Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Managing the batteries w/o extra equiptment

Reaction score
Ok,

I am very new to the drone world as this is my first drone. I have identified the first issue that I want help on. Managing the batteries to keep them in tip top shape.

I would love to hear from many on how they do it?

I ran my 2 batteries down to roughly half (using the controller as the gauge) but know there must be a better way!

Good question... short answer below, but searching the forum for "Lipo battery care" will yield a large repository of info on the subject in this forum, including this sticky thread here

LiPo battery care

To the point, you will need to upgrade your charger that is supplied with the H. However this fact contradicts the title of your post. You will need some sort of extra equipment... You could choose a self contained charger that is dedicated to the H batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/Morpilot-Typhoon-Intelligent-Hexacopter-Controller/dp/B071W1DBZP/

That will give you the minimum of being able to charge 2 batteries and have a storage charge/discharge function.

If you you are serious about battery care, you will want to get a charger with the capabilities of balance charging, storage discharging... and being able to read not only individual cell voltages, but also measuring individual cell internal resistance. To do that you need to go to 3rd party chargers designed for several battery types, which will require adapter cables for your H batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger-Battery-Discharger-AC150W/dp/B0787V6XQW/

Yuneec Typhoon H Battery Plug Cable for Chargers

Until you get one of the above suggestions... if you fly the H down to a voltage of 14.5V, the at-rest voltage will usually bounce back fairly close to the 15.2V you want to store at.

Last edited:
Everyone says it, but could someone quickly explain WHY the shipped charger is not good enough ? Apart from it's lack of 'smartness', it does actually charge and balance the batteries right ? Although I think I have only ever seen the balance light come on in the first charge of my brand new batteries. But apart from the speed (2 hrs doesn't seem that bad to me) and the fact we can only do 1 at once, is there actually anything wrong with the way it charges or balances ?

Most of your answers are in the sticky thread I referred to above. Charging and balancing are only the bare minimum requirements for safe use. Here's the deal... Yuneec OEM chargers will work fine... but if you want to maximize the life of these batteries, you need to go beyond those minimum requirements.

Aftermarket chargers will provide that additional level of providing information, to monitor your batteries condition... as well as the additional storage charging/discharging to maximize both the life of the batteries as well as their safe storage. From the perspective of Yuneec, they couldn't give a crap how quickly you go through batteries... more battery sales for them.

Reactions: ZebraDude and AeroJ
Most of your answers are in the sticky thread I referred to above. Charging and balancing are only the bare minimum requirements for safe use. Here's the deal... Yuneec OEM chargers will work fine... but if you want to maximize the life of these batteries, you need to go beyond those minimum requirements.

Thanks EE. So, even if I fly every pack down to 14.7V, using only the Yuneec charger will limit my cycles in a way that a 3rd party one wouldn't ? I guess I am trying to find out if there is anything different about the way it actually charges the pack, rather than what extra features the 3rd party ones have... do you see what I mean ? :)

Reactions: ZebraDude
I see what you mean, and the answer is that the Yuneec charger does the minimum needed to get you back in the air without regard to giving you the information needed to take care of your batteries.

Do all the chargers charge? Yes.
Do they all provide balance charging? Yes, though the Yuneec charger does not provide any readout of the individual cell voltage levels.

Can you check those individual levels with a voltmeter? Sure, but if the charger provides that information for you, one less thing to concern yourself with.

What the 3rd party chargers do that the OEM charger does not do, is give you individual readouts on the voltages of individual cells. Ideally you want those voltages to be the same, and THAT is what the balancing does. Individually charging cells to the same voltage... no cell gets overcharged nor undercharged. Seeing a significant difference in cell voltages is what can give indications of oncoming failure.

Same goes for internal resistance... you want not only relatively low readings, but any measurements that one or more cells have a significant difference in IR is an indicator that the battery is on it's way out. Heat is the enemy of all batteries... IR creates heat, which accelerates the chemical processes that produce internal gases and swelling. Once a battery shows signs of swelling, it needs to be disposed of, or the fire risk becomes too high. As you can see, the parameters of monitoring your batteries has ramifications far beyond just having the additional expense of unnecessary battery replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZebraDude and AeroJ
Thanks again EE, that does make things a lot clearer ! Good news is I have the adapter for the H packs on order, and I already have a 2-14S Balance charger from my early Naza-M days, so will start using that when it arrives (not the Naza M, that's gone in the bin :) )

Reactions: ZebraDude
Thank you all for your help. I'm a old nerd and I had no idea how sensitive the LiPo batteries are. I will have to save up some funds to purchase that charger and adapter.

It's a learning experience. [emoji16]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital