Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Loss of video

I would put the camera antenna back where it was. The camera is a balanced gimbal. Those little motors really are not made to provide much torque. Even a slight imbalance will wear them out prematurely. If you are using a patch antenna, it is directional and MUST be pointed towards the aircraft at all time. It does not take a lot to mess up a 5.8ghz signal. From everything you are posting, sounds like some interference. If you fly at a different location, do you have the same video range issue?

I would put the camera antenna back where it was. The camera is a balanced gimbal. Those little motors really are not made to provide much torque. Even a slight imbalance will wear them out prematurely. If you are using a patch antenna, it is directional and MUST be pointed towards the aircraft at all time. It does not take a lot to mess up a 5.8ghz signal. From everything you are posting, sounds like some interference. If you fly at a different location, do you have the same video range issue?
Thanks for the suggestions.
As it worked out, the ND filter balances the gimbal perfectly with my new antenna arrangement. That means it was out of balance before with ND filter.
Yes, pointed directional antenna at the drone.
No, no video range problems at my usual practice flying location. I even tested this antenna arrangement by flying low behind some evergreen trees a couple hundred feet away without loss of video signal.
Yes, I'm going to assume there is some sort of interference at the problem site. I don't need to fly there again.

There’s a lot of people out there that really like their privacy. The further away they are from the general population sprawl the more likely they are to do things to deter visitors and observation. One thing some do is employ frequency jammers, and 2.4 and 5.8MHz jammers are the most frequently sold. You may have encountered one. There are places in eastern Washington and Oregon where outsiders are not at all welcome.

Reactions: Rubik
There’s a lot of people out there that really like their privacy. The further away they are from the general population sprawl the more likely they are to do things to deter visitors and observation. One thing some do is employ frequency jammers, and 2.4 and 5.8MHz jammers are the most frequently sold. You may have encountered one. There are places in eastern Washington and Oregon where outsiders are not at all welcome.
OK. That's sure explains what was happening. Do these jammers require large antenna arrays? I didn't see any. But there are some outbuildings where things could be hidden. This location is tucked away in a ravine within a few miles of major suburban centers. Perhaps I'm lucky I only lost video and managed to retain control. Would the log files show the jamming?

Last edited:
They don’t have to be long. Although a full length antenna to handle 2.4MHz would be roughly 122.45’ long they can be shortened in the same manner the ones used on our transmitters are. Not saying what you encountered was a jammer but they are out there. Illegal, but they are in use.

They don’t have to be long. Although a full length antenna to handle 2.4MHz would be roughly 122.45’ long they can be shortened in the same manner the ones used on our transmitters are. Not saying what you encountered was a jammer but they are out there. Illegal, but they are in use.

Pat, don’t you mean 2.4 GHz and 5.4 GHz not MHz?

2.4 GHz has a wavelength of 122.45 mm (4.8 in)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval