Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing problem

Good results then, location can make a big difference, one area to tick off visiting again, goodluck.
Lol yeah but it's my own backyard maybe after the farmer cuts the corn it will change and maybe I'll find my q500 that dropped out of the sky month ago ??

Lol yeah but it's my own backyard maybe after the farmer cuts the corn it will change and maybe I'll find my q500 that dropped out of the sky month ago ??
Your very own Roswell incident with parts scattered everywhere, except it's a drone not a weather balloon, or was it a UFO?

Your very own Roswell incident with parts scattered everywhere, except it's a drone not a weather balloon, or was it a UFO?
Lmao right on I don't think a cowl will like the taste of that.. I did tell the farmer about it so maybe I'll have some luck. But then again he just chewed his chow and spit at my feet and walked away .. Do you think that is a sigh of being mad or just a way of sayin I got your back buddy

Great to hear it flies and lands nicely elsewhere, should help remove the platform from the possible problem; at least reduce until you verify repeatable.

You’ve got a pretty good sized back yard, have you tried alternate locations in yard? Do you notice any electrical ground boxes around property line that look like they run through yard.

I’d try a different area, see if any difference. Once up away from ground did it hover or fly ok... as in the aerial photo you took of yard, did it hover stable at altitude? Take it around your yard, bring it down “here & there” testing stability.

Farmer & chew, equates spit... walks away; he’s already seen remains or not his concern... now his cows in your yard will be his concern... might get a smile then!

You are experiencing reflected GPS signals. I get the same type of thing at my Michigan home that has a lot of large trees around it. See if you get the same thing in a more open area.
I had a problem with GPS a few weeks ago when attempting a job at a church with my P2V+. The aircraft was all over the place and flying with GPS off wasn't an option since there was a gusty breeze and stained glass windows just waiting to be crashed into...so I aborted the mission. Fast forward to the other day when I re-attempted the mission this time using my TH. The TH was still unsteady but flying much better than my P2V+ did a few weeks ago, so I was able to complete the mission. However, when I flew away from the church to get some video of the surrounding area the TH became rock steady. Clearly, then, the church was reflecting GPS.

To the OP, then. GPS reflection could be an issue. I've seen the picture of where you live and in my experience I wouldn't have thought that there is much around you to affect GPS...but I think that your problem could just as easily be to do with the compass, but then again, I see nothing much that could effect the compass either. I would see that area as a pretty good area to fly in.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I had a problem with GPS a few weeks ago when attempting a job at a church with my P2V+. The aircraft was all over the place and flying with GPS off wasn't an option since there was a gusty breeze and stained glass windows just waiting to be crashed into...so I aborted the mission. Fast forward to the other day when I re-attempted the mission this time using my TH. The TH was still unsteady but flying much better than my P2V+ did a few weeks ago, so I was able to complete the mission. However, when I flew away from the church to get some video of the surrounding area the TH became rock steady. Clearly, then, the church was reflecting GPS.

To the OP, then. GPS reflection could be an issue. I've seen the picture of where you live and in my experience I wouldn't have thought that there is much around you to affect GPS...but I think that your problem could just as easily be to do with the compass, but then again, I see nothing much that could effect the compass either. I would see that area as a pretty good area to fly in.
God works in mysterious ways!

• Haha
Reactions: RatBob
There is an article I've posted several times how pine needles will absorb r.f. signals

Absorption
Absorption describes how objects absorb a radio signal. When a radio wave strikes materials, it can be absorbed. Buildings, trees, or hills can absorb RF.
Note:
Organic materials tend to absorb more RF signal than inorganic materials. Pine needles are noted for, absorbing a great deal of RF emissions because their needle length is close to 'LA wavelength of cellular signals. Phasing of RF signals in the 800-MHz range lends itself to being absorbed by pine needles because the length of the pine needle is equivalent to 'LA wavelength in the 800-MHz range.
I was curious about this pine tree absorption thing. I looked up another article on the subject. Here's what was said:
"It has been found that when the length of pine needles reaches approx 6’ - half wavelength at 800 MHz, a great deal of energy can be absorbed by pine trees." (from
Adverse Impacts of Forestation on RF Energy Propagation ‘An Experimental Approach’ by Ved Vyas Dwivedi et al).

But for our 5.8 GHz signal, the wavelength and half-wavelength are about 2" and 1" respectively. At 2.4 GHz, wavelength and half wavelength are about 5" and 2.5" respectively. That covers a lot of evergreen trees with needles shorter than pine tree needles.

Soooo, stay away from trees, especially evergreen trees!

I was curious about this pine tree absorption thing. I looked up another article on the subject. Here's what was said:
"It has been found that when the length of pine needles reaches approx 6’ - half wavelength at 800 MHz, a great deal of energy can be absorbed by pine trees." (from
Adverse Impacts of Forestation on RF Energy Propagation ‘An Experimental Approach’ by Ved Vyas Dwivedi et al).

But for our 5.8 GHz signal, the wavelength and half-wavelength are about 2" and 1" respectively. At 2.4 GHz, wavelength and half wavelength are about 5" and 2.5" respectively. That covers a lot of evergreen trees with needles shorter than pine tree needles.

Soooo, stay away from trees, especially evergreen trees!
Wow. Thanks for the info .I have five pine trees with in 75' crossed and 3 of them are right on top of each other so that explains a lot ill have to declair my yard as a no fly zone. The will be The Emmitsburge Triangle

Wow. Thanks for the info .I have five pine trees with in 75' crossed and 3 of them are right on top of each other so that explains a lot ill have to declair my yard as a no fly zone. The will be The Emmitsburge Triangle
This isn't set in stone. Just one of the possibilities, there can be lots of things which can influence it's behavior, just exercise caution if any strange behavior occurs, and check everything out, one cause for one isn't a one cap fits all.

This isn't set in stone. Just one of the possibilities, there can be lots of things which can influence it's behavior, just exercise caution if any strange behavior occurs, and check everything out, one cause for one isn't a one cap fits all.
Yeah but it doesn't happen anywhere else but here and it's every time I fly here so it might be the problem alls I know is I can't fly here without catching it in mid air

I’d agree with the yard looking acceptable to fly... and signal.

I have 7... 2 groups of evergreens in yard along with several Oak & Maple, and neighbors have several more evergreens producing a much tighter space than your yard.

Any neighbors have drones to compare? I’d get a few others to try your yard... any brand / model to see how it compares.

Yard just doesn't appear to be a signal sponge or reflector problem compared to other for forest thick environments that several have flown without issues.

Yeah but it doesn't happen anywhere else but here and it's every time I fly here so it might be the problem alls I know is I can't fly here without catching it in mid air
Have you moved to different area in yard?
Same on driveway, Ft Yard, opposite corner of back yard?

I've flown this area many times, it's quite thickly wooded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190720-215015~2.png
    Screenshot_20190720-215015~2.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190720-215002~2.png
    Screenshot_20190720-215002~2.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190720-214931~2.png
    Screenshot_20190720-214931~2.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
I’d still like to see a video of the aircraft doing it’s orbit close to the ground, hands on and hands off the sticks.

There are a while lot of people that expect their drones to be perfectly stationary except for reducing their altitude during a landing. There are even more that don’t realize how little their fingers need to move to make a landing a bad one.

I’d still like to see a video of the aircraft doing it’s orbit close to the ground, hands on and hands off the sticks.

There are a while lot of people that expect their drones to be perfectly stationary except for reducing their altitude during a landing. There are even more that don’t realize how little their fingers need to move to make a landing a bad one.
I know that's right.. I've pretty much have it down I just take my time if it go's left I go right just a smidge and so on I'm use to it now but anywhere else It fly's fantastic.. no toilet bowl affect??

Do you know anyone with a metal detector that could scan your yard? I suspect there could be items from Civil War times buried in your yard.

I’ve seen this type of behavior when in an area with heavily reinforced concrete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parisaline