Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

More Winter Snow, For Steve Carr. LOL

Reaction score
This is what Steve Carr is dealing with;
@Steve Carr ,
Can you take the H out and show how beautiful it looks?

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/ WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to locally 12 inches expected. The heaviest snow, of more than an inch per hour at times, will occur this afternoon, before gradually diminishing this evening. * WHERE...Ontonagon, Gogebic and Southern Houghton Counties. * WHEN...Until 7 AM EST /6 AM CST/ Wednesday. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will become very difficult. Heavy snow and patchy blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility. The hazardous conditions will impact the evening commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather conditions will make travel very hazardous or impossible. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. &&
Statement as of Feb 12, 2019

Last edited:
How accurate are weather warnings in US? Here you can get a severe weather warning and no snow!

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT

Welcome to my world! One Winter Storm Warning after another, bringing record snow. We are digging out from a once-in-20-year snowfall event. 2' of snow may be nothing for @Steve Carr and you guys in Northeast, but this is the '"Banana Belt", of Washington, people here don't even own snow shovels, let alone know what one is or how to use it.:rolleyes: Worse yet, no one here has any experience driving in snow -let alone more that foot, so even if you come here from snow country, it is a dangerous place to drive when the idiots come out to learn!:eek:

Just cleaning off my truck so I can plow again. It was over the top of the cab so I had to shovel some snow out of the box to see through the rear window.

20190212_202909.jpg

My old neighbor from Oregon sent me a text yesterday telling me I was missing another good one. A picture of the shared duplex roof and driveway. 2' of snow in the driveway with another 2' expected last night. Her husband works for the city, deals with keeping the roads clear and has racked up 24 hours of overtime in 3 days. One thing I certainly don't miss is having to chisel the cracks in the car door frame after a freezing rain, something the Pacific North West gets its fair share of.

I can truly empathize with folks living in snow zones. Snow looks great on a mountain top and ski slopes, and no place else.

Total snow accumulations of 6 to locally 12 inches expected. The heaviest snow, of more than an inch per hour
It rarely snows here in Jun, Jul or Aug.
By the way, the forecast was wrong. 16" out there right now.
Snow on the ground: 48"

1550042641350.png

One thing I certainly don't miss is having to chisel the cracks in the car door frame after a freezing rain, something the Pacific North West gets its fair share of.
I can truly empathize with folks living in snow zones. Snow looks great on a mountain top and ski slopes, and no place else.
Winter driving in the PNW is complicated by many factors that other places don't experience, creating a unique driving experience that is constantly changing, even around the next curve. Not only do we have freezing rain to deal with, snow comes with temps that are barely freezing. Not only is it not cold enough to make a hard surface the snow tires can grip , the extremely high moisture content of the relatively warm snow here sometimes makes it feel like you're driving on ball bearings when it's falling, regardless of your tires. With realitively warm daytime temps, road conditions can vary from bare and wet, to hard packed snow & ice, to bear & wet, to slush repeatedly every 500 to 1000 yards. Keeps you constantly on your toes! The biggest mistake people from the Northeast make is assuming their experience applies here. They are the first ones in the ditches! :rolleyes:

We had 4 inches of snow yesterday starting at 9. Am. By 12 pm it turned to heavy sleet. At 9 pm it turned to moderate freezing rain... temp 22 f.
Took me 10 minutes just to get truck door open. Welcome to New England

10c at the moment in North West England. We had significant snow about a fortnight ago but non forecast for now

Fortnight? meaning same as yesterday?
ohhh I just looked it up, it means 14 days ago.

10c at the moment in North West England. We had significant snow about a fortnight ago but non forecast for now
so I'm being a bit obnoxious this morning, what do you mean by significant? ¼"?
Ok, I'll admit I'm mostly not so obnoxious.o_O:oops:

Fortnight? meaning same as yesterday?
Fortnight = Two weeks (Fourteen nights)

I'm sorry, I sometimes lose sight of the fact that people from other counties may not 'cotton on' to some UK English terms/idioms

btw. 'Cotton on' is the same as saying 'to realize' or 'understand' or begin to understand'. Literally, to 'cotton on' is the term given to the an act of starting a new bobbin of cotton in an industrial cotton spinning ring room in a cotton mill. The term is historical and was confined to the cotton spinning towns in the North West of England. Someone living in the south of England, say, may not recognize the term.

Reactions: AH-1G
so I'm being a bit obnoxious this morning, what do you mean by significant? ¼"?
Ok, I'll admit I'm mostly not so obnoxious.o_O:oops:
LOL. These days significant is anything more than a couple of inches. Not like we had years ago when we had 'proper' snow. I remember in '63 the snow drifting up to the roof line. Don't get that any more.

Reactions: AH-1G
LOL. These days significant is anything more than a couple of inches. Not like we had years ago when we had 'proper' snow. I remember in '63 the snow drifting up to the roof line. Don't get that any more.
Not so many vehicles around then, not the blame culture, not so much Health and Safety, probably more common sense and determination to go around our daily business. 1982 was bad remember 20ft snow drifts.

Winter driving in the PNW is complicated by many factors that other places don't experience...

The biggest mistake people from the Northeast make is assuming their experience applies here. They are the first ones in the ditches! :rolleyes:

Totally agree! However, those that are careful can do well. I managed to get through 9 winters in Hood River with a two wheel drive pick up and a pair of studded snow tires and never needed to chain up. There were a few roads that were steep enough at the stop signs only a 4 wheel drive could get through on the uphill though, and if I could have afforded one I would have gladly driven a 4WD instead.

Not so many vehicles around then, not the blame culture, not so much Health and Safety, probably more common sense and determination to go around our daily business. 1982 was bad remember 20ft snow drifts.
I remember that one in '82 too. I got stuck in Northampton and had to book into a hotel for the night, Still wasn't as bad as the one in '63 though :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital