Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How many batts are you guys running ?

Placing a thermocouple and data logger at a motor or two would provide conclusive evidence but I believe you are correct in your assessment as long as the system was not being subjected to a constant climb or more than standard weight. If you want to spring for a data collection system, Eagle Tree is the "go to" for good equipment at a reasonable price.

A very non scientific test would be to hover for a full battery and use a temp gun to check motor temps while in the hover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 4 batteries and plan to buy Hoverfly Tethered Yuneec Typhoon H cause I need to be in the air 30-40 minutes for some assignments. I don't belive that the motors need to cool down as they are cooled by the propellers themselves during flight. Comments on that?
What does the Hoverfly weigh? I have found that the motors on my H get hotter than I would like when the air temp is 90 F or above just using standard batteries. If that system add more weight than the standard battery. you may have problems in hot weather.

I use 4 batteries and plan to buy Hoverfly Tethered Yuneec Typhoon H cause I need to be in the air 30-40 minutes for some assignments. I don't belive that the motors need to cool down as they are cooled by the propellers themselves during flight. Comments on that?
Do you think the internals would be up for 30-40 minutes of continuous flight? I'm no electrical wiz by any means but I would imagine 40 minutes would put a tremendous strain on the electrical components.. wouldn't it just get to hot?

Brother that thing is 3 thousand dollars lol, that's a lot of money for 40 minutes. I would imagine you are making awesome money with your H to justify that ..that's pretty awesome

What does the Hoverfly weigh? I have found that the motors on my H get hotter than I would like when the air temp is 90 F or above just using standard batteries. If that system add more weight than the standard battery. you may have problems in hot weather.
It's a very thin high voltage wire so the weight is quite low. The temperature in Sweden is not a problem. There is hardly over 25C / 77F here anytime of the year. But ice on the wire can be a problem :D..

It's a very thin high voltage wire so the weight is quite low. The temperature in Sweden is not a problem. There is hardly over 25C / 77F here anytime of the year. But ice on the wire can be a problem :D..
There must be other components attached to the H besides the wire. There would have to be a step down transformer and rectifier to convert to a voltage the H could use. What do these weigh?

There must be other components attached to the H besides the wire. There would have to be a step down transformer and rectifier to convert to a voltage the H could use. What do these weigh?
NO there is just a much smaller/lighter emerency battery in the H in case of power failure from the "ground power-case". I belive the drone total weight will be less than with the original battery.
Watch here:

NO there is just a much smaller/lighter emerency battery in the H in case of power failure from the "ground power-case". I belive the drone total weight will be less than with the original battery.
Watch here:
There has to be some additional components. In order to use a small wire, you must have low current, high voltage AC. This must be converted to a low voltage DC at the copter.

There has to be some additional components. In order to use a small wire, you must have low current, high voltage AC. This must be converted to a low voltage DC at the copter.
What do you think is in the huge case that stays on the ground? Putting the electronics on the craft would defeat the object of a leashed system, so they remain on the ground. Thus the craft is lighter than when loaded with a full battery.

What do you think is in the huge case that stays on the ground? Putting the electronics on the craft would defeat the object of a leashed system, so they remain on the ground. Thus the craft is lighter than when loaded with a full battery.
That's not correct. You still need to convert the voltage back down to match the 4s battery voltage and you must change it to DC. This must happen on the aircraft or you would have huge wires to conduct the high current to the aircraft.

That's not correct. You still need to convert the voltage back down to match the 4s battery voltage and you must change it to DC. This must happen on the aircraft or you would have huge wires to conduct the high current to the aircraft.
Why? You can assume a fixed voltage drop over a fixed length of wire, so AC - DC conversion and voltage regulation can take place on the ground. In any case, converting from AC to DC just requires diodes. The circuitry would be lighter weight than a battery anyway.

Why? You can assume a fixed voltage drop over a fixed length of wire, so AC - DC conversion and voltage regulation can take place on the ground. In any case, converting from AC to DC just requires diodes. The circuitry would be lighter weight than a battery anyway.
Nonsense. The wire could not handle the needed current and if you were counting on wire length to drop the voltage, there would be huge losses. Look at the size of battery wires for these multirotors. You would need two wires that size to carry the needed current at 14.8 to 16.8 volts over a short distance. For a long distance, they would have to be larger still. The conversion has to be done at the top.

Kinda gone off the rails here, from asking how many batteries we use. Please no more off-topic. Start a new thread if you wish.

I have 2 Typhoon H's, 2 stock batteries, and 5 other batteries, including an LIHV and the GiFi 7000.

Kinda gone off the rails here, from asking how many batteries we use. Please no more off-topic. Start a new thread if you wish.

I have 2 Typhoon H's, 2 stock batteries, and 5 other batteries, including an LIHV and the GiFi 7000.
how well does your 7k work?

Still need to cycle it more, but about +2 min last test. I'll post results after more tests to get repeatable times.:)

If you guys are concerned about batteries and flight time, definitely check out some balancing chargers that can cut your charge time in half. In theory you would need less batteries, but that's up to personal opinion. We got a nice custom bundle on our site if anyone wants to check it out.

I have the Hitec X1 mini. Works great

Sent from my Giant Robot Suit using Tapatalk Mech Edition

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss