Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is anyone flying a water resistant H?

I am glad you posted again Mountain Flyer. I missed your initial post! Very informative thank you.

Last edited:
What is your goal for waterproofing? Do you just wish to fly in the rain? If you are hoping to save the H if it falls in the water, that's a much bigger problem.

What is your goal for waterproofing? Do you just wish to fly in the rain? If you are hoping to save the H if it falls in the water, that's a much bigger problem.
I indeed would like the option to fly in the rain, and have some measure of protection should it fall in the water.

You have embarked upon an exercise in futility. Even the big guys bail when it rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some of the issues you will have to deal with in trying to waterproof a multirotor:
Coating the electronics works for some things, but not well for others. Radio frequency devices may be detuned by the coatings.
Some coatings like epoxy may insulate and cause electronic devices to overheat.
Devices like the barometer/altimeter need to be exposed to air so they cannot be coated. Same with ultrasonic sensors.
Motors are not bothered by the water, but the bearings will rust over time. You would need to switch to stainless steel bearings or lube them regularly with corrosionX.
Proprietary "smart" batteries are especially difficult if they have circuitry inside. You can't get to it to coat it. With dumb batteries, you can just coat the connections with dielectric grease.
The best solution I have found for quads is a completely sealed shell with a vent for the barometer.
The ESC's can be cooled with heatsinks that protrude through the shell. Gimbal electronics can be installed inside the shell. Gimbal motors can survive getting wet. You can use a waterproof camera such as a GoPro session but you will not have FPV view through the camera and no camera control from the ground.

The Typhoon H has folding arms, so sealing up the shell would be very difficult. The camera has the FPV transmitter and antenna inside the globe and needs to be cooled. If you sealed up the globe, it would overheat. The Typhoon is heavy and will sink like a rock in water. It would be possible to add conical floats below each motor with enough volume to keep it from sinking. These would affect performance and act like a pinwheel in the wind. You could add a Getterback device to help locate a sunken craft.
I have built several waterproof, floating quads using the Dex shells and I am just staring a new one. I have no fear of flying in rain with these and have survived crashing in water. I can link to some build logs and photos if you like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67