Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the camera as bad as people say? Take two!

Full size as in what? How big do you think you can enlarge a still taken with a camera with a 1/2.3 sized CMOS sensor before the image degrades?
The size it enlarges to when you click on it. That's usually the actual size when attached. It's 3960 x 1486 pixels.

ETA: it also says taken with a DJI? Or maybe you used that lens profile in post?

The size it enlarges to when you click on it. That's usually the actual size when attached. It's 3960 x 1486 pixels.

ETA: it also says taken with a DJI?

ETA: it also says taken with a DJI? Or maybe you used that lens profile in post?
@ 3960X1486 I would never expect the image to hold up to anything larger than a 8X10 inch print. This is also a cropped image.

Look at this and than you can say about the quality of the CGO3+ cam

Typhoon H camera hacked.

01.jpg

02+.jpg

03.jpg

Did a comparison of the Bitrates Data wrappers, codecs and color space tonight between the DJI X3, the CGO3+ in each of its daylight modes and the GoPro Hero 4 BlackVideo codec camparisons.jpg

a few things the Yuneec frame rate will require transcoding to use in anything broadcast because its not at the correct 23.976fps and it seems that Yuneec is capping the variable bitrate to 50Mbps so no it will not go higher as some have suggested. they are also using an old codec that does have some decoding issues. The choice of format profile is also puzzling since its not optimized for 4K. It looks like one of the reasons that the exposures steps so bad is their choice in GOP frames, they are reading inter frames ever second where go pro is every half second and DJI is every 1/3rd second. Yuneec is also compressing their image more than DJI and GoPro

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
OK, the numbers mean very little because the CGO3+ uses a variable rate codec - unlike the GoPro for instance which always outputs a fixed rate, even if nothing is happening. So you can't measure the camera 'quality' that way.

The CGO3+ will output up to 50Mbs (and possibly more) if the scene has a lot of active detail - so you won't see any video artifacts due to low bit rates. It's a perfectly good quality codec.

In RAW mode, the CGO3+ doesn't apply any artifical sharpening (that's why it's raw - it's straight out of the camera, ready for you to adjust in your video editor). That means it can have a lower bitrate than the non-raw profiles which will take the same scene and sharpen it, add contrast and so on. It's actually giving you more information to use, but that suits the codec and you'll see lower bitrates.

Finally, the defaul modes of auto everything are a disaster if you want to professionally grade and edit video. Lock white balance and go to manual exposure and you're much better off.

In all cases, swinging between full sunlight and ground will challenge a camera - try to film in a consistent direction and a scene with consistent lighting.

(Oh, there's also some noise from people on here who are upset that the early claims of 100Mb/s are not what they see on their files. Those claims from Yuneec were misleading, but it doesn't stop the camera from being pretty good. I'm currently exploring how much the new firmware changes it's output)

Correct explanation Tuna.

Now, i´m in postpro working examples with several shots. Pushing the camera capabilities. I chose a scene from pre-sunset in a field of buildings. Sky and sun behind some white clouds. Very very bright up in the sky, and quite dark at the tree shadows down the street. Looking for Latitud, black blocking and super-whites that the cam can handle. All manual settings and allways selecting RAW.
Then converting the h264 original file to ProRes 422 HQ, 1:1.
Place in a FCP timeline and send to Color for detailed checks of color parades and bounderies.

HAVE TO SAY THAT THE RAW ENDS WITH A PINCH OF MAGENTA SHIFT. Corrigible easily with color channel gains and pedestals.

Have to say too, that this little cam (stock camera) makes a reasonably good work in this kind of difficult scene. The key is to target the right exposure. Having just 1 1/2 stops for mistake (dialing up or down)....then blocks blacks or blows whites in my opinion.

RAW is, in my opinion, flat enough for CC takeoff. Taking into account the limitations of the camera. Non sharppening at all. And not obvious moire or alliasing, its present but not distracting.....just under deep look i guess.

On location stuff: (the very basic to exist)
-Typhoon H
-ST-16

Next proof, i´ll build a modest "villa" with a HD monitor via ST-16 HDMI. To better judge the sweet spot exposure placement.

Keep learning...

Last edited:
What sort of Aerial Film company are you setting up? What is your target customer?

The CGO3+ is not a good camera, it's image is easily surpassed by a GoPro hero 4 black. The stock lens is low resolution and the color space of the camera is oddly tuned. The internal metering is pretty bad as is the exposure stepping. The camera gets easily confused on white balance and since Yuneecs "Raw" isn't you have some baked in color issues. In pretty much every other camera system the RAW is the largest file and here its the smallest and that's NOT a good thing.

The dual operator implementation is equally as bad. Using the Wizard is not a good way to be the camera ship pilot. You need dual ST16's . The closed source software is also a problem especially if you want to do mapping

Right now you can get a DJI Inspire 1 V1 for ~$1500 and you have the ability to grow into the X5r The X3 camera is also much better than the CGO3+ image quality wise.

But how? you're still hanging around the forum? do not waste time....... your future is in the other brand ;)

Reactions: Rayray
DerStig, do you work for dji?

Exactly. Here's a video I shot that way:

Personally I feel the differences between the DJI and Typhoon for video quality are not going to make or break your business. You need to be able to find good subjects, know how to frame and shoot them, make sure you're there at the right time of day in the right conditions and all the other things filmmakers worry about long before the quality of the camera starts to be important.

The Typhoon has some very useful team modes (make sure you get the Wizard) which opens up your choices when it comes to filming, and you may well benefit from buying some filters, but the tiny improvement you'll get from spending on a different lens won't really mean much to most people.

The bottom line is, if you really want top video quality at any expense, don't buy any machine with a small sensor and fixed lens - that rules out anything under about $3000. But the first thing you need is talent, experience and hard work - look at how many successful photographers and film makers started off with the most basic of kit.

i think as a few people have mentioned, try some filters, i recently got the pack of three filters ND 4,8 &16 and what a difference it makes. good luck

Reactions: Burntpixel
Did a comparison of the Bitrates Data wrappers, codecs and color space tonight between the DJI X3, the CGO3+ in each of its daylight modes and the GoPro Hero 4 BlackView attachment 1985

a few things the Yuneec frame rate will require transcoding to use in anything broadcast because its not at the correct 23.976fps and it seems that Yuneec is capping the variable bitrate to 50Mbps so no it will not go higher as some have suggested. they are also using an old codec that does have some decoding issues. The choice of format profile is also puzzling since its not optimized for 4K. It looks like one of the reasons that the exposures steps so bad is their choice in GOP frames, they are reading inter frames ever second where go pro is every half second and DJI is every 1/3rd second. Yuneec is also compressing their image more than DJI and GoPro

What are you doing here??

Both the Phantom 4 and the Typhoon H use variable bit rates. The P4 limits the data output to 60Mb/s in all modes, meaning that it will capture as much detail as possible before hitting this ceiling in all picture modes, including DLog.
On the other hand, the H will only reach the 50Mb/s data limit on 'Gorgeous', on other modes it is actively dumping data where it has no need to except to make smaller video files. There's no reason it can't output 50MB/s on 'RAW', the sensor is capturing a lot more than this. The processor is compressing this data further and further, this is not a good thing no matter what claims are made here.

I too am concerned with all the talk about the CGO3+ on many levels... In the end, I'm not sure it's "fair" to compare this camera to a GoPro. GoPro is in the camera business and Yuneec is in the drone business -- YES, would love to have the perfect combination... And DJI seems to be doing pretty well with their camera/drones -- And of course their Osmo. And perhaps we can criticize GoPro with their yet to come to market drone -- Wonder how good their drone will be when it comes to market?

My first drone was the DJI Phantom 2 specifically without the camera since I wanted to use my GoPro because I had faith in their background as action cam manufactures.

I probably will upgrade the lens in my CGO3+ and, at least open it up and redo the focus to make sure it is sharp.

I look forward to seeing if there are any upgraded cameras we can look to in the future that will mount on the Typhoon H with ease....

i think as a few people have mentioned, try some filters, i recently got the pack of three filters ND 4,8 &16 and what a difference it makes. good luck

I'm behind some filter kit like yours, ND16 for sure and a pola too. BCos the idea for me is try to compensate exposure against SHUTTER speed.
In Video mode we just have Iso and Shutter.....then in sun/bright scenes even keeping at ISO 100 demands 1/800 - 1/1000........AND FAR FROM CINEMATIC motion so quested.

Which brand do you bought and gradation #?

I'm behind some filter kit like yours, ND16 for sure and a pola too. BCos the idea for me is try to compensate exposure against SHUTTER speed.
In Video mode we just have Iso and Shutter.....then in sun/bright scenes even keeping at ISO 100 demands 1/800 - 1/1000........AND FAR FROM CINEMATIC motion so quested.

I bought polar Pro yuneec typhoon filter 3 pack

Polar Pro ND Neutral Density Filters for Yuneec Typhoon 4K / H - 3 Pac – Marionville Models

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ND filters are very important in bright sunny shooting situations. As has been mentioned many times, when shooting at 100 ISO and 30FPS during a very sunny time of the day,your only option to to get a correct exposure is via a higher shutter speed. Going that route does work,but makes the video look unnatural. The use of the proper ND filter will correct the need for high shutter speeds and capture video @ as close to the fixed F stop on the H camera lens. Mind you this applies to video capture as in the still photo settings increasing shutter speed corrects for the over exposure,hence not the constant need to have an ND filter in place.

The H lens has a fixed aperture of F 2.8. Shooting video as close to that F stop will result in the best video images the lens can produce. ND is your friend! :p

FREEWELL YUNEEC, CHROMA, CGO3, CGO3+ VARIABLE ND2-400, 10 IN 1

• Includes 10 in 1 function Variable ND 2-400 (Equals to 1 stop to 8 2/3 F stop )
  • Easy installation
  • Protect & suitable for Blade Chroma 4K / Typhoon Q500-4K / Typhoon H / CGO3 / CGO3+
Freewell Variable ND Filter 2-400 will let you cut the amount of light in your scene by one to eight two/three f/stops, After placing the filter on the lens, simply rotate it to dial in the correct exposure.

Shooting in bright daylight, oftentimes it can be nearly impossible to shoot wide open without blowing out your exposure. Its easy to do so though, when you have a Variable Neutral Density or Variable ND filter.

A Variable ND filter is so useful because it is variable you can adjust in different level from ND2-400 which is equal to 10 normal ND filter function.

You can also use it as a substitute for something pros call riding iris, which means adjusting the exposure while you shoot as your scene changes in brightness. To do this, you rotate the filter and smoothly adjust the exposure as the lighting changes, like when panning from a darker area to a brighter one, all the time keeping the same f/stop and the same depth of field.

Whats Included

Variable ND 2-400 1PC

Last edited:
Reactions: Burntpixel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone