Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to keep buddies engaged and excited while you're flying?

Reaction score
I have an idea but I'd love to hear from other pilots as well.

Let's face it there's lots of fun in flying and photographing with the TH, right? But consider also, the 'other person' who traveled every mile you have to get to the spot, and now what for them?

Don't know about you guys but I'm reluctant to turn over my ST16 and say 'have at it!'

My strategy thus far has been to divide the chores. Assembly of the arms and props. Inventing and to read off a checklist (eg: ST16 on, then the TH only after the lens cover has been removed, wait for the 'ready' etc)

Another effort I make is to bring along my laptop so the 'other' can view my view via the HDMI port. Let them know the difficulty of putting on my reading glasses when in flight to read the voltage and battery bars, altitude and distance for that matter. They can also chime-in as I grow closer to my targets; or pan and tilt advice (I can always take a 2nd set based on my perception).

Even ask them for advice framing a photo as it's easier for them looking at a laptop monitor that's greater than the 5.5" of the ST16.

Any other incentives I ought to consider (short of paying them outright for their companionship)?

Let me hear any and all thoughts, lots of folks will be joining this conversation in less than a week.

Reactions: GRH
I guess I don't quite understand your situation. Are you in a situation where you rely on a someone else to get to a location you want to shoot? Or is it like you go on vacation with your SO and spend alot of time flying/shooting and they aren't into it?

For me I usually go by myself. I don't want to feel like I need to entertain someone when I'm trying to capture something. Or feel rushed. My SO is really good about it though if its part of a road trip. Sometimes she suggest places that would be interesting to film/shoot... She understands what I'm trying to do like capture a moment or something like that. Its usually scenic places and I'm usually done "shooting" before she's done exploring and enjoying the scenery.

Reactions: Timothy Smalley
Get a tiny whoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="migpilot, post: 69077, member: 6925"]Let me hear any and all thoughts, lots of folks will be joining this conversation in less than a week.[/QUOTE]

The "Other Person"? Hmm...well, since you are 94, this could be a Nurse, maybe a Minder at the Home.

But to your need for advice:
A good way to hold their interest, even undivided attention, is to Rabbit the drone directly toward them whilst yelling " Where is it? Where did it go?"

Finally, your forecast of "Lots of folks joining this conversation in less than a week". I hope your plans are not to use the poor drone for some nefarious act. I think I'll call the psychic hotline.

Reactions: Jester
As much as I would like to agree that "spectators" wont get the "thrill" from any flight as the pilot would do, I wouln't consider it as a family-friendly activity.

I've had my friend (or SO) run a handheld video camera recording the flight. Video of the drone taking off and landing can be useful if anything unexpected happens. Shooting the tiny dot flying in the distance isn't very useful. However, having a recording of the pilot's comments during the flight can be used later in the editing or troubleshooting process. I have handheld video of my friend's comments while flying his P4P backwards into a forested cliff. Most enlightening!

i have used an external monitor for a video shoot for the regisseur and his team...so they was able to tell me which move and scene they need next and which one was not the right one on the fly...in that case it was helpful...but move around to locations with all stuff you need help :)

They can all download the CGO app to their phone and log on and watch what you are seeing.

It will freeze beyond one extra connection. It's not a frikin HD network but a jinky wifi with limited bandwidth and still verdict out on what happens in real flight with obstacles and distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwight.a.atkinson