Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to Colour Correct and use LUTs for better videos

Reaction score
Here's a quick video I made showing how to do basic correction and use LUTs to produce better quality film. I'm sure the professionals will be crying into their NLEs but this helped me to improve my footage.

Feedback welcome:

Thanks guys, I might do more if people are interested, but I'm strictly an amateur.

Tuna, thanks for opening a window into another world!:)
Lightroom is a bit above my paygrade, is there a cheaper alternative that isn't too complex?

Davinci Resolve, for Color Grade, and (they say) some basic video montage features, might work as well

Hi, I am trying this but it tells me my import fails every time!
My video from my typhoon pre rs CGO3 4k is in mp4 format.
I looked at the lightworks help pages and it does not list mp4 as an accepted import format.
How are you managing to import typhoon video files to the programme??

Lightworks is fine with mp4, but 4K video from drone cameras might need converting to load. You need to start a project with a frame rate that matches the frame rate of the video you're importing.

It's also worth pointing out that the free version doesn't export higher than 1080p, and 4K editing is very hard on your pc, so unless you need 4K output, it's easier to go for 1080 :)

This page may also help:

Import and Edit MP4 Video with Lightworks - MP4 Tips and Tricks

Last edited:
Hi Tuna,

Tried matching the frame rate and also selecting auto for import, both fail.
Do you knw which camera settings are equivalent to 1080p?
I will do a quick recording while its on the living room table and give that a shot.

When you say 4K may need converting to load what exactly do you mean?

Thanks for your help

The web page I linked to links to a video converter that you can use to fix up 4K video for editing. The reason for it is that drone cameras usually record in a format that's easy to them to store, but not good for editing.

Any of the 1920x1080 video modes are 1080 (that is, they have 1080 lines of pixels).

Lightworks free version only outputs a 720 low res video file. Good program but way to expensive for me to buy.

Lightworks free version only outputs a 720 low res video file. Good program but way to expensive for me to buy.

The free version also does 1080p to Vimeo, and you can buy a one month subscription when you want to put out a good video. It's not a bad option if you want to use that sort of video editor, but you can use others of course.

The free version also does 1080p to Vimeo, and you can buy a one month subscription when you want to put out a good video. It's not a bad option if you want to use that sort of video editor, but you can use others of course.
Either way you get screwed :) Vimeo does not allow the size of my video files unless I buy the upgrade and lightworks wants money to get all the options too. :)
Like I said I like the program but you would think they could unlock a few more options. If I was making money off my videos I would have no problem buying the program but there are so many others out there that do the same thing.
Thanks for the good how to, keep up the good work.

Either way you get screwed :) Vimeo does not allow the size of my video files unless I buy the upgrade and lightworks wants money to get all the options too. :)
Like I said I like the program but you would think they could unlock a few more options. If I was making money off my videos I would have no problem buying the program but there are so many others out there that do the same thing.
Thanks for the good how to, keep up the good work.

Vimeo will allow very large files but the allowable size is determined by your membership status. If you want to upload very large files, or upload many files frequently you will have to pay for the appropriate service. Not everything in life is free, sometimes you simply need to step up to play the larger game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vimeo will allow very large files but the allowable size is determined by your membership status. If you want to upload very large files, or upload many files frequently you will have to pay for the appropriate service. Not everything in life is free, sometimes you simply need to step up to play the larger game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK

Last edited:
Hi Tuna,

On your video you use the video analysis screen to see the histograms. Daft question but how do you open that panel??

I managed to import the 4k at 30fps, just need the VA screen to 'spruce' it up a wee bit..

On the preview window, click the cogs icon on the top right of the panel, and Video Analysis is near the bottom of the menu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval