Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Kind of disappointed with the range on my Typhoon H

Reaction score
I picked up my new H a few days ago and I flew it twice before the third time today. The first two flights I just buzzed around an empty field near my house with the bird maybe being I'd say tops 700ft in distance. It flew fine and I was pretty happy with the initial flight(s). I then ordered and received my FPVLR kit thinking this would easily give me 75% to 100% increase in the factory range of the H.

So today I decided to fly the bird farther than before. I was probably around 1800ft (in distance) away from my bird and that's when the video began to stutter. I started to get nervous because I couldn't see the bird in that distance. I still had some video so I could see in which direction the bird was pointed in. So I pushed the stick forward in hopes that once it got closer to me I would regain full video. Thankfully that worked and everything was fine. I was flying near some power lines but I wouldn't think that would affect my video range that drastically.

Supposedly these birds are suppose to fly up to 1 mile which is like 5000 feet. I'm wondering how the heck this can be done when my video began to get choppy at around 1800ft. I was thinking I should easily be able to do around 3000 to 4000 feet especially since I upgraded my ST16 with the FPVLR setup. I know the H isn't suppose to have the same range as the modern day Phantoms but come on. Surely they can at least handle more than half of what Yuneec advertises?

You do realize the FPVLR doesn't seat properly on the connectors right? That's why they are loose. Remove the washer under the nut and see if it tightens up properly.

I picked up my new H a few days ago and I flew it twice before the third time today. The first two flights I just buzzed around an empty field near my house with the bird maybe being I'd say tops 700ft in distance. It flew fine and I was pretty happy with the initial flight(s). I then ordered and received my FPVLR kit thinking this would easily give me 75% to 100% increase in the factory range of the H.

So today I decided to fly the bird farther than before. I was probably around 1800ft (in distance) away from my bird and that's when the video began to stutter. I started to get nervous because I couldn't see the bird in that distance. I still had some video so I could see in which direction the bird was pointed in. So I pushed the stick forward in hopes that once it got closer to me I would regain full video. Thankfully that worked and everything was fine. I was flying near some power lines but I wouldn't think that would affect my video range that drastically.

Supposedly these birds are suppose to fly up to 1 mile which is like 5000 feet. I'm wondering how the heck this can be done when my video began to get choppy at around 1800ft. I was thinking I should easily be able to do around 3000 to 4000 feet especially since I upgraded my ST16 with the FPVLR setup. I know the H isn't suppose to have the same range as the modern day Phantoms but come on. Surely they can at least handle more than half of what Yuneec advertises?
Should have bought a DBS, Here we go agaiiinnn ! Why spend money, good money on a FPVLR and have to remove this, and shrink wrap to it to make it stronger!? It should come to fit and come to work with no tweaking!;)

If you lose video and don't know the orientation of the bird, then you have to hit RTH or use the green arrow. If the green arrow is point up, then the camera is pointed at you. Right stick forward will fly it to you. Basically, to bring the bird home in any orientation, push the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing to bring it home.
If you aren't happy with the FPVLR antennas, you should contact the seller to discuss the problem. The video signal depends on line of sight and an area free of interference to get the best signal. Wifi congested areas generally will have a shorter range and overhead electric lines can also interfere.

Should have bought a DBS, Here we go agaiiinnn ! Why spend money, good money on a FPVLR and have to remove this, and shrink wrap to it to make it stronger!? It should come to fit and come to work with no tweaking!;)

Nope, I'm not buying in to that because the general opinion is the FPVLR setup is supposed to be better than the DBS route.

If you lose video and don't know the orientation of the bird, then you have to hit RTH or use the green arrow. If the green arrow is point up, then the camera is pointed at you. Right stick forward will fly it to you. Basically, to bring the bird home in any orientation, push the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing to bring it home.
If you aren't happy with the FPVLR antennas, you should contact the seller to discuss the problem. The video signal depends on line of sight and an area free of interference to get the best signal. Wifi congested areas generally will have a shorter range and overhead electric lines can also interfere.
Or just flip it to Smart Mode and the stick direction is the direction it will fly! Stick back(down) will bring it home!

Nope, I'm not buying in to that because the general opinion is the FPVLR setup is supposed to be better than the DBS route.
Who's general opinion? I have seen no valid side by side tests done on them! But I have done them and know which works best! So not asking you to buy into anything! stay with your flimsy product and low range and enjoy!:)

What altitude were you flying at? From what I understand the bird needs to fly higher to get better signal. The antenna is also directional so it needs to be pointed at the bird. Perhaps your aim was off or not flying high enough for unobstructed line of sight? I find that reception is stronger the higher you go up especially if you're in an open field that's surrounded by trees and homes.

What altitude were you flying at? From what I understand the bird needs to fly higher to get better signal. The antenna is also directional so it needs to be pointed at the bird. Perhaps your aim was off or not flying high enough for unobstructed line of sight? I find that reception is stronger the higher you go up especially if you're in an open field that's surrounded by trees and homes.

I can't be for sure but I would guess maybe 150ft in the air.

**** I got 2200 feet at 150 feet high with my stock antenna and it was in a wifi congested and big *** power towers and trees in the way. I know if I had climbed higher i could have went longer out there. But it was only my 3rd flight so I chickened out.

You got the USA version, or the Euro version?

**** I got 2200 feet at 150 feet high with my stock antenna and it was in a wifi congested and big *** power towers and trees in the way. I know if I had climbed higher i could have went longer out there. But it was only my 3rd flight so I chickened out.

You got the USA version, or the Euro version?

I assume I have the USA version since I bought the drone from Best Buy. I can't comment on using the stock antennas on long distance flight because I only used the stock ones on my first two flights that didn't include any far distance. I figured I should go ahead and buy the aftermarket ones and increase my range. I don't really know that happened unless I do a similar flight with the stock antennas.

So are you pointing the antennas/controller at the H? I didn't see an answer to that question. With any of the aftermarket antennas mentioned, direction is a factor. I have the FPVLR, haven't "tweaked" them a bit, and have seen 3200' while standing next to giant microwave tower, power lines, bla bla bla. I've only lost telemetry once with this setup. Probably because I wasn't pointed at the H. I have yet to exceed range with the FPVLR. 3200' is more that I need anyway. I can't see the **** thing beyond that. Occasionally, I do get a camera jitter or two when beyond 2000'. However, it doesn't hinder my flight. I will tell you that in my opinion, that Yuneec's 5,000ft range claim is unobtainable over land, and probably over water as well (at least in the US). With the stock setup, I couldn't get beyond 750' without the severe camera chop and drop. I have yet to see a US customer claim anywhere close to 5000ft with the stock antennas. Most were doing good to get over 1200ft (I never did).

Above is my personal experience. I'm not going to fuel the argument over which antenna is better. There are probably thousands of posts on this forum debating that (half of them belong to DC! ;)!). As you can see, he REALLY, REALLY, REALLY (yeah, that's 3) likes his DBS setup! As he should, its a great range extender as well.. Had I bought the DBS, I have no doubt that it would have done well for me too.

Anyway, try flying in different areas to see if you don't get more range, environment can be a factor as well.

So are you pointing the antennas/controller at the H? I didn't see an answer to that question. With any of the aftermarket antennas mentioned, direction is a factor. I have the FPVLR, haven't "tweaked" them a bit, and have seen 3200' while standing next to giant microwave tower, power lines, bla bla bla. I've only lost telemetry once with this setup. Probably because I wasn't pointed at the H. I have yet to exceed range with the FPVLR. 3200' is more that I need anyway. I can't see the **** thing beyond that. Occasionally, I do get a camera jitter or two when beyond 2000'. However, it doesn't hinder my flight. I will tell you that in my opinion, that Yuneec's 5,000ft range claim is unobtainable over land, and probably over water as well (at least in the US). With the stock setup, I couldn't get beyond 750' without the severe camera chop and drop. I have yet to see a US customer claim anywhere close to 5000ft with the stock antennas. Most were doing good to get over 1200ft (I never did).

Above is my personal experience. I'm not going to fuel the argument over which antenna is better. There are probably thousands of posts on this forum debating that (half of them belong to DC! ;)!). As you can see, he REALLY, REALLY, REALLY (yeah, that's 3) likes his DBS setup! As he should, its a great range extender as well.. Had I bought the DBS, I have no doubt that it would have done well for me too.

Anyway, try flying in different areas to see if you don't get more range, environment can be a factor as well.

How high were you when u reached 3200ft? Yes, I was pointing my controller in the same direction of the H.

Thank you Typhooned! ;) Not debating it at all, just responding to all REALLY,REALLY,REALLY(yeah, that's 3) tiresome complaints that the FPVLR cable is weak, the connectors are loose, I only get 2800 feet, on and on and on!(that's 3 times too!) I get over 2800 feet with stock antennas, with no chop and almost triple with my DBS! I am not selling the DBS's to any of you!, Just giving my experience and if the fact the above even titled his thread: "disappointed with my range" then move on to try something better.:rolleyes:

Reactions: BFD400
Thank you Typhooned! ;) Not debating it at all, just responding to all REALLY,REALLY,REALLY(yeah, that's 3) tiresome complaints that the FPVLR cable is weak, the connectors are loose, I only get 2800 feet, on and on and on!(that's 3 times too!) I get over 2800 feet with stock antennas, with no chop and almost triple with my DBS! I am not selling the DBS's to any of you!, Just giving my experience and if the fact the above even titled his thread: "disappointed with my range" then move on to try something better.:rolleyes:

"disappointed with my range" is something EVERYONE of us (with an H) have experienced. Otherwise we wouldn't have bought the aftermarket antennae in the 1st place. Maybe we should all be giving Yuneec a hard time instead of buying antennas! :D

This whole debate is classic Chevy vs Ford.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval