Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just got Q500 4k and I am not sure if I am missing parts

Hey guys, brand new owner of a 4K. Just signed up to the forum too. I hope to get a ton of info here...

I am on my second unit as well. Both from b and h...

The first unit, bought Black Friday, was missing the neck strap and the orings on all motors. When I unboxed the bird I noticed the yellow tape securing the gimbal to the holder was torn.

I called yuneec and they sent me orings and the neck strap. While on the phone I was told to ensure I did a firmware update. During that update it failed and bird died with blue red flash on belly light. Was told to return it.

Second unit arrived today... Box had factory tape cut and retaped at center only with clear tape. Yellow gimbal tape torn too. Tweezers now missing but neck strap present. This unit only came with one gimbal to usb cable present instead of two on first unit. Uv filter was installed with plastic sticker cover installed. Another filter appears to be in a plastic bag with cleaning cloth, previous unit secondary filter came in white protector sleeve inside plastic bag with cleaner cloth.

The bird seems to be in good shape and the controller still has the screen cover plastic with no bubbles. I am concerned about the open outer box and missing items and torn tapes... Thoughts?

Before I attempt to update firmware on this new bird, I want to at least fly it once. Just in case the update dumps again...

Btw, BnH had a great deal of $1049 with a free 64gig card and free wizard wand. Not sure anything could come close.

No, the paper things cover the motor top openings and the orings. Pull the paper things off and look down the spindle of the motors.... You should see rubber orings at the base of the prop spindle shafts. They serve as a tension bumper to keep you from bottoming out the prop on the screw threads of the spindle and as an extra torque spacers to snug the props down without overtightening.

Since there is no detail as to how far to tighten the props, other than "tighten appropriately", I got the above info when I called Yuneec to get torque specs. I was told to loosely spin blades down until they stop and then 3 full turns past that. Goal is to compress the oring enough so the stored compression energy of the oring pushes the prop hub up on the threads which helps with lock down. I told them to please put that in the docs...

When you open the cover to the case the first thing you see is a black cardboard cover that covers the props; it has the package contents listed. The accessories you mentioned aren't included any more at least they weren't with mine and I also purchased from B & H. I never had any problems from them You probably saw a video from the Q500+ kit that included those accessories as they have modified the Q4k to where you don't need the tweezers.

I will have to disagree on the 3 turns after you loosely spin them down till they stop. I personally feel like that is too much and someone might take it real serious and break something. I do what you do, spin them down freely until they stop. Then I tighten about 3/4 - 1 turn. Just put your finger on one blade turn it snug but really I have not done anything past 1 complete turn. It is mostly 3/4.

Yeah I did too but that is what I was told by the person on the phone. I will be going to CES this year and will be dropping by their booths to check out the goodies they have coming out and will ask about the above for their opinion again.

Reactions: Wingshooter
I got two of those cables in my kit. I figured it was because I got the kit with aluminum case and an extra battery.
So. Did I. The complete kit with dual batteries and the Fancy case, I was missing BOTH cables among other items. I am very sure each kit includes two of those, The first two I got did!!

I am in my 2nd Q500 4K. The first one never left the box due to missing accessories to charge. That in itself was a horror show with Best Buy (search my post's to see the story).

The 2nd is unit was purchased from another vendor (because this Best Buy "Elite" member will NEVER purchase anything from Best Buy again) was complete enough to use the unit.

I purchased the "Deluxe" package with 2 batteries and case. Looking at the enclosed literature it is confusing for a new Yuneec customer. After a ton of research and talking to others on Yuneec Pilots I am not missing anything. What I have is the latest Q500, ST10+, and CG03. The documentation included with the unit and information found on line at the Yuneec site does not always reflect the latest variant. I was looking for cables I thought I was missing and I have cables for connectors that don't exist anymore.

I agree with others that Yuneec is experiencing some growing pains trying to keep up with an explosive market, design changes such as the CG03 not needing cables to use as the contacts are built in, but literature still refers to attaching the cable which is no longer needed.

A good example is the label on the package my SD card came in. It refers to material on the card that is not there.

My USB Programmer has an extension on it labeled "gimbal adapter lead" However I can't find any info on why or how to use it.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

I got two of those cables in my kit. I figured it was because I got the kit with aluminum case and an extra battery.
Both of the Q500s that I purchased both the standard drone and the deluxe package with the 2 batteries and case had those. One was already attached to the charger the other was in a zip loc bag. It is a spare balancing cable or an extension cable depending on your need. I place my batteries in a LiPo bag while charging and this extension allows me to get the whole battery in the bag and close it.

I finally broke down and got the hitech x2 and the extra balancing cable allows me to charge both batts at once.

One thing to note is that the printed material is well done and expensive. It isn't some cheap paper stuff - it's nice stock, color and die cut. Updates means that the need to throw out all the old stuff which I think is not only wasteful but may not be budgeted.

I would much rather seenno material, or some very small one page doc that links to UPDATED digital information. I think the best place to put it is in the included SD card. Here is my ask, make sure the documentation is updated on the web as soon as it is released. Meaning, if there is an difference ornchange to the design of either the bird, accessories, features or documentation, it should be noted somewhere with detailed information on what changed. You mean a changelog? SURE DO! Nothing more frustrating for a new owner off any product than getting bad documentation. It drives uneccessary calls into care, negative owner experience, etc.

It is an easy fix to publish new material andnlet people know about it. Every bird is registered so it would be easy to send out an update email to owners that there was a change to the doxcs with a link to the update. In that email provide details as to what changed and specifically call out changes by outlining what was old and what it was replaced with. This way you control fragmentation and ensure everyone has the same information.

Lastly, for goodness sake, update the training videos when you release a new version. Calling out version differences in the new videos would be great too. As in, "in this new version - blah blah - note that older versions may vary in [insert ways here]" This way people know to look for differences and if they find one that it is OK and not a defect or missing part.

Here is the thing, this time last yearn they were a company of 10, now they are a company of 113. As soon as they settle in, I think these little things that bug me, and sounds like others too, will get better.

From what I can tell, Yuneec wants to and in most cases, will do the right thing tontake care of its customer(s). This is a lot more that I can say about many companies now-a-days... Just look at the BestBuy nightmare above as an example. I applaud Yuneec for trying really hard to keep up and I hope they don't ever stop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval