Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the 500/4k Ready To Fly Out Of The Box?

Reaction score
I got my factory new 500/4K today. The video on the included SD card states that the package is ready to fly out of the box, can I rely on that comment?

I have powered it up, but not lifted off, and everything seems to be in working order.

Is there a reliable preflight check list available somewhere for this bird?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
I would make sure that you calibrate the compass. There are youtube videos that show how it is done.
Make sure the ST10 controller shows at least 9 satellites locked and it indicates "ready"
Make sure the battery level for the q500 is at least 11.1V

Tips...
Make sure your first few flights are in a large open field so you can get used to the controls and you gain confidence.
If you take off in smart mode make sure you are at least 30ft back lift off
Learn to fly in angle mode as soon as possible so that you can fly the Q500 out of tricky situations. Also, it more fun to fly in angle mode.
If you loose track of where the nose of the Q500 is point just look at the direction of the green arrow on the ST10 display
Make sure you think about landing when the voltage is 10.8V. The ST10 will warn you at 10.7V

I'm not finding one that I like so here we go:

Install a sd card under the battery on the ST10. That is where the telemetry is stored and you must have it for any warranty claims. It's also stores the GPS record of the flight so it you lose the bird in the distance, those coordinates will help you find it later.

Batteries must be fully charged on the Q and ST10.

Install an sd card in the camera. It needs to be rated at U3 (a 3 inside of the U). 16GB is large enough to record several complete flights.

Set the Q on flat ground with no concrete, steel buildings, underground wires or overhead wires anywhere close.

Install the props until they hit the o-ring and then tighten an additional 1 to 1-1/2 turns. Don't over tighten.

Turn on the ST10, then reach under the Q and turn it on. Don't touch it again until it is fully booted. On your first flight you need to let the Q just sit, with the motors off, for 13 minutes while the GPS updates. After that it only takes a couple of minutes to get a good GPS fix.

Check all your switches on the ST10. Stay back 30' from the Q and press the arm button (Big Red). You have to be in Smart of Angle mode to start the motors. They will not start in Home. When the motors start the altitude resets to zero. Look at all the telemetry on the screen to make sure everything looks normal. If you are in Angle mode the Q status light should be purple with a white flash. In Smart mode, green with a white flash.

Start the video recording. (I record the whole flight. Too many times I forgot to hit record after getting airborne.)

Take off in full throttle up to 10-15' and let it hover. Don't baby the takeoff or it will tip over. Try left, right, back, forward and see that the Q moves as it should. If you see any problems at any time, land immediately.

Stay away from everything...........trees are not your friend. If you feel panic, let go of the sticks. If something doesn't feel right switch to home and let it land. Note: it is not going to land where it took off. It's going to land about 15' in front of the ST10 in a straight line of flight.

When landing manually, come down to about 8-12" off the ground. It might bob up and down a bit. Then press and hold Big Red until the motors stop. This is a good way to land without damaging anything. It will settle straight down and make a nice landing.

Stop the video recording.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech