Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Made a battery adapter

Reaction score
Designed a battery tray to use aftermarket batteries in the Typhoon H. I screwed up and made it a bit too short so I had to cut out the back of it. I need to add a latch. My cost at Shapeways was $44 with a 15% coupon.
It fits perfectly in the battery compartment of the H. I will make some modifications to the model file and have another one printed.
Waiting for the battery to charge fully before doing a test flight. I used a Multistar 4s 6600 mAh battery. I changed the connector to an XT-60 instead of the XT-90 that was on it. The overall weight is just a few grams heavier than the regular Typhoon H battery. I am not really expecting longer flight times, just a cheaper source of batteries. These batteries cost $42.75 from Hobbyking.DSC05081.jpg DSC05078.jpg

Reactions: Ralphy
Just did a test flight. I got 16 minutes to the first warning at 14.3 volts. I continued to fly another 2 minutes to 14.2 volts. After powering off, the battery quickly came back up to 14.86 volts and is still rising.
This was on a calm day, just a few gusts, flying slow circles at 100 feet. temperature was 67 F. Battery was warm after the flight but not more than the Yuneec batteries.

Reactions: Merlin
Thanks, that's useful info.
Do you have a way to measure how much you will charge?
Would be nice doing a test letting the TH hover for exactly 10 o 15 minutes and see if consumption changes or not, compared to what I measured. I bet not, because those batteries are 10C (am I right?), probably similar to the original one.
It will probably change using higher C rated batteries and flying dynamically (more drain and hotter motors).
Ric

Thanks, that's useful info.
Do you have a way to measure how much you will charge?
Would be nice doing a test letting the TH hover for exactly 10 o 15 minutes and see if consumption changes or not, compared to what I measured. I bet not, because those batteries are 10C (am I right?), probably similar to the original one.
It will probably change using higher C rated batteries and flying dynamically (more drain and hotter motors).
Ric
Yes, I am charging it now. I will post the total mAh that is put back in. I tested it flying the way I would normally do when shooting video, slow and smooth. Yes, they are 10c batteries. There is an 8000 mAh battery that would fit, but it is more than 100 g heavier so I am not sure if there would be much to gain. It is only a dollar more in cost so maybe I will try one.

My charger says I put back 5830 mAh which hardly seems believable. That would mean 88% of capacity used unless the real capacity is higher than stated (very unlikely.) Battery was at 14.9 volts when I started charging. This was the first cycle of the battery. I normally prefer to use no more than 80% of the battery capacity for maximum charge cycles.

If it's a Multistar battery, that's about the best it will get and then degrade from there. It is nowhere near the 10c rating. I only use them on the lightest quads because they are cheap; $15 for 5200 earlier this year from HK.

Since the H FC does not have current or voltage limiting, be very careful with the throttle as the battery level drops.

My charger says I put back 5830 mAh which hardly seems believable. That would mean 88% of capacity used unless the real capacity is higher than stated (very unlikely.) Battery was at 14.9 volts when I started charging. This was the first cycle of the battery. I normally prefer to use no more than 80% of the battery capacity for maximum charge cycles.
Thanks, that's matching what I measured also, total A = ~19A
You could try a discharge cycle to see how much you can get out ... or just use it and enjoy.
By the way I'm using few Multistar 3S and 4S on a Vortex. I have to admit I did not take much care of them, deep discharge, left charged etc, but they are surviving with dignity.
Ric

If it's a Multistar battery, that's about the best it will get and then degrade from there. It is nowhere near the 10c rating. I only use them on the lightest quads because they are cheap; $15 for 5200 earlier this year from HK.

Since the H FC does not have current or voltage limiting, be very careful with the throttle as the battery level drops.
I am well aware of the pros and cons of the Multistar batteries. I have been using them on home built multirotors for quite a while. They have worked very well for my waterproof quads and they are cheap. They do have quite a bit of sag. I am even using them on my electric bicycle.

Just for fun, I tried a 4000 mAh 4S Multistar battery in my battery adapter for the H. I have several of these lying around from home made quads. They are well used and puffed a bit. They weigh a lot less than the standard battery and of course have a lot less capacity.
The H lifted off and flew just fine with this battery. I got 6 1/2 minutes till the first low battery warning at 14.3 volts. I continued to fly for another 1 1/2 minutes until 14.2 volts. When I turned off the motors, the voltage rose to 15.0 and after a few minutes, it was 15.2 volts, so I could have pushed it farther. This was slow flying as I would do shooting video in 60 degree temperature with no wind. Anyway, it's nice to know I could use these in a pinch for short flights. I have ordered 2 more of the 6600 mAh Multistars which seem to be a good match to the original as far as weight and capacity.

Multistar 8000mah guys 49.99 and you get 24min real minutes of flight. Nice tray!

Beware of buyers who expect you to sell it for less than the cost of production.

I have no plans to sell them. I am waiting for the MS 8000 mAh ones to be in stock in the USA. I have a different plan for them.

I have no plans to sell them. I am waiting for the MS 8000 mAh ones to be in stock in the USA. I have a different plan for them.

You know they get it from hongkong to your doorstep in 4 days via dhl. Ive had domestic orders from them that take longer than international. We gotta get these deals before the T breaks things off with the Asians.

Screenshot_2016-12-07-16-20-23-1.png

Has anyone thought of developing a 18650 based pack for the H they have double the power output per gram compared to lipoly technology.

You guys saw this , we can basically copy away now legally in the US.

Samsung scores unanimous Supreme Court win over Apple

This is exactly what I want and the ability to use a multistar 8000 mil battery with a xt60 plug how do I get one of these trays

This is exactly what I want and the ability to use a multistar 8000 mil battery with a xt60 plug how do I get one of these trays

John,

There are several options, on thigiverse one of the members posted the file for free for you to 3d print your own. I have V1.0 trade in that you can have for $25 plus shipping. Yes it has an xt60 built in for battery swaps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval