Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Losing 5Ghz at a few hundred metres

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm losing 5Ghz and video at annoyingly short distances, sometimes as little as a few hundred metres. We can see the 5Ghz signal strength dropping much faster than the 2.4 as we fly away from the controller.

If we fly the drone back to us after it's lost signal, it doesn't reconnect itself. We've had to turn off both the drone and the controller to get the 5Ghz to reconnect.

When we power them up, the 2.4 acquires quicker than the 5, which sometimes takes a minute or two. Note that the 'take-off point recorded' and 'angle mode activated' don't show on the screen until the 5G connects.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
1. You are probably using the UK firmware version on the C23. That firmware limits the output power from the camera antenna. Some owners have changed the firmware to the US version which increases the output power.
2. The telemetry information sent from the aircraft is transmitted on the 5.8 GHz signal from the camera. So there is information you will not see displayed until the camera is connected.
3. If you are using the mushroom antenna on the ST16, try the flat panel antenna (center antenna) to see if it improves the signal. You can also use an aftermarket antenna to increase signal strength.

Thanks for that, Steve.
I didn't know the power of the transmitters is limited in that way.
I've fiddled with firmware before without real issues, I updated to latest the day I got the drone. How do I go about getting a US copy of the firmware?

Use this link and download the camera.bin and versioninfo.json. Copy to an sd card, install in the camera, power on and wait till it's finished.

That is version 822 for the camera

All the lights flashed yellow the moment I turned the drone on. The controller say drone is now C23_A2008A
Motor lights flashing yellow means the aircraft it in bind mode. That generally only happens when it's inverted with the power on. After it binds to the controller the two rear motor lights should flash slow blue.

Is the camera operating normally?

It was on it's back while I was updating.
I've put it on its legs and updated it again. Rear 2 are fast flashing blue, 3 blinks per second and the camera light is flashing green, once per second

Always do updates with the aircraft sitting on a level surface and don't move it during the update.
Rapid flashing blue means the aircraft is waiting for the controller to connect. After connection it will be slow blue.
The red flashing could mean the mode is in "Home" position or the battery is low.

Full battery is in and back lights are flashing purple. According to the manual, that's angle mode without GPS lock. I took it outside and the back lights are solid purple - angle mode, GPS locked.
So as far as I can tell, we're all good. Yey.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I actually experienced the same issue today. I have a H and a H Plus and have NEVER had an issue with the camera transmission. I was flying the H+ in the same location I always do and at about 125 ft out I started getting glitches and freezing. I ended up swapping the mushroom for the flat and went out to 800 feet without issue. I've never had to do this before, not sure what happened....

We flew the drone again today in the same place as yesterday. We didn't notice any real difference in signal strength. The drone was able to reconnect the 5Ghz to the controller after having lost it, which it has never done before, but that might be placebo.
We went to a new location, just to use the other battery and decided to try the patch antenna, hoping for dramatic improvements. The patch is directional - we know that - but didn't get any improvement. In fact, the signal never got more than 2 bars, even when we were 6 metres from the drone.
How do I confirm what firmware is actually on the camera?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy