Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just What I've Waited For !!!

ATC in all three airports near my house have shut down due to rural area and the amount of use they have re-classified them to Class D and E and shut down the towers. They do have AWOS and ASOS still though! So with a radio, I can track incoming flights, IF! they pilots chose to use them! Class D requires it, but E does not!

"listed as closed" is my issue, from the sectional charts, it looks to be open with a tower, the FAA app be4ufly says don't fly as well. I'm planning a trip out tomorrow to check myself.

I could be reading the sectional wrong, I only saw my first one about a month ago, lol.

I will be applying for an FAA waiver to fly regularly at low altitude at my office as it is 4.75 miles from the airport. And I would like to test new firmware, features and camera settings from the office.
Does it have a * star next to KHOT, if so, it is a Temporary Tower, and they can be open any hours they want! or even be "closed" till FAA reclassifies it!

Reactions: mwfoshee
Well there should be a local atc in charge of that area you can call.

Bill W.
I have talked to all three facilities, that's how I into contact with the guys at lifenet and angel one, everyone gave me permission to fly. The helicopter guys are realistically my biggest concern, they have flown over my office before.

As part of my waiver I was gonna volunteer to notify the air ambulance guys as well as the others and possible monitor the appropriate frequencies while in the air.

In addition to self imposed height and distance restrictions

Reactions: DroneClone
Mickey, I could not film a house near Houston for a real estate company, nice house! because they were two miles from a Class C airport. Got the waiver, went to fly and it did, but not over 30 feet high, house was a two story 65 feet from AGL to "A" frame of roof.
Glad I had my P4 with me, cause it has no restrictions on it! One thing I am steering away from Yuneec for in commercial work near airports! I can't even map a farm crop with the H to get up to a minimum of 100" for the mapping software! So In areas near airports, It's back yo DJI
Very sad responsible people like you are punished for all the morons who were flying around airports without purpose or knowledge of the regs. I hope as you've said that those sorts of situations can be remedied soon.

Very sad responsible people like you are punished for all the morons who were flying around airports without purpose or knowledge of the regs. I hope as you've said that those sorts of situations can be remedied soon.
Honestly it shouldn't matter. Once yuneec sells the drone...they are no longer responsible. Yuneec has no right to tell us how to fly. Only the faa can do that. Thats like a GM building the corvette and restricring it to 65 mph and restricting its acceleration capabilities.

Bill W.

Honestly it shouldn't matter. Once yuneec sells the drone...they are no longer responsible. Yuneec has no right to tell us how to fly. Only the faa can do that. Thats like a GM building the corvette and restricring it to 65 mph and restricting its acceleration capabilities.

Bill W.
Amen!;)

And as long as we call atc or the tower and inform them...we are supposed to be able to fly.

Bill W.

Actually, that's not entirely true. If flying commercially and planning to fly in many locations you need to apply for a CoA/waiver directly with the FAA. The local ATC authority is not the point of contact. If planning to fly inside of an airport's controlled airspace, or Class E airspace abutting/underlying the controlled airspace you must first have permission, not simply advise the tower of your intent.

airnav.com is a pretty good place to get contact information for a specific airport. If airport has no control tower, Does 107 allow you to use a radio tuned to local CTAF frequency and monitor during flight???

airnav.com is a pretty good place to get contact information for a specific airport. If airport has no control tower, Does 107 allow you to use a radio tuned to local CTAF frequency and monitor during flight???
Non controlled airports are class E airspace, which requires approval. Since no tower you would have to apply for coa at least 90 days before you fly.

What if you turn GPS off, how is it going to know where it is?
Yuneec has a "little: man inside the H with a B4UFly app on his phone, and if he see's your inside the Yellow circle, he throws a switch off! LOL ! :rolleyes: Called a programmable icu chip ! Could be on a GPS of it's own that's not for flight capabilities, but specifically for location ? Interesting question!

Last edited:
Local airport or owner/manager of that airport. Or if the E airspace overlaps a adjacent Class B,C or D airspace the ATC or soon to be Email of the new FAA web request clearance site!

Reactions: BillyTexas
Forgive my ignorance, but can't class E be middle of nowhere over 1200 feet, (say I have a 1500 foot tower to inspect)
Yes, but you can't fly above 400AGL, unless you get a COA to inspect the tower, then you can fly up to 1500, but believe me , you will not even see your sUAS after 600 feet up and how will you navigate around the tower with out visual LOS around it and the camera will not give you good distance and bearing perspective! You can fly 400' over a building that is 600" tall = 1000 AGL with a 107

Yes, but you can't fly above 400AGL, unless you get a COA to inspect the tower, then you can fly up to 1500, but believe me , you will not even see your sUAS after 600 feet up and how will you navigate around the tower with out visual LOS around it and the camera will not give you good distance and bearing perspective! You can fly 400' over a building that is 600" tall = 1000 AGL with a 107
DC.. U don't need a coa to inspect tower. U can fly 400' above the tower agl, within 400' of it.

You can get a los waiver with a 107 but still have to have a spotter. Still would be difficult to fly a tower that tall.

Bill W.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1