back in about 10 days. Thanks for all the good advice. I'm still amazed on how many of you responded. This is a great group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval