Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing /Take off pad ideas?

Reaction score
.... that keeps the H and the camera clean.... that's portable and is cost effective?
Thanks!

image.jpeg I have pottered around with a few experimental ideas.

Still working on trying to find the best solution.

Meanwhile I am using my latest contraption to good effect.

The holes help reduce blade wash and being raised keeps dust out of the motors.

Made it from 4' X 4' peg board on a wood frame and attached a piano hinge and fold down legs.

Can fold up and carry as well as fitting between the wheel arches in the back of my escape.

I looked at the hoodman mat but at $129...so I went to my auto parts store and got a rubber mat that's heavy enough not to be blown away by the prop wash $25.99. I just cut it into a 5'X5' square and it rolls up for easy transport and storage.

I did try a mat initially, 5' X 3', which cost about $14 from Wally World.

It certainly reduced the clouds being thrown up but didn't help much with the bounce.

That is where the holes come i to their own.

View attachment 1176 I have pottered around with a few experimental ideas.

Still working on trying to find the best solution.

Meanwhile I am using my latest contraption to good effect.

The holes help reduce blade wash and being raised keeps dust out of the motors.

Made it from 4' X 4' peg board on a wood frame and attached a piano hinge and fold down legs.

Can fold up and carry as well as fitting between the wheel arches in the back of my escape.
All this needs is a bubble level in the center and something to adjust the legs (shims would be inexpensive) to make it level.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Reactions: Brandon B
If you invert roll it and that might keep the lift out of it, It seems heavy enough to flatten out if invert rolled!, But at $69, I just use grass or a piece of rolled rubber mat at dirt/sand locations. It is 4'x4' and that is plenty big to not get lifted by the vortex at take off or landing !

Reactions: Brandon B
I often fly off of sand or gravel and deep grass or tall weeds.
Using an expanded metal table top mounted on a camera tripod with levels allows me to adapt to about any terrain.
The top allows air flow down and greatly reduces the bounce on the Q500 4K.
The Typhoon H does not seem to have the bounce, so far.

I added some longer pieces to the lower landing gear of the Q500 as I often had it tip forward upon landing destroying props.
Unlike my Blade 350QX, the OFF button on the Yuneecs has a delay and I have to activate it just before touchdown to prevent this.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 96
I like that Hunter. Very sturdy and the mesh will allow the air to go thru. Little to no bounce.

A cheap yoga mat bought at five below for $5 works well for me. Easy to carry and store and you can cut it in half so you have two or make a bigger landing area

I often fly off of sand or gravel and deep grass or tall weeds.
Using an expanded metal table top mounted on a camera tripod with levels allows me to adapt to about any terrain.
The top allows air flow down and greatly reduces the bounce on the Q500 4K.
The Typhoon H does not seem to have the bounce, so far.

I added some longer pieces to the lower landing gear of the Q500 as I often had it tip forward upon landing destroying props.
Unlike my Blade 350QX, the OFF button on the Yuneecs has a delay and I have to activate it just before touchdown to prevent this.

um a metal landing pad is a bad idea. metals can cause magnetic interference with the compass.

Reactions: DroneClone
I intend to use a fordable reflector that I use for film making. I have a few of these and they are nice.

They collapse and fold up in a nice small package, easy to carry, and expand to a nice large area that you can actually land back down on. They even come with their own small zippered case.
They fold down into a circle about 1/4 of the expanded size.

It does not just lay on the ground like a piece of cloth, they have a metal ring that expands out when you unfold it and it keeps it taut. It is heavy enough that it should not blow away unless it is a really good gust that would get under it.

You can also choose what color is on top, white, black, silver or gold. i:)i

They come in various sizes and they are CHEAP!

31 inch one is only $13. They also come in 24" if you want.
Amazon.com : Valufoto 31" inch 5 in 1 Portable Photography Foldable Light Reflector : Camera & Photo

43 inch is only $16.
Amazon.com : Lightdow 110CM 43 Inch 5-in-1 Portable Foldable Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector Kit For Studio & Outdoor Lighting : Camera & Photo

This is the one I actually have. 43" and cost me $13 4 years ago.
Amazon.com : Neewer 43-inch / 110cm 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector with Bag - Translucent, Silver, Gold, White and Black : Photographic Lighting Reflectors : Camera & Photo

43" fits the H perfectly. They even make oval ones if you prefer that. Just search Amazon for light reflector.

You cannot beat it guys!

Here it is sitting on the folded up carrying case to give you an idea how nice it is to carry.
It is small enough folded that you could even place it in the lid of a carrying case or even in it.
20160618_164948.jpg

Here it is on the actual pad with the white side facing up.
20160618_165046.jpg
Down shot more or less. It was very sunny and I could not see what the camera was capturing so not as good pics as I would normally do framed wise. i:)i
20160618_165110.jpg

I am even buying another one just for the H and am going to put a nice big red "H" on it. i:)i

Last edited:
That would be great. Do you worry about the enclosed metal ring interfering in any way?

um a metal landing pad is a bad idea. metals can cause magnetic interference with the compass.
Or if the refective surface effects the signal at all , like a windsurfer antenna? Just be very careful if it is light at all! the vortex on take off/land can lift pretty heavy stuff, right up into the props and cause havoc on you motors/props !:(

Reactions: VortexRing
That would be great. Do you worry about the enclosed metal ring interfering in any way?

Naaaa, not at all! It is enclosed within the fabric, doubt it would affect anything at all. It is not a lot of metal, just a thin ring around the edge and just enough to keep it expanded.

I am telling you these are perfect because they fold up and are portable. I added pictures above.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval