Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LiPo battery charging question / survey

Reaction score
I'm curious about battery charging and storing. How many of you use a LiPo battery charging bag or take other safety measures in case of fire or explosion while charging your batteries?

AND....

If you are not going to fly your drone for a few days or longer how do you store your batteries (charged, half charged, depleted .etc)?

I am using a LiPo bag to hold my batteries. Currently they are both charged as I expect to go fly today.

Are they safe in the bag with a full-charge? I realize they're more apt to self-ignite under those conditions but the bag should keep it under control?

Reactions: Arrowind
I have to admit, I dont use a Charging/Storage Bag when charging but I'm right there in the room while they charge.
After each flight session I always return my flown batteries to a Storage Charge until next usage. I have about 10 Batteries that I've accumulated and by having them in Storage Mode when not being used, they all are still functioning perfectly. Of course you need a better Battery Charger than the one that comes in the Q Kits to accomplish this..

I have to admit, I dont use a Charging/Storage Bag when charging but I'm right there in the room while they charge.
After each flight session I always return my flown batteries to a Storage Charge until next usage. I have about 10 Batteries that I've accumulated and by having them in Storage Mode when not being used, they all are still functioning perfectly. Of course you need a better Battery Charger than the one that comes in the Q Kits to accomplish this..

What is the definition of a storage charge ?

My Charger takes the Battery down to about 41%-43% in all cells ( appx 11.60 V total) to put the Battery in Storage Charge Mode.

Thanks Buddy. I don't have a charger that does that. That will be my next investment.

Thanks Buddy. I don't have a charger that does that. That will be my next investment.
I use a Hyperion EOS0606i, it's an old out-dated Charger but works perfectly for my Yuneec Batteries which is the only Battery I charge on it.
I actually have 2, one I keep in the Garage. You can usually find these used for around $50..
CIMG9684.JPG

I use a Hyperion EOS0606i, it's an old out-dated Charger but works perfectly for my Yuneec Batteries which is the only Battery I charge on it.
I actually have 2, one I keep in the Garage. You can usually find these used for around $50..
View attachment 213
I'm curious about battery charging and storing. How many of you use a LiPo battery charging bag or take other safety measures in case of fire or explosion while charging your batteries?

AND....

If you are not going to fly your drone for a few days or longer how do you store your batteries (charged, half charged, depleted .etc)?
John O I have mine fully charged and kept in a fridge at 12 degrees.

I've been using Lipo batteries for over 8 years. Early on, I learned the hard way about lipo care with batteries puffing. In all that time of racing locally and nationally, R/Cars I've only seen one lipo fire. Which was a father and son team new to R/C and improperly charged a pack. It didn't explode in flames, it smoldered then eventually caught fire.

What I've found works for me is;

Using a good quality charger. While I just bought a Hitec X2, I have that same Hyperion charger as above and its worked flawlessly for years.
I Don't store my lipos fully charged - I usually store mine in an after-run state which is about 25%.
I Don't run my Lipos till dead
I monitor my charging, meaning I'm usually near-by if not in the same room was where the packs are being charged
If I don't use my batteries for extended periods, I store them in an ammo can in my basement. I've stored batteries with about a 25% charge in them for over 3 years and they took a charge and ran well.
I've never used a charging bag. And by the way the reason people started using those charging bags was not to contain or prevent fires but it was a faraday shield. In the early days Lipos had that metal outer case and people thought static electricity could start a fire. So guys started using shielding bags....

I've also stored a battery for 3 years that was fully charged, which was in a plastic case like the Yuneec batteries. It had swollen so bad it split the case and you couldn't get the halves within an inch of closing.... No fire... nothing.

But as I always say, do whatever makes you feel safe...

Normally I don't use the bags during charging/discharging/maintenance.
When in storage mode - I leave the Yuneec ones in the case along with the Q500.
My other Regular Lipos I keep in ammo box in storage mode.
When charging/maintenance, I just place the batteries on a large piece of tile with the charger going.
I normally charge the night before I go fly. Once charged I leave them in a storage bag until used.
I place the used batteries in a storage bag marked used until I come home to put them all in storage mode.

Reactions: QuadBart
Just don't drop the batteries. Or let your dog chew them.
Or leave them in the hot car.
Or step on them.
Or short them out.
Or charge them when they are hot.

And you will be OK.
Keep them in a cool place - 70 degrees or below but above freezing.
Basement would be a good place if you have a basement.

Or even in a metal bucket under a tree with a tarp over the bucket.

Or in your lawnmower shed. But sheds get really hot in the summer.

Reactions: QuadBart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval