Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Locate a lost drone?

Reaction score
Locate a lost drone
One concern: what if my Typhoon H drone, friend of all my worries and joys (well, almost), runs away or gets lost? What is the cheapest possible solution without subscription that can save his life? Thanks

It is extremely unlikely you would loose your H. If the control signal is lost it will begin to return home on it's own. You can change the mode to Home at anytime just to test that function. Make certain the H is high enough to clear all objects and set the RTH altitude prior to launch.

You can also use the green arrow on the screen to fly the H back to your location. Simply move the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing. If the arrow is pointing up, the nose is facing you.

The GPS coordinates of the aircraft location is displayed on the screen. If you crash into something and you're not sure where it is, take a picture of those coordinates before shutting off the controller. That is the last known location of the H. You can enter those coordinates in Google Maps to find the location.

Always wait to launch until you have 15 satellites on the H and 11-12 on the controller.

runs away or gets lost?

A "true" fly-away is extremely rare. EXTREMELY.

Upon investigation and analysis of the log files, it is almost always found to be an operator error, though not many like to admit it, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's a really low percentage, like maybe 1% of reported incidents.

Keep it within visual line of sight, clear signal path, make sure the RTH settings are correct for the location and you have a good GPS lock. The Typhoons are solid birds.

Trackers should be separate from the UAV software. If one has been flying long enough, Murphy’s law will ruin your day. Get a small one like used to track your girlfriend. Smaller than. A key box. Don’t leave magnet on. Attach with Velcro

Most trackers require cell service to transmit their location. I rarely have cell service where I fly so it would be a complete waste of money and effort. All of the flight data is recorded on the ST16 including the GPS coordinates, heading, altitude and speed. It's your resource for information if something goes wrong. Fact is, you are more likely to be hit by lightning than loose an H.

Reactions: 7cyclops
how do those keychain tags work?
When I was looking at these a few years ago they came in 3 varieties.
1) The module transmits it's location using Cell service for which you must add a sim card.
2) The module transmits a signal which can be picked up by a receiver if it's close enough (no GPS).
3) The module emits a loud beep when keyed by a remote transmitter.

Note that 2 and 3 only work if you are within range of the drone. Perhaps 100-200'. So you must know the general location of the drone before searching.

Well..thank you all..you are reassuring.. If by chance my Typhoon H runs away, despite your "protective" words, all to the fine: a beer and by any one, "a can of "Sudden Death".!!!!

We can always look at this initiative, there is always something to draw from here or there:
an example of an application developed or under development (beacons) of the tracking of full-scale glider flights but an application for model making (gliders, paragliders, drones...)
https://www.securitedesvols.aero/images/articles/2020/initiatives/FFVP/ActionsVitales/Actions15.pdf PDF page 17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26

Interesting, even if, unfortunately, we see what applications could be made by malicious control minds

What do you think about it?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I have not used it on my Typhoon H, but I routinely use a Trackimo device with velcro attachment on some of my other drones. I am old enough to have had a DJI Phantom (first generation) and a Parrot Bebop. Those things would at times fly away. So I got in the habit of using the Trackimo. You DO have to have some type of cell coverage for it to work, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Pier2162
@Steve Carr how do those keychain tags work? (like Tile and such)
The 'Tile' uses Bluetooth and only over a short range so not any good for tracking.
The cheap small trackers on sites like ebay use cell network and sends text link to its location not a live feed like vehicle trackers which would be my option if there were a small enough one on the market.

I have not used it on my Typhoon H, but I routinely use a Trackimo device with velcro attachment on some of my other drones. I am old enough to have had a DJI Phantom (first generation) and a Parrot Bebop. Those things would at times fly away. So I got in the habit of using the Trackimo. You DO have to have some type of cell coverage for it to work, though.
Lojack. They do make a little guy. They do all the work. No need for cell phone...If I invested the money in a drone that costs as much as some of them.. I would make sure I could find it if it decides to leave for greener pastures. With the new FFA Regs coming soon, they will know where you are at all times. Betcha they could find it within a couple feet

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval