Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Meshroom-Open Source Photogrammetry Software

Reaction score
It is quite impressive and it costs nothing

I have found out about it by watching the following video. A guy has created a 3d model of a stump by just walking around it with his mobile phone and taking pictures of an object from different angles.

Has anybody tried it for 3d mapping with a drone or it is not suitable for it?[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave this a try as I'm trying out all the different photogrammetry options that I can find. Meshroom seemed very promising until it got to the 3D stage and then it crapped out on me. Turns out for that part it needs a CUDA enabled GPU (Nvidia Quadro) but my GPU is AMD (WXPro) so not compatible. End of the story for that one, shame as it was quite a friendly UI for a noob like me.

I cannot try it as well. It needs 64 bit OS and even though my laptop is 64 bit I have to use windows 7 32 bit because of some drivers for my business equipment that have only 32 bit version. I hope someone with 64 bit OS can try it and see if there is any way it can be used for drone mapping.

I cannot try it as well. It needs 64 bit OS and even though my laptop is 64 bit I have to use windows 7 32 bit because of some drivers for my business equipment that have only 32 bit version. I hope someone with 64 bit OS can try it and see if there is any way it can be used for drone mapping.
I'm not sure it would be suitable for mapping but certainly for part of the process of making a 3D render from some images taken via drone.
So far for mapping I've tried:
Pix4D
PrecisionMapper
DroneMapper
OpenDroneMap

They all give a wide array of outputs which can then be used with things like QGIS/GRASS for GIS application or Blender/MeshLab for 3D work.

Thinking of writing up a blog article with a comparison of them all.

I'm not sure it would be suitable for mapping but certainly for part of the process of making a 3D render from some images taken via drone.
Pix4D
PrecisionMapper
DroneMapper
OpenDroneMap

They all give a wide array of outputs which can then be used with things like QGIS/GRASS for GIS application or Blender/MeshLab for 3D work.

good idea.
I seem to have found a good base of using Precision mapper, Autodesk Recap, QT reader and the very complex QGIS at the moment, seems to work well for me.

Reactions: MrMotley
Pix4D
PrecisionMapper
DroneMapper
OpenDroneMap

Please write that blog. There are some of us who could use this information as to what programs to use and to know what other programs needed also to create a professional product. I just upgraded from the H+ to the H520 and could use this information. The other part of this forum is that there is not much information on Youtube about these products with the use of Yuneec, most of the content is with drones from that other company, I am trying not to curse here. Any information shared would be highly appreciated.

I know what you mean. It's been a really steep lurking curve and I've only feel I have seen the tip of the iceberg! There is so little info out there, I'm going to work on a short YouTube video/blog. I'm by no means an expert so it'll be the blind leading the blind.
Please write that blog. There are some of us who could use this information as to what programs to use and to know what other programs needed also to create a professional product. I just upgraded from the H+ to the H520 and could use this information. The other part of this forum is that there is not much information on Youtube about these products with the use of Yuneec, most of the content is with drones from that other company, I am trying not to curse here. Any information shared would be highly appreciated.

I've just posted a thread on the Help section about this. I haven't gone in to the 3D stuff as I haven't got my head around that bit fully yet! Click here to see the thread: Software comparison

Reactions: seowashdc
I've just posted a thread on the Help section about this. I haven't gone in to the 3D stuff as I haven't got my head around that bit fully yet! Click here to see the thread: Software comparison
Thanks for this, because I'm at the point right now trying to compare software tools, and the first hurdle for some of them is that I'd have to upgrade either my existing computer or go buy another one that has the processor and video capability to produce deliverables. I'm looking forward to reading this when I have some time. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie