Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to change lens on your H

What I saw from my friends lens was more like 87deg or a little less contrary to their advertised 90deg. (referring to the link I posted). :)

What I saw from my friends lens was more like 87deg or a little less contrary to their advertised 90deg. (referring to the link I posted). :)

If that lens is anywhere near comparable to the one Carolina Dronz/Peteau (sp?) is selling, that is a FIND!

I found what I believe to be the Chinese origin of the "Peau" lens the selling price is as low as $30 in quantity and for 1 is $100 shipped....all specs are similar except it is 3.8 mm no designated 3.9 lens seems to be manufactured over there that I could find...perhaps the 3.9 designation was to throw folks off the trail who wanted to deal directly with Chinese supplier...the 3.8mm is 16 megapixel resolution, metal with glass elements and with an IR cut filter field of view is 82 degrees. By the way to get the equivalent 35 mm camera lens value from these lenses just multiply the number by 4...so a 3.8mm M12 board lens in 35mm camera terms would be approx. a 14mm lens...a 5.4mm lens would be approx. a 22mm lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burntpixel
I found what I believe to be the Chinese origin of the "Peau" lens selling for $50 shipped....all specs are similar except it is 3.8 mm no designated 3.9 lens seems to be manufactured over there that I could find...perhaps the 3.9 designation was to throw folks off the trail who wanted to deal directly with Chinese supplier...the 3.8mm is metal with glass elements and with an IR cut filter field of view is 82 degrees. By the way to get the equivalent 35 mm camera lens value from these lenses just multiply the number by 4...so a 3.8mm M12 board lens in 35mm camera terms would be approx. a 14mm lens...a 5.4mm lens would be approx. a 22mm lens.
+1

if it is the same or equivalent to that of Peau Productions, this is not good because when the center of the image is sharp, the edges are blurred and degraded ...

Reactions: AML and Burntpixel
I have other type of lens holder in my Typhoon H.

I have been very surprised to see it.
Glue cannot be removed. It is possible to tear off a lens only.
01.jpg

There is no thread in lens holder!!!!!! Diameter of lens holder is bigger than diameter of a lens and the thread of a lens hanging in the air!!!!!!
02+.jpg

We have put other lens holder, now everything is OK.
My trust to engineers of Yuneec has promptly decreased.
03.jpg
This is mad, it seems we have at least 2 different lens boards...One with sony markings on it and one with something else...

I found what I believe to be the Chinese origin of the "Peau" lens the selling price is as low as $30 in quantity and for 1 is $100 shipped....all specs are similar except it is 3.8 mm no designated 3.9 lens seems to be manufactured over there that I could find...perhaps the 3.9 designation was to throw folks off the trail who wanted to deal directly with Chinese supplier...the 3.8mm is 16 megapixel resolution, metal with glass elements and with an IR cut filter field of view is 82 degrees. By the way to get the equivalent 35 mm camera lens value from these lenses just multiply the number by 4...so a 3.8mm M12 board lens in 35mm camera terms would be approx. a 14mm lens...a 5.4mm lens would be approx. a 22mm lens.
I've come across this autofocus 3.7 lens for a M12 out, the thing is the autofocus is inbuilt and seems to work by using a voltage regulation to shape the lens, now if someone expert in electronics could see if there was any way to wire this to the sensor board, we could maybe control focus by mapping to one of the game pad joysticks.
Varioptic - Caspian M12-316-3.7

Attachments

• MADS - 160223 - Caspian M12-316-3.7.pdf
    584.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: TopFlightTexas
It's a medical lens used in Endoscopes you would have another set of lenses infront of it.
With videoconferencing also listed as one of the applications it's designed for it would be interesting to get more information from the manufacturer.

I have other type of lens holder in my Typhoon H.

I have been very surprised to see it.
Glue cannot be removed. It is possible to tear off a lens only.
01.jpg

There is no thread in lens holder!!!!!! Diameter of lens holder is bigger than diameter of a lens and the thread of a lens hanging in the air!!!!!!
02+.jpg

We have put other lens holder, now everything is OK.
My trust to engineers of Yuneec has promptly decreased.
03.jpg

We aren't supposed to be in there obviously. It's not a matter of bad engineering rather it's an issue of cost in a consumer platform. There are people replacing that with thread mounts so obviously not all guts are equal. I'd expect it to become less serviceable then more especially when price drops. An obvious marketable upgrade would be the ability to easily swap lenses but so far that's what separates a real camera from action cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why don't you go to SanDiego and have Peau do it. As for CraigCam's comments, different strokes for different folks. I'm in Iceland now where there is no one but me to fix anything on my H so I've tried to learn as much as I can about repairs and mods so I can repair and mod in the field if I need to. I think people would be wise to do the same if they are doing this professionally and may need to do impromtu repairs in the field. I own about ten different lenses and used to swap them quite often when I used GoPros...the people designing these don't really know that much about optics and cut corners when they shouldn't sometimes...I enjoy hacking and improving them and often and you will soon see companies eventually see the handwriting on the wall.

Why don't you go to SanDiego and have Peau do it. As for CraigCam's comments, different strokes for different folks. I'm in Iceland now where there is no one but me to fix anything on my H so I've tried to learn as much as I can about repairs and mods so I can repair and mod in the field if I need to. I think people would be wise to do the same if they are doing this professionally and may need to do impromtu repairs in the field. I own about ten different lenses and used to swap them quite often when I used GoPros...the people designing these don't really know that much about optics and cut corners when they shouldn't sometimes...I enjoy hacking and improving them and often and you will soon see companies eventually see the handwriting on the wall.

I'm not in Iceland and still under warranty. Your situation is very different than most of us. I've spent a lot of time and money hacking features into stock drones only to have what I wanted show up on next model. As an owner of lots of pro audio equipment who services analog tape machines we all know glued over pots and components mean don't mess with. Just because you can access it does not mean you (and with that I mean the general public you and not anyone in particular) should mess with it. Until I see an obvious problem in post that someone else points out (not me because I'm looking for problems and could convince myself there is one that's not there to anyone else) I'm not convinced the stock lens is that horrible. This is a stepping stone to a full rig with a real camera and I can't justify spending the money to make it better when the sensor is what it is and it will never be despite lens changes a film capable digital camera.

Plus I'm seeing buyers remorse here already on some of the mods. I learned a lot with my GoPro and learning more here with this camera so when I drop the real investment I'll know what I want to own and do to recoup. I admire greatly what you are doing and documenting and happy you have the skills to mod the camera so you can get your best results. That makes sense for you but often this forum gets people in over their heads and this lens mod one keeps popping and repeating the same stuff. The solutions are still warranty killing modifications for me. You can see how it's easy for a new user to get caught up in this and perceive a problem where none may exist for them.

Last edited:
Craig I began my first response to you with "different strokes for different folks" which I believe means your quote "Your situation is very different than most of us." I'm in a position to basically do what I want when I want and I could care less about warranties if it has a bearing on the quality of the work I produce. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Craig I began my first response to you with "different strokes for different folks" which I believe means your quote "Your situation is very different than most of us." I'm in a position to basically do what I want when I want and I could care less about warranties if it has a bearing on the quality of the work I produce. HAPPY NEW YEAR

I wish I was there but not till May when I'm free to bust it open and try antenna mods and lens mods. You have the skills to do the work and I admire you doing the upgrades and reporting back. It's good to know you can push it past it's basic specs and are hopefully mostly satisfied with the improvements. Best of shooting in 2017!

For those that absolutely, positively, just have to be able to change cameras and lenses with a ready made rig, I offer a solution: Freefly. Brace yourself, entry to the pro rig market has its price, and it is not forgiving of inexperience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval