Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How Close is Close

I showed a Battalion Fire Chief how close I am able to get to an object, I chose a palm tree. It was quite windy and gust in the upper teens low 20's.
I was sure of my skills. The video is more hair raising though.
Nice detail:cool:
Pictures captured from video using GOM Player
ISO 100 Shutter at 200

View attachment 9567

View attachment 9568
where is the link to the video?

Reactions: vader
I’ve been doing a lot of wind flying lately and gotten close to a single century plant stalk but palm trees are another matter. They are actually my most reliable wind gauges here in Tucson. If the palm fronds are lifting erratically then it’s a no go.
Yes, our winds are of many extremes. I always use the palm trees as my gauge prior to flying. I'm the east side in what I call the "chute" as we always get the crazy whack monsoon cells over here as well during the season, that then get sucked over Reddington Pass.

@budwiser27 @rdonson @CraigCam
Not a great video once posted to YouTube.
So the Battalion Chief was wearing fpv goggles so he can see the details.:cool:
Wow. That is close! I need to do some testing to get used to the actual view that camera shows relative to actual position when objects are that close. There was a moment where it looked like for sure that the props would touch the fern (the one that hasn't opened yet) as you kind of went under and around it. Great flying though. :)

Reactions: AH-1G
As I looked at the video I'm surprised the rotor or arm didn't hit the fern (I'll call it "the ghastly fingers on a palm tree").:eek:
The camera can be quite deceiving, even though I was standing 40 or so feet away.
I kept my sight on the H rather than the ST16.:cool:
I could have stood under the palm tree, but I didn't want to stand out in the sun, also the Chief then would have to follow me.
The shade was much more pleasant. Hind sight, I will stand next to the object if I attempt this again.:rolleyes:

Yes, our winds are of many extremes. I always use the palm trees as my gauge prior to flying. I'm the east side in what I call the "chute" as we always get the crazy whack monsoon cells over here as well during the season, that then get sucked over Reddington Pass.

Where are you in town? Be fun maybe to meet and fly somewhere. 25+ winds today so it’s getting to be get up early if you want airtime season.

I'm on the east side (Speedway - Camino Seco area). Sound like a fun thing to do. Went flying in Reddington Pass last weekend. It was hot, but the worst were the dang gnats. Those little buggers can really annoy when trying to fly. I want to do more up on the mountains - Mt. Lemmon, Caltalina Hwy, etc.. where it's a bit cooler as well. :) Considering we broke the "ice" (100+ degrees) we can kiss spring goodbye.

I'm on the east side (Speedway - Camino Seco area). Sound like a fun thing to do. Went flying in Reddington Pass last weekend. It was hot, but the worst were the dang gnats. Those little buggers can really annoy when trying to fly. I want to do more up on the mountains - Mt. Lemmon, Caltalina Hwy, etc.. where it's a bit cooler as well. :) Considering we broke the "ice" (100+ degrees) we can kiss spring goodbye.

Please IM your number here to my CraigCam handle. I’m east side as well. I’m up on mt Lemmon Sunday for Mother’s Day and hope to find a spot. Molino basin has some good spots but too hot for there now during day.

Nearly 400 feet with a Breeze? HOW was that possible?
Oh crud, never mind... I didn't realize I had skipped somehow from the breeze Forum to the typhoon forum color me stupid... No really I'm using my phone to view this so that's probably how I did it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
howbirds