Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing /Take off pad ideas?

Have you physically lifted off on these? as the small one will definitely get sucked up into the blades at take of if not weighted down! I have had heavier looking ones than those do it! Not belittling it, just don't want you or anyone to experience a blanket party !

Have you physically lifted off on these? as the small one will definitely get sucked up into the blades at take of if not weighted down! I have had heavier looking ones than those do it! Not belittling it, just don't want you or anyone to experience a blanket party !

I have not, I will verify it for you, I am open minded, but I am telling you it is just too large a circle and heavy to get lifted. The 43" one is, I cannot say what the smaller ones would do. I will be shocked if it did that.

No way it could get sucked up. Worse case it may slide a bit but I doubt it would even do that, too large a surface.

Also remember the H is pushing down to lift off so it won't suck into it but the opposite.

Again it is NOT just a cloth circle laying there, it has a center piece that is a metal ring with white cloth on both sides then it has a large sleeve around that. That sleeve zips around that and has gold and white on one side and if you turn it inside out it has silver and black.

Worse case just take a large head nail and push that into the grass right next to it with half the nail head on the ring. 3 of those would hold it.

Last edited:
Naaaa, not at all! It is enclosed within the fabric, doubt it would affect anything at all. It is not a lot of metal, just a thin ring around the edge and just enough to keep it expanded.

I am telling you these are perfect because they fold up and are portable. I added pictures above.

I just purchased the one you have, 18 bucks seems just right...I think this is going to work perfectly for taking off from grass or sand. Thanks for the tip!

I just purchased the one you have, 18 bucks seems just right...I think this is going to work perfectly for taking off from grass or sand. Thanks for the tip!

Cool, let me know how it works for you. I have not actually used mine yet but I see no reason that it would not work for this. I am getting another one to use just for the H since I don't want to get the main one dirty, I have two I use for filming.

BTW they can be tricky to fold back up at first until you figure out how to do it. There are Youtube videos to help you. Once you figure it out it is super easy! i:)i

The only issue that I could see happening is if a gust of wind got under it. I suppose it could blow away since it is kept taut it would also be stiff enough to act like a kite. Unsure if that would be an issue since it lays nice and flat and is heavy enough that it shouldn't.

Let me know.

I also intend on painting a nice big red H on it just for fun. I am just not an artist so want to make a stencil or something to do it.

I have not, I will verify it for you, I am open minded, but I am telling you it is just too large a circle and heavy to get lifted. The 43" one is, I cannot say what the smaller ones would do. I will be shocked if it did that.

No way it could get sucked up. Worse case it may slide a bit but I doubt it would even do that, too large a surface.

Also remember the H is pushing down to lift off so it won't suck into it but the opposite.

Again it is NOT just a cloth circle laying there, it has a center piece that is a metal ring with white cloth on both sides then it has a large sleeve around that. That sleeve zips around that and has gold and white on one side and if you turn it inside out it has silver and black.

Worse case just take a large head nail and push that into the grass right next to it with half the nail head on the ring. 3 of those would hold it.

...yeah I thought about the wind issue too...I think some 'snap-in' grommets on 4 corners a some small tent stakes would help with that...something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-51047-Plastic-Tap-Grommet/dp/B00N1LRE0E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41EaDNjsAIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=JGXVYZB806XX33KXETTZ

...yeah I thought about the wind issue too...I think some 'snap-in' grommets on 4 corners a some small tent stakes would help with that...something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-51047-Plastic-Tap-Grommet/dp/B00N1LRE0E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41EaDNjsAIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=JGXVYZB806XX33KXETTZ

All good ideas but honestly I don't think this will be a major issue. If you lay it flat no wind should get under it and it is heavy enough to hold itself. It would take a pretty large gust.

I think tent steaks are way overkill. i:)i
I would just get a set of 3 large nails with large heads and push those in the ground around it with half the nail head over the ring. Simple and easy.

I use them on stands that hold them vertically and have had wind come along on outdoor shoots. They never gave me major issues and that is up in the air. i:)i

All good ideas but honestly I don't think this will be a major issue. If you lay it flat no wind should get under it and it is heavy enough to hold itself. It would take a pretty large gust.

I think tent steaks are way overkill. i:)i
I would just get a set of 3 large nails with large heads and push those in the ground around it with half the nail head over the ring. Simple and easy.

I use them on stands that hold them vertically and have had wind come along on outdoor shoots. They never gave me major issues and that is up in the air. i:)i
You need to try it before assuming it will be fine, not being negative, but a vortex pushes air flow down, but it also raises back up around the edge of the vortex, that is what I mean about it sucking the pad into it. especially the smaller ones you posted. I Hope it works as it is a great price and idea. I just don't want you to have it suck up into your props, Like I had a cheap landing pad I bought years back did, and tore up my pad and broke two props on my P2 + Just want you to be okay with no issues!:)

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
You need to try it before assuming it will be fine, not being negative, but a vortex pushes air flow down, but it also raises back up around the edge of the vortex, that is what I mean about it sucking the pad into it. especially the smaller ones you posted. I Hope it works as it is a great price and idea. I just don't want you to have it suck up into your props, Like I had a cheap landing pad I bought years back did, and tore up my pad and broke two props on my P2 + Just want you to be okay with no issues!:)

I was not even talking about that man. Different conversation, I was referring to a normal gust of wind blowing around it before or after the H was even on it. i:)i

No way will that gets sucked into the props. It is too large and heavy for that.

I will test it out this afternoon anyway to be sure though, as I said, you never know I guess, but I just don't see it. One way to find out! i:)i

Last edited:
I was not even talking about that man. Different conversation, I was referring to a normal gust of wind blowing around it before or after the H was even on it. i:)i

No way will that gets sucked into the props. It is too large and heavy for that.

I will test it out this afternoon anyway to be sure though, as I said, you never know I guess, but I just don't see it. One way to find out! i:)i
Was not just referring to "your" different post my friend, you posted several pictures and some of the pads were not much bigger than the H, I know you said you'd use a bigger one and you can use a bath towel for all I care to launch from, I just stated be careful ! **** to many are so sensitive and defensive on here! Even when you wish them well!:confused:

I've used street signs, large rubber door/floor work area mats, and rubber truck bed protectors cut to size. My preferences goes to the large rubber floor mats. They roll up, are easily transported, easy to clean, and heavy enough to handle prop blast and surface winds. With copters of different sizes I prefer a larger mat for one to fit all. The bed protectors are too expensive, as are horse paddock mats, which are also much too heavy. The street signs have some legality issues;)

Was not just referring to "your" different post my friend, you posted several pictures and some of the pads were not much bigger than the H, I know you said you'd use a bigger one and you can use a bath towel for all I care to launch from, I just stated be careful ! **** to many are so sensitive and defensive on here! Even when you wish them well!:confused:

Actually I was not being defensive man. That is why I used a i:)i
A smiley means take that as light joking etc... read any posts that you see a smiley as what was said is tongue and cheek man.

You said nothing offensive at all my friend, I appreciate the warning. As I said I will test it later on.

BTW the one in my picture is a 43" one and the one I will use. It is larger than the H as you can see.

Last edited:

....maybe you could have a friend stand near by shoot a little video while you take off and land on it, ...and then post here?....good luck and thanks

Okay I just went out and tested it and it worked great. I could take off and land on it, no problem. I tested it on grass and my driveway.

Now It did blow the refelector around a bit after the H was in the air and was hovering just over the outer ring as air got caught under it, but no way would it ever get caught on the H or anything. By the time it started blowing around the H was already a few feet off the ground. The reflector never lifted that much off the ground to blow up and into it, it just blew/shifted to the left a bit as I hovered a foot or two off the ground and to the right of the ring. You would also not hold a hover that low like I did usually on takeoff. Most people launch it and go up at least 6 or 10 feet straight away.

It did not move at all when taking off or landing hovering directly over it.

When landing it moved a little bit as I got low and near the outer ring again but only for a few seconds. It was fine I just adjusted over it and landed once it hovered past the ring, no real problem at all.

So could a good gust of wind could blow this around? Yes. The H itself I don't think would be of concern with its wash. I tried it about 6 times.

So worse case if you worry just use the nails like I said. I personally won't bother holding it down it worked fine for me.

Well I may get some nails to test how they work and may try them anyway though. My goal was to have something that would be easy to carry from your car to wherever you fly it. Just a very small weight on one side would probably also hold it down.

So yes this will work perfect!! At least for me. i:)i

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandon B

NP. As I said it did blow it a bit so use the nails or your tent spikes if on grass and you are worried about it. Even with that I think it is a good portable solution. That did not really bother me too much.

Maybe not prefect but it will work great for me. I hope it does for you. Keep us posted when you get it.

I just use a portable windshield sunscreen and a couple of metal coat hangers I cut to make a 'U' shape. I unfold the sunshade and put a couple of the 'U' hooks into the ground. Total cost was less than $10 and it folds up nicely for transport.

Reactions: Hulletteo
I often fly off of sand or gravel and deep grass or tall weeds.
Using an expanded metal table top mounted on a camera tripod with levels allows me to adapt to about any terrain.
The top allows air flow down and greatly reduces the bounce on the Q500 4K.
The Typhoon H does not seem to have the bounce, so far.

I added some longer pieces to the lower landing gear of the Q500 as I often had it tip forward upon landing destroying props.
Unlike my Blade 350QX, the OFF button on the Yuneecs has a delay and I have to activate it just before touchdown to prevent this.

The metal doesn't affect the compass or anything?

I like the idea of the feet extensions, especially if flying without a camera.

I intend to use a fordable reflector that I use for film making. I have a few of these and they are nice.

They collapse and fold up in a nice small package, easy to carry, and expand to a nice large area that you can actually land back down on. They even come with their own small zippered case.
They fold down into a circle about 1/4 of the expanded size.

It does not just lay on the ground like a piece of cloth, they have a metal ring that expands out when you unfold it and it keeps it taut. It is heavy enough that it should not blow away unless it is a really good gust that would get under it.

You can also choose what color is on top, white, black, silver or gold. i:)i

They come in various sizes and they are CHEAP!

31 inch one is only $13. They also come in 24" if you want.
Amazon.com : Valufoto 31" inch 5 in 1 Portable Photography Foldable Light Reflector : Camera & Photo

43 inch is only $16.
Amazon.com : Lightdow 110CM 43 Inch 5-in-1 Portable Foldable Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector Kit For Studio & Outdoor Lighting : Camera & Photo

This is the one I actually have. 43" and cost me $13 4 years ago.
Amazon.com : Neewer 43-inch / 110cm 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector with Bag - Translucent, Silver, Gold, White and Black : Photographic Lighting Reflectors : Camera & Photo

43" fits the H perfectly. They even make oval ones if you prefer that. Just search Amazon for light reflector.

You cannot beat it guys!

Here it is sitting on the folded up carrying case to give you an idea how nice it is to carry.
It is small enough folded that you could even place it in the lid of a carrying case or even in it.
View attachment 1194

Here it is on the actual pad with the white side facing up.
View attachment 1195
Down shot more or less. It was very sunny and I could not see what the camera was capturing so not as good pics as I would normally do framed wise. i:)i
View attachment 1196

I am even buying another one just for the H and am going to put a nice big red "H" on it. i:)i

I like your 'Remove Before Flight' streamer! If I were still working, I could have gotten several of them just before the plane took off! ;-)

One other thing that I do have, is bubble level in my Smart Phone. Very handy and free, too!

Mojoe35

I made my pad from a 39" round plastic patio table...cut the legs off at 12"...they just fit in pockets...trying to get a pic up but am having a time of it

Attachments

• launching pad.jpg
    launching pad.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Ddraiggoch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio