Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lost Drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yesterday I lost my Yuneec Q500 4k drone, it took off normally but after a couple of minutes at 150 ft the drone lost GPS signal and stopped responding to the ST10, I hit the HOME switch but nothing happened I just lost visual contact and after a few minutes all camera signal. How can I find out where it landed?

Reactions: Stan Osborne
The best thing you could have done is start walking in the direction that it left with the controller still on. You may have re-acquired connection ,even if it crashed and was still transmitting. You can use the ST10 as a locator by following the green arrow. The arrow is pointing to where you are at in relation to the bird. If the arrow is pointing left, turn to the right some and start walking. This is how I found mine after a tree landing. I was LOS, but looking at the screen when I lost connection.

A couple people have reported that they went looking for theirs after they lost sight of it, only to return to where they were flying, and their Q was sitting on the ground pretty close to where it took off from waiting for them - built in RTH if connection is lost with the transmitter.

Possible that you had some massive RF interference that cause the lost connection, way too strong high altitude winds that it could not cope with, or worst case, GPS signal failure on the Q500, in which case, it has no clue where it is at, and who knows what it start's thinking other than sheer panic.

I do hope you had an SD card in the ST10 controller. Yuneec will want to see that to try to figure out what went wrong, and may be able to help you out.

Reactions: eddian
The best thing you could have done is start walking in the direction that it left with the controller still on. You may have re-acquired connection ,even if it crashed and was still transmitting. You can use the ST10 as a locator by following the green arrow. The arrow is pointing to where you are at in relation to the bird. If the arrow is pointing left, turn to the right some and start walking. This is how I found mine after a tree landing. I was LOS, but looking at the screen when I lost connection.

A couple people have reported that they went looking for theirs after they lost sight of it, only to return to where they were flying, and their Q was sitting on the ground pretty close to where it took off from waiting for them - built in RTH if connection is lost with the transmitter.

Possible that you had some massive RF interference that cause the lost connection, way too strong high altitude winds that it could not cope with, or worst case, GPS signal failure on the Q500, in which case, it has no clue where it is at, and who knows what it start's thinking other than sheer panic.

I do hope you had an SD card in the ST10 controller. Yuneec will want to see that to try to figure out what went wrong, and may be able to help you out.
thank you very much

Yesterday I lost my Yuneec Q500 4k drone, it took off normally but after a couple of minutes at 150 ft the drone lost GPS signal and stopped responding to the ST10, I hit the HOME switch but nothing happened I just lost visual contact and after a few minutes all camera signal. How can I find out where it landed?

I think an excellent feature for future copters would be some kind of homing signal that you could use a smart-phone app to track your copter if it flies off into the great beyond.

thank you very much

I've gotta think that "arrow" thing a little more. I was back in January when I did it. I know I kept making adjustments to my direction I was walking to keep the green arrow pointed at me. Got me within 50' then I heard it crying for help (Beep...Beep...Beeep)

I think an excellent feature for future copters would be some kind of homing signal that you could use a smart-phone app to track your copter if it flies off into the great beyond.

Somebody sells a standalone unit that you can attach to your quad that does this. About the size of a AAA battery I think.

I lost mine a month or so ago. I saw it go down so I had a general idea of where I needed to start looking. But even then it took a good bit of two days and part of a night to find. I did not have an SD card in the ST 10, a big no-no I have learned. I have one now plus I most all the time I attach a Trackimo to my Q 500. The remote, and "home" arrow someone mentioned didn't help me. Not much anyway, but I had only been flying 3 or 4 days so it's pretty certain I didn't know what I was doing trying to follow the arrow to where it went down. Good Luck and let us know how you come out.

Here's the link to a good tracking system works specifically for the Q500 & 4K
Flytrex - Quadcopter and Multirotor Pilots Network Also a little info on it.
When Flying with the Flytrex Live, the Live system adds an additional, independent, 3G data link, which isn't related to any of the other data links on your drone. Since this data link uses 3G technology its pretty much unlimited in distance and therefore will continue operating long after the other data links might already stop working. This means that you'll still have some data connection with your drone and will be able to locate it in the event it might get lost or crash outside of current line of site. Above link was to the homepage this link should take you to direct page. Mobile Phone Holder for RC Transmitter | Flytrex Shop

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Lewis
Tracking system would help in future flights but.....
Did you look at the controller when it went down. If it is transmitting, it should give you lat. and long. of the position. Another consideration, cost effective, and easy, tape a mailing label with your address and phone number somewhere obvious on the quad. If someone does find it, they may return it, knowing the rightful owner.

Reactions: Jersey Jigger
Did you have a SD card in the controller; if so you can look at the data and try to determine a general area where it stop transmitting data to the controller. Take the last known coordinates and look them up on google earth. Good luck!!!!!!

Yep, I fear seeing my 4k fly off on it's own. I'm saving up for a tracker, but I have it in my mind, to take a pic of the lat/long coordinates on the ST10+, when they stop changing.

I use a Marko Polo, awesome system, 100.00 cheap!! 2 mile radius, had friend place transmitter 1 1/2 miles out in the woods, took me straight there right on top of it! 2nd best investment, protects 1st against lose!

Reactions: Steve Carr
I use a Marko Polo, awesome system, 100.00 cheap!! 2 mile radius, had friend place transmitter 1 1/2 miles out in the woods, took me straight there right on top of it! 2nd best investment, protects 1st against lose!
Good idea having someone take it out then finding it yourself. I've been thinking of doing that myself with my Trackimo. I'm still experimenting with the operation of it.

If you had a sdcard in your ST10 (everyone should), plug it into your pc and look at the FlightLog folder. It will have a bunch of telemetryxxx00.csv files that record your flight data. You can upload the file to GPS Visualizer: Convert GPS files to plain text or GPX and convert it to a tracking file. Then select Google Maps and it will show your flight recording. That will give you the direction it was headed and let you pick out a search area.

Attachments

• files on card.png
    files on card.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval