Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lower altitude than take off

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has flown their H below the altitude that they took off from. I will be wanting to follow some people sliding down a hill side, and I will be taking off and controlling from the top of the hill.
Has anybody had any issues with something like this?

All I will say is fly your H.

Reactions: yuneec53
Yes, you can fly down into a valley with no problem. You can use the watch me mode with the wizard to do the same thing, but you would want to start with at least 75' above. The H will adjust altitude as it follows........within a reasonable margin.

The ASL limit is set to 8000'. If you need to fly at higher altitudes you need to contact Yuneec for special firmware to remove that limit.

I believe the altitude limit is based on AGL, not ASL. Our little copters don't reference MSL, only the change in altitude above ground level. Ground level is zero, not sea level. If you launched from a ground elevation of 5000' you would have another 8000' to go.

I was wondering if anybody has flown their H below the altitude that they took off from. I will be wanting to follow some people sliding down a hill side, and I will be taking off and controlling from the top of the hill.
Has anybody had any issues with something like this?

I regularly fly from a Clifftop along a beach. My H will NOT fly lower than take-off altitude (0 feet) when controlled from the ST16. I guess the Clifftop is about 60 ft high so when im flying over the beach I can not go lower than 60 feet.

I regularly fly from a Clifftop along a beach. My H will NOT fly lower than take-off altitude (0 feet) when controlled from the ST16. I guess the Clifftop is about 60 ft high so when im flying over the beach I can not go lower than 60 feet.
hmmm, that is a concern and yet another says you can fly lower, can we get any clarification on this before I head up a big hill with the H?

Can't answer that, I never use 'Smart' mode except for the Follow/Watch me thing. Try it and see how it works for you but my ST16 will not allow a negative Altitude. I have tried to film surfers from 10 or 20 feet above, but unless I have taken off at below that height, it's not possible, not with my H anyway.

Can't answer that, I never use 'Smart' mode except for the Follow/Watch me thing. Try it and see how it works for you but my ST16 will not allow a negative Altitude. I have tried to film surfers from 10 or 20 feet above, but unless I have taken off at below that height, it's not possible, not with my H anyway.
OK, thanks andy.

that's strange I've flown lower than take off recently. I was at Pismo Beach on huge sand dune and flew lower by 50ft I'd estimate. I changed my limits with gui and clicked the advanced tab if that makes a difference I don't know.

Getting many conflicting statements. Yuneec APV states that there is an 8000' lockout, and the firmware change is not available yet. Though, there has been others who state they have flown at higher elevations no problem.
Guess I will have to wait and see next week.

I agree with PatR that it's ground level, not sea level. And if so, **** that's a lot of altitude! The phantom is locked out at I believe 1650?!

I agree with PatR that it's ground level, not sea level. And if so, **** that's a lot of altitude! The phantom is locked out at I believe 1650?!
Well, at 8000', the air is rather thin. Flying at those altitudes, brings VRS into the forefront very strongly. Not to mention available lift and battery life. Usually, different pitch is needed at those altitudes. I am attempting contact with CS to see if there is anything available. Would really suck, though, that this trip would be a bust due to this restriction.

The props are rated to bout 5000 ft. Depends on density altitude also. This is where you could burn up one these brushless motors also. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots