Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Made a short video mash up

Reaction score
Made a mashup of my weekend drone excursions over this past summer. I try to get out every weekend and video something somewhat interesting.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed capturing the images.

(Set your YouTube to 1080p ;)

Last edited:
Absolutely Beautiful shots. Thee cameras really are amazing. Better than my Mavic Air even

Reactions: Done-guy
As a side point of interest; what's everyone's preference on transitions? Long fade? Short fade? No fade? Something other than a fade? A dissolve? What's the consensus on what works best in a professional way, or what do clients like to see and use?

I haven't done anything for money yet, still getting my feet wet and trying to learn my craft but curious what type of fade is used most for a professional project, say like a real estate video? I'd just like to pursue this as a side gig if possible but would obviously want to create the most professional looking project as I can. Certainly don't want to put a crappy effort into it. Along those lines, what's the most common used, or professional, color settings? Or is it just whatever a client wants? Is there a defacto standard setting that's used? Darker images, or lighter?

Thanks

The transitions you used are called cross-fades in PowerDirector. Those are the ones I prefer with a short duration just as you have done. It provides a smooth transition between clips. If you use really short clips of 1-5 seconds, then you don't want any transitions.
Appearance of color saturation, brightness and contrast are personal choices. I see way too many videos that suffer from lack of attention to this. Washed out, over exposed, dark and low contrast are objectionable and verify an amateur behind the wheel.

The transitions you used are called cross-fades in PowerDirector. Those are the ones I prefer with a short duration just as you have done. It provides a smooth transition between clips. If you use really short clips of 1-5 seconds, then you don't want any transitions.
Appearance of color saturation, brightness and contrast are personal choices. I see way too many videos that suffer from lack of attention to this. Washed out, over exposed, dark and low contrast are objectionable and verify an amateur behind the wheel.

Thanks bud.

I think I’m awful at post-editing color/exposure/contrast etc. I never really know what should look right and what looks wrong, especially while playing with clips on the timeline and a not very good resolution on the playback window while in the actual editing program. Ive been exporting it out (which can take 10-15 minutes), then playing it back in VLC and realizing something is way off....so then have to go back to the drawing board. I also seem to favor a darker contrast-image but don’t know if that’s what I should be going for?

You say it’s a personal preference, which is true, but is my personal preference wrong against “industry” standards? I love captain crunch berry cereal, it’s my preference, and makes me happy when I eat it, but if I open a grocery store and only sell that item will I be successful? Guess what I’m saying or asking, is there a collective preference for clients with regard to a certain setting? I’m probably asking a dumb question, or one that really doesn’t have an answer...but, I guess that’s why this forum exists. Lol

Nicely done!

Watch out for repetitive motion, let alone shots. I found myself getting queasy with the many spins. Even though different subjects, the motion was the same.

As for your questions regarding exposure, contrast, saturation, as well as transitions... a couple suggestions:

1) be your own toughest critic. If you like it and are satisfied, others will likely approve. If something does not sit or feel right, fix it or remove the segment.

2) pay attention to those seemingly annoying commercial breaks when watching the television. Catch the ones with obvious or even subtle drone work. Pay attention to how they flow, the lighting, all your concerns.

Amazing how a seemingly 1 or 2 second clip can have an impact on the story being told, when done creatively and cleanly.

Good luck and keep flying and learning!

Jeff

P.S. and keep sharing!

Nicely done!

Watch out for repetitive motion, let alone shots. I found myself getting queasy with the many spins. Even though different subjects, the motion was the same.

As for your questions regarding exposure, contrast, saturation, as well as transitions... a couple suggestions:

1) be your own toughest critic. If you like it and are satisfied, others will likely approve. If something does not sit or feel right, fix it or remove the segment.

2) pay attention to those seemingly annoying commercial breaks when watching the television. Catch the ones with obvious or even subtle drone work. Pay attention to how they flow, the lighting, all your concerns.

Amazing how a seemingly 1 or 2 second clip can have an impact on the story being told, when done creatively and cleanly.

Good luck and keep flying and learning!

Jeff

P.S. and keep sharing!

Thanks so much Jeff, excellent excellent advice! I will take it.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop