Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How DJI Became Market Leader; a Hypothesis

Pwrhaps they are referencing maximum accessory weight lifting capability? For registration purposes, weight as flown is what establishes applicability.

I've seen lots of people getting twisted up thinking they are also exempt from regulation with this drone. They are not. Just do not have to register, unless of course you put on the prop guards :eek:

Reactions: PatR
Another consideration is that being under 250 grams puts it into the lowest category of concern for flights over people. So I can see folks using this for that purpose once the rules are amended.

Another consideration is that being under 250 grams puts it into the lowest category of concern for flights over people. So I can see folks using this for that purpose once the rules are amended.
Living in the U.K. that isn't a consideration for me, since it is (currently) quite legal to fly over people here so long as you stay at least 50m above them. I understand, though, that the rules in that regard are different over in the U.S.A.

Caveat: Legal to fly over people doesn't mean you should. Good practice to avoid flying over people where possible.

I've seen lots of people getting twisted up thinking they are also exempt from regulation with this drone. They are not. Just do not have to register, unless of course you put on the prop guards :eek:
Even the optional Sticker Decal bumps it over, a pair of Cree LED's... and you know 3rd party will be quick to offer leg extensions and skin wraps. The 249g isn't very applicable, it was mainly to get press attention and a lot of discussion... equates to massive free advertising and increased sales.

Reactions: PatR
Hmm. Just got an email from dji about the Mavic mini. From £369 it says. Only under 250g so long as you've not attached anything to it including the prop guards. Up to half a hour flight time it says (where have I heard that before?).

I gotta say it, though. I'm reluctantly impressed! A fairly good machine that negates the need to register (though I'll still need to register if I want to continue flying my TH). My P2V+ looks to have had it's day: I put the sd card back in it all wrong last week and it's jammed in in such a way that it won't record video. I've yet to try a repair on it through the lack of me being able to readily put my hand on the necessary tool. But my P2V+ is old anyway and has been out of production since summer 2015. I was thinking of retiring it even before the sd card issue. Maybe the Mavic mini is just the thing to replace it with.

As a commercial operator I've always been of the opinion that operators such as myself should always have at least two aircraft available...a back up available if, for some reason, the primary aircraft is unavailable. Looks to me that the Mavic mini would fit that requirement at least in my case. I'll wait a few weeks to see feedback before I jump, though. I'm not in a rush since I don't have much in the line of commercial gigs lined up at the moment, and my web site will be closed in the not-to-distant future (I got my renewal quote recently and they hiked the price so I'll be going to another provider once my current contract has expired).

One thing I can say is that at £369 for the basic package (of course I'll get the fly more option if I jump that way) I'm seriously tempted. No, I'm not jumping the Yuneec ship. I like my H480. It does the job for me. But this Mavic mini ticks so many boxes for me if I look at it as a back-up option.
Regarding the Price and the FlyMore Price... I'm impressed, tariff in action and product is released including the RC at a price lower than the Spark introduction. IF one is buying the Mini, the FlyMore @ $100 is a given... 2 more batteries, 3 battery charger, Props, and Prop Cage for a extra $100.

Just a Razz... How does a person totally familair with their P2V+ and micro SD sockets, stick one in upside down? I think ya read about the Mini and subconsciously took your P2V+ out of commission to justify a Mini.

Just a Razz... How does a person totally familair with their P2V+ and micro SD sockets, stick one in upside down? I think ya read about the Mini and subconsciously took your P2V+ out of commission to justify a Mini.
I made the mistake of trying to insert it without my reading glasses on. It didn't go in upside down, though. It went in over the top of the thingy where it's supposed to go. However, once I've put my hand on the necessary tool it should be an easy fix.

My P2V+ has been a remarkably reliable aircraft in the past. Crashed just once that required repairs but that crash was over 4 years ago when parts were still easily available. Now I'm down to just two very old batteries for it with new batteries almost impossible to source. If I do repair it, then, it's future with me is limited to say the least.

That said, I'll be sorry to see the back of it. I used it to pass my flight evaluation test when I went for my Remote Pilot's Certificate (you need one of those to apply for a PfCO) and learned the art of flying manual with it since the GPS was/is prone to fall below that required for GPS assisted flight. But with just two 5 year old batteries still serviceable it's days are numbered however you look at it. (I have a third battery usable but it's flight time is quite short so I don't count that one).

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I made the mistake of trying to insert it without my reading glasses on. It didn't go in upside down, though. It went in over the top of the thingy where it's supposed to go. However, once I've put my hand on the necessary tool it should be an easy fix.

My P2V+ has been a remarkably reliable aircraft in the past. Crashed just once that required repairs but that crash was over 4 years ago when parts were still easily available. Now I'm down to just two very old batteries for it with new batteries almost impossible to source. If I do repair it, then, it's future with me is limited to say the least.

That said, I'll be sorry to see the back of it. I used it to pass my flight evaluation test when I went for my Remote Pilot's Certificate (you need one of those to apply for a PfCO) and learned the art of flying manual with it since the GPS was/is prone to fall below that required for GPS assisted flight. But with just two 5 year old batteries still serviceable it's days are numbered however you look at it. (I have a third battery usable but it's flight time is quite short so I don't count that one).
Yep, I'm with ya on Reading glasses... or needing the pair with Bi-Focal. Sadly even sunglasses include bi-focal.

Not to encourage, but does ebay or Phantom Forum still have parts & workable batteries roaming around?

? new platform is always fun to learn too!

Are you referring to the Phantom 2? That's still available on Amazon and batteries.

Don’t feel to bad about inserting the card wrong. I did that just once on my laptop, which was all it took to render the card reader useless. Only a moment of inattention...

Last edited:
Reactions: FlushVision
Are you referring to the Phantom 2? That's still available on Amazon and batteries.
Really?
Last time I looked on Amazon for these batteries (yes the P2 smart batteries) I didn't see any, however that was back in 2017 and haven't bothered to look since. At about the same time I managed to source one from a company called 'Battery Upgrade U.K.' (the U.K. bit is misleading since the company seems to be based somewhere other than the U.K.) and that battery lasted less than 10 power cycles before it started to go bad.

If there are P2 batteries on Amazon it is likely that they may be old...I dunno. I've managed to find the tool I need to begin the repair and will be conducting that repair sometime next week. If the repair goes well then I'll take a look at Amazon again. (but I still fancy that Mavic mini I must confess).

Don’t feel to back about inserting the card wrong. I did that just once on my laptop, which was all it took to render the card reader useless. Only a moment of inattention...
I have inserted it wrong before, just once, but I was able to get it out with my fingers that time. You'd have thought I would have learned my lesson from that time but, as you say, a moment of inattention...and a lack of reading glasses...is all it took.

Really?
Last time I looked on Amazon for these batteries (yes the P2 smart batteries) I didn't see any, however that was back in 2017 and haven't bothered to look since. At about the same time I managed to source one from a company called 'Battery Upgrade U.K.' (the U.K. bit is misleading since the company seems to be based somewhere other than the U.K.) and that battery lasted less than 10 power cycles before it started to go bad.

If there are P2 batteries on Amazon it is likely that they may be old...I dunno. I've managed to find the tool I need to begin the repair and will be conducting that repair sometime next week. If the repair goes well then I'll take a look at Amazon again. (but I still fancy that Mavic mini I must confess).
I take it is a third party one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191103-102155.png
    Screenshot_20191103-102155.png
    573.5 KB · Views: 6
I take it is a third party one?
Yes, and that picture is the correct one. I notice the price too, just short of £76. But if that's only gonna last 10 cycles like the last one from Battery Upgrade U.K. then that makes it very expensive.

Yes, and that picture is the correct one. I notice the price too, just short of £76. But if that's only gonna last 10 cycles like the last one from Battery Upgrade U.K. then that makes it very expensive.
There was one Phantom 2 in stock yesterday at £775. But that's gone now! Time to move on, its probably been hanging around in a warehouse, good chance the battery is knackered.

There was one Phantom 2 in stock yesterday at £775. But that's gone now! Time to move on, its probably been hanging around in a warehouse, good chance the battery is knackered.
Well, the P2V+ has been out of production since summer 2015 so if it's the 'plus' version then it's like 4 and a half years old. If it's the original P2, well I think that went out of production sometime in 2014 (maybe 2013 when the P2V was launched). It's possible that someone bought it for spares but who knows? The P2 range of UAV's don't have issues with the DJI GO app since it doesn't need dji Go to fly it. I think DJI GO was introduced when they launched the P3 range so if anyone is a 'must have a DJI' sort of person that wants to avoid the spyware or over-restriction on flying places then the P2 range can be appealing...that's one reason I still have mine, no dji looking over my shoulder.

My 2cents...

Firstly, I have nothing against DJI, their investment in their products has resulted in some very nice machines... on the other hand I'm not rushing out to buy one. I reserve the right to have arbitrary priorities when I buy technology, and the DJI's just don't meet my criteria :)

How did DJI succeed? Firstly, Frank Wang wants to be Apple - he follows in the mold of Steve Jobs and wants his products to reflect that. They are design led, for the consumer. Comparatively, most other drone manufacturers are engineer led (rather than design led), and that means they tend to be well spec'd, capable machines - but not uniquely desirable. Where everyone else produces products for enthusiasts, DJI produces them for the masses.

Secondly, DJI have central control of all of their marketing material. Their launches (like Apple's) are globally co-ordinated, with high end videos, adverts and promotions. Compare that with Yuneec, who expect their regional distributors to create interest in their products.

Thirdly (rumours are) that DJI has historically been incredibly aggressive in promoting its products. Paid endorsements and paid attacks on competitors products have been suggested. Not a good look, but many people will take YouTube videos and product reviews at face value.

Finally, DJI simply got the market segment(s) right - they appear to understand what the consumer wants, rather than dictating what will be delivered. It's interesting to see that with the massive success of 'high street' drones, their industrial and professional models appear to be languishing. I've heard stories of terrible support for the Matrice and Inspire.

At the end of the day, the drone manufacturers who tried to chase the 'prosumer' market suffered greatly when it turned out that there simply aren't that many professional users of drones - despite wild forecasts a few years ago. Meanwhile DJI nailed the 'iphone user' market and were rewarded with huge sales that allowed them to invest in improved design and better features.

There are other, incidental issues - DJI got early flight controllers out, and made a very successful move away from GoPro cameras (which was a challenging technical problem). Other manufacturers had some very bad luck in their collaborations and fall out from distributor problems. The dice landed well for DJI.

None of this means that DJI drones are always the best, or DJI themselves will always dominate the market. We're already seeing other manufacturers have success targeting niches that DJI doesn't care about - the trick is to design for the user, not for an imagined customer that doesn't exist.

My 2cents...

Firstly, I have nothing against DJI, their investment in their products has resulted in some very nice machines... on the other hand I'm not rushing out to buy one. I reserve the right to have arbitrary priorities when I buy technology, and the DJI's just don't meet my criteria :)

How did DJI succeed? Firstly, Frank Wang wants to be Apple - he follows in the mold of Steve Jobs and wants his products to reflect that. They are design led, for the consumer. Comparatively, most other drone manufacturers are engineer led (rather than design led), and that means they tend to be well spec'd, capable machines - but not uniquely desirable. Where everyone else produces products for enthusiasts, DJI produces them for the masses.

Secondly, DJI have central control of all of their marketing material. Their launches (like Apple's) are globally co-ordinated, with high end videos, adverts and promotions. Compare that with Yuneec, who expect their regional distributors to create interest in their products.

Thirdly (rumours are) that DJI has historically been incredibly aggressive in promoting its products. Paid endorsements and paid attacks on competitors products have been suggested. Not a good look, but many people will take YouTube videos and product reviews at face value.

Finally, DJI simply got the market segment(s) right - they appear to understand what the consumer wants, rather than dictating what will be delivered. It's interesting to see that with the massive success of 'high street' drones, their industrial and professional models appear to be languishing. I've heard stories of terrible support for the Matrice and Inspire.

At the end of the day, the drone manufacturers who tried to chase the 'prosumer' market suffered greatly when it turned out that there simply aren't that many professional users of drones - despite wild forecasts a few years ago. Meanwhile DJI nailed the 'iphone user' market and were rewarded with huge sales that allowed them to invest in improved design and better features.

There are other, incidental issues - DJI got early flight controllers out, and made a very successful move away from GoPro cameras (which was a challenging technical problem). Other manufacturers had some very bad luck in their collaborations and fall out from distributor problems. The dice landed well for DJI.

None of this means that DJI drones are always the best, or DJI themselves will always dominate the market. We're already seeing other manufacturers have success targeting niches that DJI doesn't care about - the trick is to design for the user, not for an imagined customer that doesn't exist.
Bit like political parties, do whatever is necessary to be top, whatever means, even questionable, ethical ways, tarnish your opposition, the prize is all that matters.

My 2cents...

Great write... hit a few points unknown to me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval