Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Let's get down to it: Steady Device

Not exactly. As I mention in the video - I designed the Steady Drive before the Plus was even released. I did so due to several short comings of cruise control on the 480, most of which I also explain in the video. Basically, smooth directional control was impossible with Trim Cruise on the 480 and that was what I set about to fix with Steady Drive. I don't really think Yuneec is going to put trim pad cruise on the Plus or 520 but even if they do, I suspect it will have similar short comings.

So, if I understand this all correctly, this device became necessary because the H Plus does not have the cruise control feature that my H Pro has? I should be able to do the same function as this, just using my cruise buttons, right?
@Ty Pilot is correct, the built in cruise control on the St16 controller is, in my opinion, lacks the ability for a smooth flying.
It tends to jerk, and if you try yawing, it really looks unprofessional especially when producing video's.
I posted a videos showing smooth flights in all direction with out having any hesitation.

I haven’t been able to use mine yet.....but, it looks to me.....that it’s simply an aid with coordinated turns. That’s what I got from the video anyway....when you talked about using yaw to change direction.....that’s like turning an aircraft with just the rudder pedals....it’s going to slip until the new direction is stabilized. Used in combination with the yoke to bank though (insert CFI screaming “Step on the ball!”) then you have a nice, coordinated turn.

If I change direction with the yaw stick, plus add a little aileron in the proper direction, it produces a nice coordinated turn, with out the slip/slide....and the burned in memory of “Step on the ball!” playing in my head.

That’s what the SteadyDrive is essentially doing....right?

Yes, you could say that
I do not use the yaw making turns, example, when I rotate to the left using the SD, the drone simple heads smoothly in that direction while the nose is always pointed in one direction. (i.e north)

My left hand is to busy panning and tilting the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Yes, you could say that
I do not use the yaw making turns, example, when I rotate to the left using the SD, the drone simple heads smoothly in that direction while the nose is always pointed in one direction. (i.e north)

My left hand is to busy panning and tilting the camera.

Dang it!!!! Roll.. I meant to say roll, not yaw. Pitch and Roll changes the directional line of flight [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

Those that have tried it know how difficult it is to fly both the right stick and left stick at the same time while also trying to use the gimbal pan knob. The third hand we don’t have becomes quite limiting. This is where using the SD on the left stick becomes pretty handy as it will maintain a constant yaw and free up a hand for gimbal control.

As Ty has mentioned, it takes a little time and practice to make full use of the SD. That practice develops our ability to pre plan an easy to execute straight or sweeping, or even a circular flight path at constant or variable speeds. Also mentioned is how it outperforms factory cruise control in some ways as moving the sticks does not automatically force an exit of the SD cruise mode and eliminates the jerky effects of tapping D pad buttons to alter directions or yaw movement.

As I don’t have a Plus I have no experience with reference to its Sport mode. With my 920 if I want speeds above ~25mph and more agility I have to turn off GPS, which almost doubles the speed. But since I almost never fly in a no wind environment there’s always wind drift to contend with and offset, and this is another area I’ve found useful with the SD as I can fly with GPS off and set it to hold a constant course at higher speed while allowing me to focus more on the camera. As it requires less time to establish a wind offset with the SD than with CC the use of SD consumes much less distance traveled to get the course line set up.

It’s a fun little tool where you get find new ways to use it over and over.

@PatR Steady Drive goes on the RIGHT stick, not sure what you meant by putting it on the left stick?

I haven’t been able to use mine yet.....but, it looks to me.....that it’s simply an aid with coordinated turns. That’s what I got from the video anyway....when you talked about using yaw to change direction.....that’s like turning an aircraft with just the rudder pedals....it’s going to slip until the new direction is stabilized. Used in combination with the yoke to bank though (insert CFI screaming “Step on the ball!”) then you have a nice, coordinated turn.

If I change direction with the yaw stick, plus add a little aileron in the proper direction, it produces a nice coordinated turn, with out the slip/slide....and the burned in memory of “Step on the ball!” playing in my head.

Since I have most of SD time on the Plus, everything I am going to describe here related to that aircraft and much pertains to the 480.

I can fly the Plus around like an airplane - rudder only and it does not slip like one might expect and in fact just how the 480 slips when using trim pad cruise. At very slow rate the aircraft remains flat, like I show when I am doing tiny figure eights in from of the camera. However when I shift this thing up into Sport mode, as the rudder is input, the aircraft is banking and at the top speeds I would guess as much as 30 to 40 degrees if i had to guess.

When the control is sent to turn (yaw), the flight controller is adding the necessary compensation to achieve the turn to the e new heading; and to do that at higher speeds it banks around like an aircraft. Unfortunately, at the higher speeds it is a little harder for me to fly and operate the ground camera to capture all of this. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Garvin
I see....I haven’t used Sport mode much at all....for what I’m doing with it, it’s just not necessary. 99% of my flying is slow, precise maneuvers close to things.

Perhaps I should block off some time out on the soccer fields for some good old yank & bank.....

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I often like to just go out and fly around in Sport Mode - Mid rate, and just marvel at the precise control I now have. It truly is the closest a multi rotor will ever get to flying like a fixed wing aircraft.

Where the Plus excels with SD over the 480 is in the minute correction of a given flight path. In the video I am able to fly 300 yards dead straight down the gravel road because I am able to make very slight adjustments that you cannot see. The 480 with cruise (trim pad) could never, and will never do that - unless it's using the SD. :cool:

One thing is for sure, upon using Steady Drive and mixing in other flight commands (specifically rudder) the whole thing comes into focus. Now the aileron control is also useful in holding a straight line, for instance if you encounter wind and it starts to drift a little just turn the SD in the gimbal well until the drift stops. But it is also useful to be able to fly towards a subject and then smoothly do a yaw of 90 degrees will adding in a 90 degree direction change to begin an orbit all in a smooth manner.

Now, thiat is one of the maneuvers that takes a lot of practice because the are factors of control that come with stick position vs rate slider position. If I don't want a lot of rudder authority for these type of combined maneuvers, I will want the stick position high and the rate slider low. Conversely, if I do want much I will use the opposite configuration (stick low - rate high)

And it is these more advanced procedures and techniques that will require a pilot to have first a sense of what it is they want to achieve, but also understanding how everything works together. I have often said there is a point at which, essentially; with SD the use of the stick amount and rate slider have sort of swapped roles. I find I am more often than not, leaving the adjuster in one position, ie the stick amount, but using the rate slider and indeed the mode switch to get the speed I want and to be able to dial it right in. Its sort of like having four speed automatic transmission.

I’ve been manually mapping again, and before y’all squeal. Manual mapping is quite rewarding if done with a sUAS that’s not marketed for the job.

The problem that I’ve had with manual mapping is altitude change, and since the SD enables heading lock..... A part 3 is the the works.

Here’s part 1:

Part two:

I would love to learn how manual mapping in 3d is done. What software are you using?
Can I use the H or does this call for an H+?

I will try on left stick, several things are going to happen.
A continuous turn, slight ascending or descending, or both attributes at the same time. Speed will vary.

4 batteries charged, lets see how many insects I can slice and what ever else gets in the way? ???These love bugs are messy!

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister
An interesting spiral, ascending or descending, with the camera fixed to the subject......

Yep, along with long, slow sweeping spirals.

When Ty sent me the beta he didn’t tell me how to use it, just how to assemble it and put in on a gimbal. From there I was on my own. Being the inquisitive sort I have used it on both sides. As I fly coordinating both sticks anyway it has proven useful in ways some may not ever try.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval