Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hurricane Relief

Reaction score
Dearest Yuneec Pilots,

The campus of Middle Tennessee State University is working on sending a group of UAS Students and Staff to NC in the wake of this incoming Hurricane. We are going to try and help with relief efforts,search and rescue, and home damage utilizing our drones. If you have any thoughts or ideas you may have that would help us, it would greatly help our cause! Thanks

We will be using a Falcon,Inspire2, HPlus and others

Reactions: mexsailor69
Dearest Yuneec Pilots,

The campus of Middle Tennessee State University is working on sending a group of UAS Students and Staff to NC in the wake of this incoming Hurricane. We are going to try and help with relief efforts,search and rescue, and home damage utilizing our drones. If you have any thoughts or ideas you may have that would help us, it would greatly help our cause! Thanks

IMG_0725.jpg

Are all of your students are 107 certified?

I would not allow anyone who does not have Part 107, to participate... it will get ugly quick if an incident occured with an unlicensed pilot... S&R is not an area where unlicensed operation will be taken lightly. You are opening up potentially huge liability issues... good intentions mean little in a courtroom.

At the very least, restrict the individuals that are not 107 holders to non-flight roles as spotters, etc...

Last edited:
You will need an FAA waiver to fly in the affected area as a TFR will most certainly be applied to the region. Plan on using your flights to construct a general map over view of the locations flown, with particular attention given to coverage of critical infrastructure. Having geo location data for the imagery is critical. SAR is of course quite important but for the most part you won't be doing much of that unless people are in plain view of your camera. Link up with the disater relief coordinators as they will be the people assigning operational areas. Have two way radios capable of communicating with the ATC facility and aircraft and area ground personnel. As mentioned, only those with a 107 certificate should be considered for flight operations. Anyone else would be operating illegally.

As much as the public laughs them off as weekend warriors... this is what much of the National Guard's mission is... I am sure that growing numbers in their ranks are UAV pilots... and the reality is the vast majority of those are in one or more DJI forums... Yuneec could change that... but based on previous company history, they wont.

Last edited:
I live in NC and as others have said don't send anyone UNLESS you have a contact at a government or state agency who has given you the green light and has provided a contact person and phone #. Just showing up simply is more people who are potentially in the way.

Dearest Yuneec Pilots,

@floridajames04
See this post
Disaster Response Pilots Needed in SC, NC and VA

Some are and some aren’t.

You don’t need a part 107 contact your local SAR in your county. Because you will be working or helping under the fire department. But not to rain on your parade, they will deploy the right personnels for this event, because civilians will not be able to properly communicate with first responders IC (incident command)

You don’t need a part 107 contact your local SAR in your county. Because you will be working or helping under the fire department. But not to rain on your parade, they will deploy the right personnels for this event, because civilians will not be able to properly communicate with first responders IC (incident command)

Making generalized statements that are inaccurate simply due to the complete lack of inter-jurisdictional collaboration on any level, as well as no federal guidelines, does not help at all... or are you saying the information below on the NC Department of Public Safety website is inaccurate? (And for the sake of transparency, I added the italics and bold font formatting.)

NC-UAS, North Carolina’s Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) Disaster Response Database provides local Emergency Managers and First Responders with a list of qualified UAS pilots that are willing to provide services to their community. Participating UAS pilots have successfully completed their FAA Part 107 qualification and are NCDOT Certified Government Operators.

NC UAS Disaster Response Pilot Database

Making generalized statements that are inaccurate simply due to the complete lack of inter-jurisdictional collaboration on any level, as well as no federal guidelines, does not help at all... or are you saying the information below on the NC Department of Public Safety website is inaccurate? (And for the sake of transparency, I added the italics and bold font formatting.)

NC UAS Disaster Response Pilot Database

I stand corrected, they have a policy in play

Making a generalized assumption, as a former first responder, I made and to be honest I did not noticed the link.

Let’s make this one clear.. Hilos will be up in the air. California Fire made a mistake by deploying civis, until they retracted to not having drones in the air due to traffic to where they are no longer able to operate.

Rdonson
STAY SAFE
Hopefully your away from the coast. I have family in Beaufort. SC and they have evacuated.
In a similar post, they are looking for drone pilots to assist in aftermath issues.
Very dangerous situations. Especially if areas get 30 inches of rain. Flooding is actually the worse part of a hurricane. The water turns toxic almost instantly, which in turn affects the atmosphere.
We can only hope things don’t get catastrophic

According to Part 107, a remote PIC is all that’s needed and because of that, non 107 Pilots will be allowed to manipulate the controls. Just an update fellas.

IMHO, I'd confirm any information with the officials in NC regarding specific duties... also have you consulted with any of the MTSU legal team regarding liability exposure/coverage?

Please understand I salute all volunteer and rescue efforts... but CYA is the new normal just as these more destructive weather systems are... stay safe.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
According to Part 107, a remote PIC is all that’s needed and because of that, non 107 Pilots will be allowed to manipulate the controls. Just an update fellas.
If there is a certified 107 PIC present then non certified pilots can fly, that's my understanding.

Reactions: floridajames04
Only if the 107 operator maintains direct oversight of the non certificated operator. The 107 operator is the Pilot in Command, similar to how it works in full scale with a flight instructor. The 107 operator cannot oversee more than one non certificated operator/one aircraft at a time. If anything goes wrong the 107 operator will be the one held responsible. The practice has its uses for temporary pilot relief and training but in a disaster relief situation it’s more or less a waste as you want the more experienced operator with hands and eyes at the controls.

I’ve received a couple of disaster team inquiries and have attended pre deployment briefings. Those that participate as part of the team aren’t out there playing for fun. When, where, and what they shoot, along with specifics detailing how they will shoot targets is very controlled. Those invited that actually deploy have to be self sufficient in supplies and equipment for a minimum of three days. That self sufficiency includes transportation; preferably 4WD or a vehicle than can reach difficult locations, vehicle fuel, food, water, electricity, emergency medical kit, and a place to sleep. You must being your own safety equipment which will include hard hat, boots, reflective vest, traffic cones, and other items. You may end up deployed to areas without oversight or security. Your insurance for both your car and aircraft will need to be up to date and the policy limit requirements are high.

Bear in mind in such situations you will be carrying items those that have been displaced may desperately need and their desperation or those having criminal intent could try and take your supplies and equipment from you. In such situations the locals don’t care about your safety or survival, only theirs.

There’s a lot more to disaster relief operations than some may consider but one thing is certain, they don’t want anyone there that was not invited and already schooled in their tactics and communications. The time for training is before a disaster, not during one.

Last edited:
So true Pat,
I was over in Huston few days after the flooding, what a skit!
You had better bring some food rations, water, sleeping bag and lots of extra clothing. Oh lots of deodorant also.
Hotels will be filled to the brim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49