Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Ingenuity

Reaction score
Preservance and Ingenuity will reach Mars orbit on February 18th. The United States will be the first country to attempt to launch a flying vehicle into the atmosphere of the Red Planet.
Perseverance and Ingenuity will assess the viability of Mars, search for biosignatures and conduct tests for the production of oxygen from the atmosphere. All this will be carried out in preparation for disembarking a person.
Would Ingenuity be suitable for use in any other extreme environment besides Martian?

I believe a lot of people said the same thing about those exploring the New World. I’m glad they did! Me thinks Europe would be a bit over crowded by now. Of course those that were/are indigenous to the Americas probably feel a bit different, like one of my great grandparents.

All of our technology we have today goes back directly or indirectly to the space industry! Yes it's worth it!!!
Unfortunately, not everyone shares your opinion. Whether it is worth it, perhaps, can be said at the end of the mission.
Recently there was a claim that the Chinese moon rover had discovered a strange monolith.
Scientists speculate that the unusual object could be debris from a crater that appeared as a result of a collision with the moon.

A rock about 1 kilometre high was discovered on the "dark side" of the moon. Exposure to wind and heat cycles on the Moon usually leads to the destruction of sharp corners and "rounding" of objects on the satellite. And the detected object has very sharp edges.

Even such a mission may not be worth the money. Depending on the results.

Reactions: Pier2162
The atmosphere of the Moon is an extremely rarefied gaseous envelope of the Moon, ten trillion times less dense (pressure at the surface of about 10 NPA) compared to the Earth's atmosphere, consisting mainly of hydrogen, helium, neon and argon. Virtually no effect on the moon.

The sources of the atmosphere are both internal processes (the release of gases from the lunar crust and volcanism) and external ones - the fall of micrometeorites, the solar wind. The moon does not hold onto itself all the gases that are emitted, since it has weak gravity; most of the gases rising from its surface are scattered in space.

The strongest solar (stellar) wind blows on the moon, which is very dangerous for astronauts from the point of view of radiation exposure. The minimum wind speed is 300 km / s with maximum values up to ~ 1500 km / s.

Are there any photos of the monolith?

Are there any photos of the monolith?
Now there are only such photos as I have attached. But they promised to send the lunar rover closer to study this object.
I think it's just a stone.
Perhaps this was simply an excuse to remind the world that they have a rover on the far side of the moon.
We live in a time when information can become a weapon, a tool for achieving certain goals, and so on.

Attachments

• moonmonolith1.png
    moonmonolith1.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 20
  • moonmonolith2.png
    moonmonolith2.png
    510.9 KB · Views: 19
If that is a monolith, that is one huge lunar rover! I would have to agree with your assessment of it being a rock.
Your explanation of wind on the moon is much more acceptable after you qualified the wind you were referring to. Those winds do take millions+ years to have an erosive effect on things.
Effects of the solar wind are more dramatically seen with the twin tails of comets. The heavier debris tail is less effected by the solar wind than the gaseous tail as the comet orbits through the inner solar system. Therefore the solar wind will whisk away what little outgassing occurs on the Moon’s surface leaving virtually no atmosphere.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
All of our technology we have today goes back directly or indirectly to the space industry! Yes it's worth it!!!
I partially agree with this. The industrial revolution and even manned flight and so much more, all happened well before the space industry was born. But I do believe history proves that a civilization that is based on intellectual curiosity and the desire to explore all aspects of life will prosper and grow. Some would look at the sea and say 'thats where dinner comes from' while others starred at that same sea and pondered what lay on the other side. Perhaps the same can be said of space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truman and Rubik
Sure hope that Ingenuity does not have to get geofencing permissions from DJI... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Rubik and Ty Pilot
(I'm not sure about the photo, it's just what was on the sites)
Perseverance has landed successfully. Although I am disappointed with the live broadcast. But maybe I was expecting too much.
This made me think that maybe people are not yet ready to explore other planets? We are happy about such things, but hardly fully understand why this is necessary.
When a space company sends meteorological satellites, satellite Internet equipment, or something similar to orbit, then we understand why this is needed and what the benefit can be.
But looking for traces of life on Mars?
Curious, but what's the use?

Reactions: JohnnyRock
Unfortunately, not everyone shares your opinion. Whether it is worth it, perhaps, can be said at the end of the mission.
Recently there was a claim that the Chinese moon rover had discovered a strange monolith.
Scientists speculate that the unusual object could be debris from a crater that appeared as a result of a collision with the moon.

A rock about 1 kilometre high was discovered on the "dark side" of the moon. Exposure to wind and heat cycles on the Moon usually leads to the destruction of sharp corners and "rounding" of objects on the satellite. And the detected object has very sharp edges.

Even such a mission may not be worth the money. Depending on the results.
I am so sick of seeing pictures of things on the moon and Mars that people think they see! UFO's are a prime example. We have fantastic cameras on everything now days. Why is is that UFO pictures are always out of focus and look like crap! What I'm saying is the space programs have created technology we can't do without today. Every mission creates something new. Not only do we learn more about other places but we are always creating more to make our lives better!

Last edited:
(I'm not sure about the photo, it's just what was on the sites)
Perseverance has landed successfully. Although I am disappointed with the live broadcast. But maybe I was expecting too much.
This made me think that maybe people are not yet ready to explore other planets? We are happy about such things, but hardly fully understand why this is necessary.
When a space company sends meteorological satellites, satellite Internet equipment, or something similar to orbit, then we understand why this is needed and what the benefit can be.
But looking for traces of life on Mars?
Curious, but what's the use?
You will see amazing videos of the landing and pictures probably next week. They are in the process of loading software on Perseverance now. The landing software has to be switched to operational software and they do that very carefully. I can't wait to see the landing videos but we have to be patient.
As far why we want to go to Mars, man has always wanted to explore. If not I guess we would never would have ventured out in ships to explore our world. The space programs have made our lives so amazing by creating new technologies to make our lives better. I am 75 years old and I have seen what it has done. It might be hard to see what an SUV size rover on Mars can do for us now but it will. There are lots of new technologies on board.
As far as finding traces of life on Mars. I would like to know if it sprang up in the oceans that were once on Mars. If it did, that means there could be life on some of the billions of planets in our galaxy!

Any news about the drone? It seems like there should be a first launch soon. This might be interesting. The flight conditions are very different. And the drone is very different from those used on Earth. But it's still interesting how it will work.

Any news about the drone? It seems like there should be a first launch soon. This might be interesting. The flight conditions are very different. And the drone is very different from those used on Earth. But it's still interesting how it will work.
I believe the drone won't fly for about a month. Keep in mind that the drone is a test vehicle and won't be like one on Earth that flies around for 30 min. In fact they are not positive it will even fly. Flights will be only about 90 seconds. It has very small solar panels to charge the battery and most of the battery's power is used to keep it warm at night.

Some articles say they weren't even sure the parachute would open.
So your opinion may be quite true.
Not all rockets take off even from Earth.
Some drones have problems here too.
And to design a drone that will work where no one has ever been ... This can be called art.

Reactions: Truman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval